1. 15 September: International Day of Democracy:
- Today, International Democracy Day is being observed to raise public awareness about the democratic system.
- This year’s theme is “Democracy and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”.
- The UN General Assembly had decided in November 2007 to observe ‘International Democracy Day‘ every year on 15th September.
2. Priyanka Chopra among world's 10 highest paid TV actresses: Forbes
- Bollywood queen Priyanka Chopra is in the top 10 in Forbes magazine's annual list of best-paid television actresses.
- Colombian-American actress Sofia Vergara topped the rich list for the fifth time in a row.
- Priyanka ranked 8th on Forbes world's highest-paid actresses with an earning of $10 million.
3. Nawazuddin appointed brand ambassador of UP farmers’ scheme:
- The Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has appointed Bollywood actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui as the brand ambassador of its flagship programme ‘Samajwadi Kisan Beema Yojana‘.
- The scheme provides for cashless treatment up to Rs 2.5 lakh and Rs. one lakh for the organ transplant.
4. Jim Yong Kim heads for second term as World Bank president:
- Jim Yong Kim is heading for another five-year term as president of the World Bank.
- Kim, 56, has focused the World bank on programs to reduce extreme poverty.
- Kim's first term ends on June 30, 2017.
5. Vice-President to represent India at 17th NAM Summit:
- Vice-President Md. Hamid Ansari will represent India at the upcoming 17th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM).
- The Summit will be held at Margarita Island in Venezuela on 17th and 18th September.
- India hosted the 7th NAM Summit in 1983 in New Delhi and last NAM Summit was hosted by Iran in 2012.
- The summit will be preceded by deliberations at the Ministerial and Senior Official levels.
6. India Declares itself Free from Avian Influenza (H5N1):
- The Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries in the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers welfare has declared India free from Avian Influenza (H5N1) from 5th September, 2016.
- India had notified outbreak of Avian Influenza (H5N1) on 09 May 2016 at Humnabad, Bidar district, Karnataka.
7. 196% growth registers in tourist arrival in August 2016:
- A total of over 66 thousand tourists arrived in August this year as compared to around 22 thousand during the month of August 2015.
- Over 196% growth has been registered in tourist arrival on e-Tourist Visa in August this year over the same period last year.
- E-Tourist Visa facility is available for citizens of 150 countries arriving at 16 Airports in India.
8. Uttarakhand governor releases book by author Nagrath:
- Uttarakhand Governor K K Paul has released a book titled 'Shanti ki Talaash mein Zindagi' written in Hindi by Haridwar-based author and journalist Radhika Nagrath.
9. Defence Minister launches re-designed website of DDP:
- Today, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has launched the re-designed website of Department of Defence Production (DDP) in New Delhi.
- The website has used the Content Management Framework (CMF) developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- The website provides news updates, policies, procedures, publications, directory of officials and media contents.
10. Axis Bank, BHU team up for banking courses:
- Axis Bank has tied up with Faculty of Commerce at Banaras Hindu University (BHU) to offer specialised banking courses.
- The partnership will offer courses like Master of Financial Management (MFM), Masters in Commerce (M.Com.), Master of Financial Management (Risk & Insurance),Master of Foreign Trade etc.
- The courses will be designed to introduce the students to functioning of banking industry in India and to academically and vocationally prepare them for corporate world.
11. Hiroshi Nakagawa takes over as Chairman of Isuzu Motors India:
- Japanese automobile maker Isuzu Motors has appointed Hiroshi Nakagawa as the Chairman of Isuzu Motors India (IMI).
- Hiroyasu Miura, the erstwhile Chairman of IMI will take over as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Isuzu Engineering Business Centre India Pvt Ltd (IEBCI).
- Isuzu Motors Limited is a Japanese commercial vehicle and diesel engine manufacturing company headquartered in Tokyo.
12. India Blue wins 2016-2017 Duleep Trophy tournament:
- Gautam Gambhir-led India Blue has won the day/night Duleep Trophy Cricket tournament (55th season) played with a pink ball (5-day)in Greater Noida.
- In the Final, they defeated India Red captained by Yuvraj Singh by 355 runs.
- Cheteshwar Pujara was named the Player of the Match.
- Ravinder Jadeja bagged 5 wickets in the second innings, finished the game with a 10-wicket.
13. Indian cyclists bag 6 medals on opening day of 2016 Track Asia Cup:
- Indian Cyclists won six medals, including 3 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze on the opening day of the Track Asia Cup 2016 in New Delhi.
- The medal winners for India include Deborah Herold, Kezia Vargheese, Alena Reji, Rajkumari Devi, Nayana Rajesh and Anu Chutia.
14. Graeme Hick signs deal to become Australia’s batting coach :
- Former England batsman Graeme Hick (50-year)has been appointed as Australia’s new full-time batting coach until March 2020.
- Hick has been Cricket Australia’s high-performance coach since 2013.
- Hick will take up his post before Australia host South Africa for three tests later this year.