1. Sakshi Malik becomes first female Indian wrestler to win Olympic medal:
- Freestyle wrestler Sakshi Malik (23-year) bagged the Bronze medal in the 58 kg weight class after recording a sensational comeback win over Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan.
- Sakshi became the first ever Indian woman grappler to win an Olympic medal.
- Malik had previously won silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and bronze medal at the 2015 Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha.
- Sakshi Malik was born on 3 September 1992 in Mokhra village in Rohtak district in Haryana to Sukhbir, an employee with Delhi Transport Corporation and Sudesh Malik, a government servant.
- She began training in wrestling at the age of 12 under a coach, Ishwar Dahiya at an akhara in Chhotu Ram Stadium, Rohtak.
2. Airlander 10: World’s largest aircraft embarks maiden flight:
- The world’s largest aircraft Airlander 10 has embarked on its maiden flight at an airfield in Cardington in central England.
- It is a hybrid airship made by Hybrid Air Vehicles in United Kingdom.
- It is 92-metre-long and 43.5m wide can fly at up to 4,880 metres and reach speeds of 148 km per hour. It can also be used for commercial purpose.
- Airlander 10 is a partly plane and partly airship filled with helium gas.
3. Assam Assembly passes Assam Amusements and Betting Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2016:
- The Assam Assembly on 13 August 2016 passed the Assam Amusements and Betting Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- This bill will reduce the service charge of cinema tickets with an aim to boost to the local film industry. The government, however, raised the entertainment tax on cinema tickets by up to ten percentile points.
- The government proposed to make service charge 8 rupees per ticket for the halls without air conditioning system and 12 rupees for the halls with air conditioning system with back-up generator.
4. UP govt. announces Rani Laxmi Bai award for Sakshi Malik:
- The Uttar Pradesh government has announced to honour Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik (bronze at the Rio Olympic) with the prestigious Rani Laxmi Bai Award.
- The Rani Laxmi Bai award carries a cash prize of Rs 3.11 lakh, a citation and a statue of Rani Laxmi Bai.
5. Railway joines hands with the forest departments of Punjab and Haryana:
- Indian Railway has joined hands with the forest departments of Punjab and Haryana to plant five lakh trees on rail land along tracks.
- The plantation along the tracks will help in protecting railway land from encroachment.
- The plantation drive will be carried out by the forest departments without declaring such land as protected forest areas with the provision for resumption of such land for developmental projects.
6. Union Power Ministry launches e-Trans & DEEP e-bidding portals for electronic bidding and e-reverse auction:
- The Union Power Ministry has launched ‘e-Trans’ & ‘DEEP’ e-bidding web portals for electronic bidding and e-reverse auction of tariff-based electricity transmission projects.
- They were launched by Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines Piyush Goyal in New Delhi.
- e-Trans: It is a web platform for e-bidding and e-reverse auction for Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB) in transmission projects.
- DEEP (Discovery of Efficient Electricity Price) e-Bidding portal: It will provide a common e-bidding platform with e-reverse auction facility to facilitate nation-wide power procurement through a wider network in order to bring uniformity and transparency in the process of power procurement.
- The minister also launched ‘TARANG’ (Transmission App for Real Time Monitoring and Growth) Mobi.
7. Former FIFA President Joao Havelange passes away:
- Former president of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Joao Havelange (100-year) passed away in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- He had served as president of FIFA for two decades and had played pivotal role in transforming football’s governing body into a multibillion-dollar business.
8. Govt allows Online Authentication using Aadhaar for new mobile connections:
- Union government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections.
- The guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-know your customer(e-KYC) has been issued to make the online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers.
- The e-KYC seeks to make the online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers.
9. Purav Raja and Divij Sharan win Los Cabos Open Men’s Doubles title:
- India’s tennis doubles pair of Purav Raja and Divij Sharan has clinched the Abierto Mexicano Los Cabos title in Mexico.
- The duo defeated Israel’s Jonathan Erlich and England’s Ken Skupski by a score of 7-6(4), 7-6(3).
- They earn 250 Emirates ATP Doubles Rankings points and split 38940 US dollar in prize money.