1. China launches first mobile telecom satellite:
- Today, China has successfully launched the first satellite for mobile telecommunication.
- The Tiantong-01 satellite was launched at southwestern China’s Xichang Satellite Launch Center with the Long March-3B carrier rocket.
- It was designed by China Academy of Space Technology and its ground service will be operated by China Telecom.
- It will establish a mobile network with ground facilities, providing services for China, the Middle East, Africa and other areas.
2. Olympics 2016 opens with a glittering ceremony in Rio De Janeiro:
- Summer Olympic Games (31th) opened in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro with the vibrant opening ceremony at the Maracana Stadium,Brazil.
- Acting Brazil President Michel Temer has declared the Games open as fireworks lit up the night sky signalling the launch of the biggest sporting spectacle.
- With the theme of world peace and environment, the programme retraced the history of Brazil.
- Almost 1,500 artists performed in a colorful musical show which gave a glimpse of Brazil.
- India, which has fielded its biggest ever contingent, was led by flag-bearer and Olympic Gold medalist Abhinav Bindra.
3. Government fixes an inflation target of 4 percent for five years:
- The government has set an inflation target of 4% for the next five years.
- Monetary Policy Committee to be set-up soon it will have to adhere to the target till March 31, 2021.
- Last year ,the government and RBI had reached an agreement on a monetary policy framework that had set the inflation target at 4% plus or minus 2%.
- Earlier, The government has notified rules for setting up the Monetary Policy Committee giving affect to amendments in the RBI Act.
4. 1-7 August, World Breastfeeding Week:
- The 2016 World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is being observed across the world. The week is held every year from 1 to 7 August.
- The theme for the 2016 World Breastfeeding Week is Breastfeeding: A key to Sustainable Development. The theme aims at raising awareness of the links between breastfeeding and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The week is organized by World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA), World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNICEF.
- World Breastfeeding Week was first celebrated in 1992 by WABA.
5. Mumbai to have 1200 Wi-Fi hotspots by May 2017:
- Maharashtra government will provide as many as 1,200 wi-fi hotspots in the megapolis as a part of transforming Mumbai into a Smart City.
- 500 wi-fi hotspots will be operational in the first phase by November 2016.
- This was another important step after the CCTV project towards making Mumbai a Smart City.
- Maharashtra had signed an MoU with HP for creating IT infrastructure in three Smart Cities and was going to invest 1,800 crore rupees for this.
6. EZCC organizes 64-day-long theatre festival in Kolkata:
- Autonomous organization under Government of India’s Ministry of Culture The Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre (EZCC) has organized a 64-day-long theatre festival in Kolkata.
- Kolkata Theatre Festival 2016 will showcase as many as 245 theatres of several groups at Bharatiyam Cultural Multiplex in Kolkata’s satellite town Salt Lake.
- The theatre festival will continue till the 2nd of October.
- This is the biggest theatre festival, not even in Kolkata in the World.
7. IOA announces cash awards for medal-winning Indian athletes:
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has announced a cash award of 50 lakh rupees for the gold medal winning athlete, 30 lakh rupees for silver and 20 lakh rupees for bronze in the Rio Olympics 2016.
- The coaches will be awarded an equivalent of 50% of the amount that the athletes receive.
- Indian Railways has also announced a cash award of one crore rupees for its athlete who wins a gold medal, silver medallist will get 75 lakh rupees and bronze medal winner 50 lakh rupees at the Rio Olympics.
- Athletes who manage a top-8 finish, the reward will be 30 lakh rupees and for mere participation 5 lakh rupees.
8. FM Arun Jaitley inaugurated India’s International Footwear Fair:
- Three-day long India’s International Footwear Fair (IIFF) has been launched by the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.
- This year the organisers expect the business of around Rs. 2,000 crores to be generated.
- Around 263 companies from India and abroad are participating in the event.
- Last year the quantum of business generated from the fair was Rs 1,200 crore.
- International Footwear Fair was launched in 2015 and this will be the second edition of the event.
9. Union govt. launches nation-wide breastfeeding programme:
- Union Health Minister J P Nadda has launched a nation-wide breast feeding programme Mothers’ Absolute Affection (MAA).
- The goal of the programme is to enhance optimal breastfeeding practices.
- The programme is a very cost-effective and significant health intervention along with de worming programme.
- Mothers’ Absolute Affection is an intensified programme for creating an enabling environment to ensure that mothers, husband and families receive adequate information and support for promotion of breastfeeding.
- The Ministry has allocated 30 crore rupees for the Programme and 4.3 lakh rupees for each district for implementing the various activities under MAA programme.