1. India stands at 112th spot on World Economic Freedom Index:
- India’s Centre for Civil Society in collaboration with Canada’s Fraser Institute has released the Economic Freedom of the World 2016 Annual Report.
- India has slipped by 10 positions to 112th on WEF index out of 159 countries and territories.
- China, Bangladesh and Pakistan lagged behind India at 113th, 121st and 133th ranks respectively.
- The report is based on data from 2014 and measures the World Economic Freedom (WEF) Index by analysing the policies and institutions of 159 countries and territories.
2. International Day of Peace observed on 21st September:
- The International Day of Peace is observed across the world annually on 21st September.
- It is dedicated to world peace and specifically the absence of war and violence such as might be occasioned by a temporary ceasefire in a combat zone for humanitarian aid access.
- The theme of this year (2016) is “The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace”.
- Earlier, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had designated 21st September as the International Day of Peace in 1981.
3. Indira Awas Yojana Renamed After Prime Minister:
- The flagship rural housing scheme Indira Awas Yojana (IAY), started by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, has been renamed and restructured as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), which will be launched next month.
- The IAY will be subsumed by the PMAY from April 1 next year. Under the new scheme, the government is aiming to construct one crore houses by 2019.
4. BCCI appoints new selection panel with MSK Prasad as Chief Selector:
- Former India wicket keeper M.S.K. Prasad (41-year) has been appointed as the new chairman of selectors while Ajay Shirke has retained unopposed as the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary at its 87th Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Mumbai.
- Prasad will replace Sandeep Patil as Chairman of the selectors.
- Other members include Jatin Paranjpae, Devan Gandhi, Gagan Khoda and Sarandeep Singh.
- Former India seamer Venkatesh Prasad has been retained as chairman of the junior selection committee.
5. Govt. approves nine highway projects in 5 states:
- The Union Government has approved nine highway projects of 414 km at an estimated cost of Rs. 2600 crore.
- These projects are related to the states of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Nagaland and Uttar Pradesh.
- The projects were approved at standing finance committee chaired by Road Transport and Highways Secretary Sanjay Mitra.
- All the projects approved will be constructed in the engineering, procurement and construction mode.
6. Flipkart becomes 1st e-commerce in India to cross 100 million customers:
- Flipkart has crossed the 100-million registered users mark, becoming the first e-commerce company in the country to hit the milestone.
- The Bengaluru-based company has doubled its user base over the last year.
- It added 25 million users in the past six months alone.
7. New Executive Director for Syndicate Bank:
- S S Mallikarjuna Rao has taken charge as executive director (ED) of Manipal-based Syndicate Bank.
- Earlier, Mallikarjuna Rao was general manager (GM) and CFO of Oriental Bank of Commerce, looking after alternate delivery channels, marketing and publicity.
- He started his career as officer in Bank of Maharashtra in 1985.
8. Cabinet approves merging of Rail budget with Union Budget:
- Today, Union Cabinet chaired by PM Narendra Modi has approved the merger of Rail budget with Union Budget.
- Advanced presentation of the annual Budget to get all the legislative approvals for the annual spending and tax proposals before the beginning of the new financial year on 1st April.
- The actual date of Budget presentation will be decided after taking into account dates of assembly elections.
- All proposals on the railways will be included in it and there is a separate discussion on the railways each year.
9. Junaid Ahmad is World Bank Country Director for India:
- The World Bank has appointed Junaid Ahmad (Bangladesh) as its new Country Director for India.
- He will replace Onno Ruhl who served his four-year term.
- Ahmad holds a PhD in Applied Economics from Stanford University and a Masters in Public Administration from Harvard University.
10. Shubha Mudgal to get 'LalitArpan Samman':
- Hindustani classical singer Shubha Mudgal will be honoured with the annual 'LalitArpan Samman' this year.
- Mudgal, a Padma Shri recipient, was born in Allahabad and is known for her singing in genres of Khayal, Thumri and Dadra.
11. Vadodara to host Power Ministers’ conference on October 7:
- A two-day conference of Power, Renewable Energy and Mines Ministers of 29 States and Union Territories will be held at Vadodara (Gujarat) from 7th October.
- The aim is to review the implementation of various ongoing schemes and programmes and host of issues pertaining to power, coal and renewable energy sectors.
- Issues like the implementation of Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY), 24×7 Power for All and Rural Electrification Programme will discuss.
12. Oscar-winning writer and director dies at 71:
- Oscar-winning writer and film director Curtis Hanson has died at his home in Hollywood at the age of 71.
- He is known for his work in films like Kevin Spacey-starrer LA Confidential, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and The River Wild.
13. PM’s Race Course Road will now be known as Lok Kalyan Marg:
- Today, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has approved a proposal to rename the Delhi’s famous Race Course Road (RCR) on which the Prime Minister’s residence is situated to ‘Lok Kalyan Marg‘(LKM).
- Race Course Road was named after the Delhi race course, part of Delhi Race Club, established in 1940.
14. Misbah-ul-Haq becomes first Pakistani to receive Test mace from ICC:
- Misbah-ul-Haq has received the prestigious ICC Test Championship mace for inspiring Pakistan to the top of the ICC Test Team Rankings.
- This is for the first time a Pakistani cricketer has received the award.
- The current rankings system was introduced in 2003.