1. Ajinkya Rahane & Rohit Sharma conferred with Arjuna Award:
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel has conferred Arjuna Awards on cricketers Rohit Sharma (for 2015) and Ajinkya Rahane (for 2016) at a function in New Delhi.
- Earlier, the two cricketers could not receive the awards from the President Pranab Mukherjee as they were participating in international tournaments.
- The Arjuna Awards are given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, the government of India to recognize outstanding achievement in National sports from 1961.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 500,000, a bronze statue of Arjuna and a scroll.
2. Mormugao launched today at Mumbai’s Mazgaon Dock:
- Indian Navy’s 2nd guided missile destroyer “Mormugao” has launched at Mumbai’s Mazgaon Dock by Chief Guest Mrs. Reena Lanba, wife of Admiral Sunil Lanba (Chief of the Naval Staff).
- The ship will be fitted out and inducted into the Navy two years later.
- The first ship of project 15B class destroyers was launched in ‘Visakhapatnam’(launched on 20th April in 2015).
- The Mormugao spans 163 meters in length and is powered by 4 Ukrainian gas turbine engines to achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- The Mormugao is armed with the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, which can hit targets at land and at sea 300 km away.
3. All India Radio Launches Balochi Website, Mobile App:
- All India Radio (AIR) has been launched a website and mobile app for its Balochi service to reach people who speak this language across the globe.
- The move to start an AIR web service comes in the backdrop of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Independence Day speech in which he had brought up the issue of Pakistani atrocities on people of Balochistan and PoK.
4. WRD signs MoU with Agriculture Ministry to take up organic farming:
- The Union Water Resources Ministry (WRD) Uma Bharti and Agriculture Ministry Radha Mohan Singh has signed a MoU in New Delhi to encourage farmers of over 5,000 villages along the Ganga to take up organic farming .
- It will help curb pollution caused by chemical fertiliser-laden runoff in the river.
- The Agriculture Ministry will develop organic farming in each Gram Panchayat representing a cluster under “Paramaparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana“.
5. Bihar CM Nitish launches website on 350th Prakash Utsav:
- Chief Minister of Bihar Nitish Kumar has launched a website to provide information on the celebration of 350th Prakash Utsav (three days) of the first Sikh guru Guru Gobind Singh.
- The website has been developed by tourism department and provides information to visitors about how to reach Patna and where to stay during the function.
- Visitors are expected to arrive in the mega event which is scheduled in January 2017.
6. HAL gets membership of APAQG with voting rights:
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited on Friday has been conferred the prestigious membership of the Asia-Pacific Aerospace Quality Group (APAQG)under the category 'Full Member with voting rights'.
- This makes India the seventh nation to join the APAQG under the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG).
7. Atul Kumar Goel takes charges as ED in UBI:
- General Manager of Allahabad Bank Atul Kumar Goel has taken charge as Executive Director (ED) in Union Bank of India (UBI).
- The appointment is for a period of 3 years.
8. Telangana signs MoU to help Goa in IT development:
- The Telangana government has been signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Goa government to help the latter in information technology (IT) development.
- Through this MoU, Telangana will help the Goa government in formulating relevant policies.
9. Former Italian PM Carlo Azeglio Ciampi passes away:
- Former Italian president, prime minister and central bank governor Carlo Azeglio Ciampi (95-year) has passed away.
- As treasury minister,he is credited with leading Italy into the euro currency.
- He also selected the design of the Italian 1-euro coin.
10. US playwright Edward Albee passed away:
- US playwright Edward Albee (88-year) has passed away at his home on Long Island near New York,USA.
- Three-time Pulitzer Prize winner Albee was the author of “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?“.
- He was considered America’s greatest living playwright after the deaths of Arthur Miller and August Wilson in 2005.
11. India finishes 2nd in Track Asia Cup:
- India has ended their campaign in the Track Asia Cup at 2nd position at the Cycling Velodrome in IG Stadium in New Delhi.
- India’s medals tally comprises 16 (5 gold, 4 Silver and 7 bronze).
- Hong Kong topped the table with 18 medals (11 Gold, 4 Silver and 3 bronze).
- Deborah (21-year) turned out to be the star performer for the country, having clinched three gold and one silver.