1. Rio paralympic games end in Brazil:
- The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games 2016 (15th) have ended in Rio with a colourful closing ceremony at Maracana Stadium in Brazilian City, Rio de Janeiro.
- Brazilian officials handed over the flag to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- China dominated the Rio Paralympics games with 239 medals, followed by Britain, Ukraine and the United States.
- India capped off a successful Paralympic Games campaign in Rio by procuring their best ever haul of four medals (two gold, one silver and a bronze medal).
2. United Russia party wins parliamentary election:
- President Vladimir Putin’s ruling United Russia Party has won the parliamentary election with more than 54% of the votes.
- According to the Central Election Commission Communist Party and Liberal Democratic Party with about 14 % each are in second and third place.
- Yesterday,Elections to the State Duma were held in a split system, 225 members of parliament were elected by party tickets, while the other 225 were elected in one-seat constituencies.
- More than 111 million people were eligible to vote in the election.
- In the last election for the Duma in 2011, United Russia party won 49% of the vote.
3. Angela Merkel’s party CDU losses in Berlin state elections:
- Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel’s party CDU (Christian Democratic Union of Germany) has lossed in Berlin state elections.
- It has been ousted from the state governing coalition with the centre-left Social Democrats.
- The anti-migrant party “Alternative for Germany” made gains and will enter the state parliament for the first time.
4. World's largest ship lift begins trial run in China:
- The trial operation of a world's largest permanent ship lift designed by Chinese and German engineers on China's Three Gorges Dam began.
- The ship lift, is the largest and most sophisticated in the world, according to Three Gorges Corp, a state-owned company responsible for the construction of the project.
5. China, Russia conduct joint naval exercises Joint Sea-2016 in South China Sea:
- The Chinese and Russian navies on 19 September 2016 concluded Joint Sea-2016, eight days of naval exercises, in the South China Sea.
- The Joint Sea-2016 was launched as a sign of growing cooperation between their armed forces against the backdrop of regional territorial disputes.
- The exercises follow a spike in tensions after Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague rejected China’s claims in the SCS and slammed it for causing environmental damage there.
6. Alka Sirohi appointed as new UPSC chairman:
- The President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Retd. IAS – officer of MP Cadre Smt. Alka Sirohi (UPSC-Member) as the chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- She will replace Deepak Gupta (65-year) who demits office on 20th September 2016.
- Sirohi will be in office till the completion of her term as a member on January 3, 2017 (or till further orders).
7. ‘Selfie with toilet’ to boost Swachh Bharat in Ludhiana:
- To make the Swachh Bharat Mission successful and encourage people to use clean toilets, the Ludhiana district administration has started a ‘Selfie with my Shauchalya’ campaign.
- Under the initiative, beneficiaries of toilets provided by the Punjab government and Bharti Foundation had been urged to click a selfie with their toilets.
8. HRD Minister inaugurates Super Computer PARAM-ISHAN at IIT Guwahati:
- Today, Union Human Resource Development minister Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the super computer PARAM ISHAN at IIT Guwahati campus.
- PARAM ISHAN is the fastest and most powerful computer in North East, Eastern and Southern region.
- PARAM ISHAN has been jointly developed by IIT Guwahati and Centre for Development of Advanced Computing(C -DAC).
9. Malaysian envoy releases translated book on Sai Baba:
- The Consul General of Malaysia in India Eldeen Husaini Muhammad Hashim has released the translated version of 'Sai Charitra Granth', a book on the life of Sai Baba.
- The book is translated into Malay by a social outfit called 'I love Sai'.
10. First Indian music & dance festival starts in Sydney:
- Union Tourism and Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma has inaugurated the 10-week first Indian music and dance festival in Sydney,Australia.
- The festival, an initiative of Indian government supported by the Australian side, will run across seven cities including Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide.
11. Federal Bank launches Federal Skill Academy at Coimbatore:
- Federal Bank has launched its second Federal Skill Academy at Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu as part of its CSR initiatives.
- The first one being inaugurated last year at Ernakulam.
12. Malayalam critic M Leelavathi bags Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award:
- Noted Malayalam critic Dr. M Leelavathi has been chosen for the prestigious N Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award 2016.
- She has been selcted for her contributions to Malayalam language and literature.
- The award was instituted in memory of well-known short story writer N Mohanan.
- The honour comprises a gold medal of one sovereign.
13. Lt Gen Surinder Singh Takes Charge Of Western Command:
- Lt Gen Surinder Singh today took over as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Command.
- He is the successor of Lt Gen KJ Singh who retired on July 31,2016.
- Prior to this, he was on attachment to the Deputy Chief of Army Staff’s Branch at the Army Headquarters in New Delhi after having completed his tenure as the GOC, 33 Corps at Siliguri in August.
14. Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar declares Charkhi Dadri as 22nd district:
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced Charkhi Dadri as the 22nd district of the state.
15. Subhankar Pramanick wins gold at ISSF Junior World Cup:
- Indian shooter Subhankar Pramanick has clinched the gold medal in 50-metre rifle prone event at the ISSF Junior World Cup for pistol, rifle and shotgun at Gabala in Azerbaijan.
- He shot 205.5 overall to finish top of the podium.
- Czech Republic’s Filip Nepejchal (205.2) followed in second position, while Romania’s Dragomir Iordache (185.1) was placed third.
- A total of 279 junior athletes, representing 27 countries are battling it out in 18 events.
16. Davis Cup: Spain beat India 5-0:
- Hosts India were routed by Spain 0-5 in the Davis Cup World Group Play-off tie.
- In the last match, Ram kumar Ramanathan (India) lost to David Ferrer in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.
- Earlier, in the first rubber match Marc Lopez defeated Sumit Nagal 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 giving Spain 4-0 lead.
- Earlier, Saketh and Ramkumar had lost their opening Singles matches.
17. Sourabh Varma loses Belgian International badminton final:
- Indian shuttler Sourabh Varma (Unseeded ) has lost to Lucas Corvee of France in straight sets 19-21 19-21 in the summit clash of the Belgian International badminton tournament in Leuven.
- Earlier, Sourabh had beaten qualifier Fabian Roth of Germany in the semifinals.
- In the men’s doubles, the Indian duo of M R Arjun and Ramchandran Shlok had lost in the semifinals.