1. India and Russia joint military exercise Indra 2016 begins:
- The 8th edition of India-Russia 11-days joint military exercise ‘INDRA-2016’ has begun in the Ussiriysk District in Vladivostok, Russia.
- The main focus is on Counter-Terrorism Operations in semi-mountainous and jungle terrain under United Nations Mandate.
- The ‘INDRA’ series of annual bilateral exercises and is one of the major bilateral defence cooperation initiatives between India and Russia since 2003.
2. IAF successfully test fires long range air-to-air MICA missile:
- Indian Air Force (IAF) has successfully fired long-range air-to-air MICA missile from Mirage-2000 Upgrade combat aircraft on a manoeuvring target.
- The missile achieved a direct hit on a target which was much smaller than an actual aircraft and flying at a low altitude.
- IAF has become one of the few air forces in the world that have the capability of launching such beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile.
3. Tamil film Visaranai selected as India’s official entry to Oscars 2017:
- The Tamil film “Visaranai” has been selected as the India’s official entry to Oscars 2017 (89th Academy Awards) in the Foreign Language Film category.
- The film has been directed by Vetrimaran and is produced by actor Dhanush’s Wunderbar Films. It is based on M.Chandrakumar’s novel Lock Up.
4. Delhi government raises Doctors retirement age to 65:
- The Delhi government has increased the retirement age of city government services doctors to 65 years.
- Earlier, the retirement age of doctors was 62 years.
- The Lieutenant Governor (LG) Najeeb Jung has given his approval to government’s proposal to increase the retirement age of doctors.
- Earlier, in May 2016 Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced raising the age of retirement of government doctors to 65 years.
5. PM approves constitution of two committees for birth centenary of Pt. Deendayal Upadhyay:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the constitution of two committees for the commemoration of the birth centenary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay.
- Modi will head the 149 member National Committee while Home Minister Rajnath Singh will chair the 23 member Executive Committee.
- Former Prime Ministers Atal Bihari Vajpayee and H.D. Deve Gowda, Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley and Manohar Parrikar, former Deputy Prime Minister LK Advani and BJP President Amit Shah are the members of National Committee.
6. Sanjiv Singh is new Chairman of Indian Oil Corporation:
- Sanjiv Singh (56-year) will be the new Chairman of nation’s biggest company (by revenue) Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
- He will replace B Ashok on his superannuation at end of May 2017.
- Singh is currently Director of Refineries at IOC since 1st July 2014.
7. Govt. to launch Mission Parivar Vikas for improved family planning services:
- Union Government to launch Mission Parivar Vikas in seven states (145-districts) for improved family planning services.
- These 145-districts having the highest total fertility rates are in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Assam.
- Its main objective of the mission is to accelerate access to high-quality family planning choices based on information, reliable service and supplies within a rights-based framework.
8. Tamil Nadu govt. for Thaaliku Thangam scheme under marriage assistance programme:
- The Tamil Nadu government has allotted Rs 204 crore towards the implementation of the enhanced gold scheme under a marriage assistance programme.
- Rs 204 crore has been allotted for ‘Thaaliku Thangam’ (Gold for Mangalsutra) scheme for the year 2016-17 to benefit 12,500 women.
9. Delhi Government to have state-level bravery awards:
- The Delhi government has cleared a proposal of having state-level bravery awards.
- These awards will be given out on Independence Day (15-August) and Republic Day (26th-January) every year.
- Ten awards will be given and will carry a cash award of 2 lakh rupees each.
- The winners will be selected as per the nominations by the public.
10. Arun Goyal appointed Additional Secretary in GST Council:
- Senior IAS officer Arun Goyal has been appointed as Additional Secretary in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council.
- The Council, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, is mandated to decide on tax rate, exempted goods and the threshold limit.
11. Hindi and Urdu writer Reoti Saran Sharma passes away:
- Reoti Saran Sharma, the renowned Hindi and Urdu writer, playwright and television personality, died in New Delhi on 23 September 2016.
- He was 92 years.
12. Sania Mirza & Barbora Strycova lift Toray Pan Pacific Open tennis trophy:
- India’s Sania Mirza and her Czech partner Barbora Strycova have lifted the Toray Pan Pacific Open trophy in Tokyo.
- They win over unseeded Chinese pair of Chen Liang and Zhaoxuan Yang straight-set (6-1, 6-1) in the final of the women’s doubles event.
- This is Sania and Strycova’s 2nd title in three tournaments since they have paired together.
13. Velavan Senthilkumar wins squash U-19 Asian title in Kuala Lumpur:
- India’s Velavan Senthilkumar (from Chennai) bagged the Under-19 Asian Junior Individual squash championship title in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Senthilkumar beat Jordan’s Mohammad Al-Sarraj (12-14, 9-11, 11-6, 11-8, 11-7) to claim the title.