1. India Successfully test-fires Barak 8 Surface-to-Air Missile:
- Today, India has successfully test-fired the most advanced surface-to-air missile 'Barak-8' from a mobile launcher at the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur in Balasore district, Odisha.
- The 4.5-meter nuclear capable ballistic missile weighs around 3 tonnes and can carry a payload of 70 kilograms developed jointly with Israel.
- The missile swung into action after getting a signal from the radars to intercept a moving aerial target supported by an unmanned air vehicle ‘Banshee’ over the Bay of Bengal.
2. Indian Railways launches Yatri Mitra Sewa to help elderly, differently-abled:
- Indian Railways has launched “Yatri Mitra Sewa” in a move to make rail travel comfortable for elderly, differently-abled and ailing travellers.
- It will facilitate access to wheelchairs, battery operated cars and porter services.
- The service will be available at major railway stations across the country.
- The service can be availed at the time of online booking of tickets, calling or messaging '139' or by simply dialling a dedicated mobile phone number to be activated for the purpose.
3. Punjabi version of PM Narendra Modi's website launched:
- People can now visit the PM Modi's website in the Punjabi language at the URL www.pmindia.gov.in/pa.
- The website which was initially started in English and Hindi, is now accessible in nine regional languages - Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu and Punjabi.
3. Union govt. announces the third list of smart cities:
- Union Minister of Urban Development Venkaiah Naidu has announced the third list of smart cities.
- The new list accommodates 27 cities from 12 states.
Five cities from Maharashtra (Thane, Nashik, Nagpur, Kalyan-Dombivali and Aurangabad), four from Tamil Nadu (Madurai, Salem, Thanjavur and Vellore) and Karnataka (Hubbali-Dharwad, Managaluru, Shivamogga and Tumkaru), three from Uttar Pradesh (Varanasi, Kanpur and Agra) , two each from Punjab (Amritsar and Ludhiana), Rajasthan (Kota and Ajmer) and Madhya Pradesh (Gwalior and Ujjain) and one each from Andhra Pradesh (Tirupati), Odisha (Rourkela), Gujarat (Vadodara), Nagaland (Kohima) and Sikkim (Namchi).
- Each city will receive Central assistance of 200 crore rupees in the first year and 100 crore rupees over the three subsequent financial years.
- Over 1 lakh 44 thousand crore rupees have been proposed for 60 cities under smart city plans.
4. Cauvery Supervisory Committee directs Karnataka to release 3000 cusecs of water per day for 10 days:
- The Cauvery Supervisory Committee headed by Shashi Shekhar directed Karnataka to release 3000 cusecs of water per day to Tamil Nadu.
- As per the committee’s direction, Karnataka will have to release 3000 cusecs water per day from 21 to 30 September 2016 to Tamil Nadu.
5. Facebook appoints Anand Chandrasekaran for its Messenger app:
- Facebook has roped in former Snapdeal chief product officer(CPO), Anand Chandrasekaran, for a strategic role for its Messenger app.
- Chandrasekaran, who served as the senior director of mobile and search products at Yahoo between 2011 and 2014.
6. Two-day national labour meet kicks off in Odisha:
- Two-day national conference on labour has inaugurated by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The conference organised jointly by the Odisha Labour department and the International Labour Organisation.
- This Labour meet has been attended by Labour Ministers and Chairpersons of Labour Welfare Boards of 29 states.
- The conference will discuss how to manage the labour welfare boards and regulate child labour laws in a better and effective ways.
7. Vijaya Bank rolls out 3 new apps:
- Vijaya Bank has launched 3 innovative information technology products.
- The new IT products, according to Kishore Sansi, Managing Director and CEO of Vijaya Bank, are: VPAYQWIK, Vijaya *99# and V-eConnect+.
8. Govt notifies new import policy for Marble & Travertine Blocks:
- The government has notified the new import policy for marble & travertine blocks Slabs.
- The policy will come into effect from 1st October.
- The Minimum Import Price (MIP) for marble blocks has been reduced to 200 US dollar per ton.
- The basic customs duty on import of marble and travertine blocks has been increased form 10% to 40% to address the interest of domestic producers.
9. ADB approves $631 million loan for Vizag-Chennai industrial corridor:
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $ 631 million loan to develop the proposed Vishakhapatnam- Chennai industrial corridor, the first such along a coastline in India.
- Part of the larger East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC) that will extend 2,500 km from Kolkata in West Bengal and Tuticorin in Tamil Nadu, the government expects the project to bring manufacturing and export industries to India's east coast.
10. Monika Kapil Mohta appointed Ambassador to Sweden:
- Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs Ms Monika Kapil Mohta has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Sweden.
- Ambassador is an accredited diplomat sent by a state as its permanent representative in a foreign country.
11. BSE ties up with Twitter to provide live stock updates:
- Investors can now track BSE updates real-time on Twitter by following the official Bombay Stock Exchange account.
- The investors can now get live updates of BSE Sensex levels, stock prices and opening and closing figures of Sensex companies.
12. Priyesha Deshmukh wins bronze medal in World Deaf Shooting Championships:
- India’s Priyesha Deshmukh (23) has won a historic bronze medal in the first World Deaf Shooting Championships held in Kazan, Russia.
- She claimed the third position with total score of 180.4 in the 10 metres air rifle category and it was her maiden international participation.
13. Jubilant FoodWorks CEO Ajay Kaul resigns:
- Ajay Kaul has resigned as the Chief Executive Officer of Jubilant FoodWorks Limited.
- However, Kaul will continue in his current role till March 2017.