1. President, PM launch VP’s book titled “Citizen and Society”
- President Pranab Mukherjee and PM Narendra Modi has launched Vice President Mohd Hamid Ansari’s book titled “Citizen and Society” at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The book is a collection of lectures delivered by Hamid Ansari ranging from the role of women in a multicultural society to other dynamics of a democratic nation.
2. Andhra Bank ties up with Cigna TTK, Reliance General Insurance
- Andhra Bank has entered into corporate agency agreements with Cigna TTK Company Ltd, and Reliance General Insurance Company Ltd for providing health and general insurance respectively, to its customers.
- These partnerships will provide mutual benefit to the bank and insurance companies in tapping the potential in the market and also help in increasing the insurance coverage
3. Childhood cancer awareness exhibition to be held at Taj Mahal.
- Childhood cancer awareness exhibition will be held at the iconic Taj Mahal in Agra from 25th -27th September.
- The exhibition ‘CanKids-Kids can‘ is being organised by National Society for Change for Childhood Cancer in India.
- The exhibition will include ‘Chalo Chalein Taj programme‘ under which around 1,500 cancer-affected children and their families will visit the Taj Mahal.
4. Sahoo is bankruptcy board chief
- The Centre has appointed Madhusudan Sahoo as chairperson of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India.
- Sahoo is at present a member of the Competition Commission of India.
5. Saudi Arabia celebrates its 86th National Day
- Today,Saudi Arabia is celebrating its 86th National Day with a strategic vision to take the Kingdom to new heights of progress and prosperity under the leadership of King Salman.
- The United Arab Emirates also joins Saudi Arabia’s National Day celebrations.
- It commemorates the establishment of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by King Abdulaziz in 1351 A.H. (1932 A.D.).
6. Navtej Sarna appointed Ambassador to the US
- India's High Commissioner to UK Navtej Sarna was appointed as Ambassador to the US.
- Mr Sarna is also a prolific author of many fiction and non-fiction books, the most recent being 'Second Thoughts: On Books, Authors and the Writerly Life' that was released last year.
7. India, France ink deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets
- India and France inked the deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets in the presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and his French counterpart Jean Yves Le Drian in New Delhi.
- The aircraft will be equipped with latest missiles and weapon system.
- The 7.8 billion Euro deal is crucial for the Indian Air Force and is expected to give India the dominant status in the air.
- The features that make the Rafale a strategic weapon is its Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Meteor air-to-air missile with a range in excess of 150 kilometres.
- The delivery of this aircraft will start in 36 months and will be completed in 66 months from the date the contract is inked.
- Wipro Consumer Care & Lighting, the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) arm of Wipro Enterprises has signed a pact to acquire 100% shareholding in Zhongshan Ma Er Daily Products to boost its presence in the fast-growing toiletries and liquid detergent space in south China.
9. Ritu Rani retires from international hockey
- Former Indian women’s hockey captain Ritu Rani (24-year) has decided to retire from international hockey.
- Ritu was controversially dropped from the team for the Rio Olympics.
- Under her captaincy, the team qualified for the Olympics (after 36 years) in the 2014–15 Women’s FIH Hockey World League Semifinals.
- Ritu got married to a Patiala-based Punjabi singer, Harsh Sharma on August 18.
10. Afghanistan signs peace deal with militant group Hezb-e-Islami
- Afghanistan has signed a peace agreement with one of the country's largest militant groups Hezb-e-Islami led by Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
- This agreement paves the way for Hekmatyar to make a political comeback.
- As per the agreement, Hekmatyar will be granted amnesty for his offences and the prisoners of Hezb-e-Islami will be released by the government.
11. Two-Indians selected for wildlife awards
- Two Indian forest officials, Sanjay Dutta and Ritesh Sarothiya, have been selected for the 2016 Clark R. Bavin Wildlife Law Enforcement Awards.
- Clark R. Bavin Wildlife Law Enforcement Awards honours individuals engaging in exemplary law enforcement actions to protect wildlife.