1. Vijay Rupani takes oath as Gujarat Chief Minister:
- 60 year old BJP leader Vijay Rupani has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat at the Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar today.
- He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by the Governor OP Kohli.
- While Nitin Patel has sworn in as the Deputy CM of the state.
2. Union Government aims to roll out GST from April 1, 2017:
- The Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced that the Government has set the ambitious target to roll out of the Goods and Services Tax, (GST) from 1st April 2017.
- Mr. Jaitley also unveiled a detailed roadmap for GST implementation.
- This announcement was made after Rajya Sabha had passed The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014.
3. Modi Launches PMO App At MyGov Anniversary Event:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the new PMO app at a function organised by MyGov in New Delhi. The app would correspond to the website of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
- The app is developed by a team of young engineering students from Delhi who has won the contest to develop the app.
- The new app will allow mobile users to connect with the website of the Prime Minister's Office.
4. South India's first Doppler weather radar inaugurated:
- ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar has inaugurated a 'C Band Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar' at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram.
- It is first of its kind in South India. While Prime Minister Narendra Modi had inaugurated the first Doppler weather radar in Cherrapunji which was built by the ISRO and Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) in May. The work was on for two more Doppler radars to be set up in Bhuj in Gujarat and Gopalpur.
- This Doppler weather radar can provide advance information about storms, cyclones, and other severe weather conditions. The data from this radar would be available to India Meteorological Department (IMD) to supplement its weather predictions and also to researchers and user agencies.
5. 2nd National Handloom day has celebrated today:
- The second National Handloom Day has been celebrated all over the country, on today (August 7). As the first National Handloom Day was celebrated last year and Hon’ble Prime Minister was the Chief Guest in the main event held in Chennai on 7th August, 2015.
- But this time, the main function was held in Varanasi in which Sant Kabir Awards and National Handloom Awards has been presented by the Union Textiles Minister Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani who was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
- Besides the main event in Varanasi, there was many other programmes across the nation.
6. Naidu launches Swachh Survekshan for 500 cities:
- Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu has launched Swachh Survekshan-2017 for 500 cities in the country with an idea to make competitive environment make the cities clean in New Delhi.
- The main objective of Swach Survekshan is not to point out shortcomings but to suggest ways to improve the state of cleanliness in the particular area.
- This is the second round of survey to cover 500 cities and towns, including those with a population of one lakh and above, besides capital towns with less than one lakh population and towns known for heritage, tourism, and hilly locations.
7. Telangana signs MoU with ISRO for water resources info system:
- Telangana Irrigation Department has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Indian Space Research Organisation for setting up a Telangana Water Resources Information System (TWRIS) on the ‘Bhuvan’ web portal.
- The MoU was inked in the presence of Irrigation Minister T Harish Rao and ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar at the Hyderabad-headquartered National Remote Sensing Centre of ISRO.
- The main aim is to capture every field-level irrigation network including dams/barrages, anicuts, main and field channels, etc. and mark every irrigation structure on satellite visualisation tool Bhuvan (similar to Google Earth). The project, likely to be completed in one year.
8. IBM and Apple open first global development hub in India:
- IBM in partnership with Apple has launched a new global development hub at Manyata Tech Park, Bengaluru.
- The hub mainly aims to help the clients in India complete digital mobility process platform.
- IBM is also planning to launch satellite centres in many other countries including China, Romania, and Brazil.
9. Taxis in Dubai to promote Kerala Tourism:
- Kerala Tourism has rolled out a promotional campaign in Dubai targeting Arab travellers and showcasing the state's backwaters and waterfalls on taxis plying in the bustling metropolis, with the onset of the outbound tourism season in the Middle East.
- In this regards, as many as 200 Kerala-branded taxis will ferry the message of 'A Faraway Land Four Hours Away' - with eye-catching visuals featuring hill stations, backwaters, waterfalls and also Ayurvedic therapies - through the streets of Dubai, the throbbing heart of the UAE.
- The campaign, inspired by the previous highly successful branding efforts on London taxis and the Mumbai metro, will run till August 15.
10. Kathakali dance troupe in Egypt for first time:
- A nine-member Kathakali dance troupe has performed first time in Egypt.
- The Kathakali dance troupe was a part the 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina. And as part of their tour, the Indian dance troupe will performe in different places including Port Said Cultural Palace, Ismailia Cultural Palace.
- Kathakali is a complex art belongs to Kerala, which is combination of many different forms of art. It includes dance, drama, literature, music both vocal and instrumental, and plastic form of art, such as painting and sculpture.
11. Javadekar inaugurated transit campus of IIT in Jammu:
- Union Minister for Human Resource and Development Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the transit campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at village Jagti, Tehsil Nagrota in Jammu.
- Even a total of 90 students has been enrolled at IIT Jammu for the academic session.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) had also been signed between the Department of Higher Education, Jammu and Kashmir and the Department of Higher Education in the HRD Ministry, on May 1, 2016, in this regard.
12. CSS Corp appoints Manish Tandon as its new CEO:
- CSS Corp, a global Technology Support company, has appointed Manish Tandon as its new Chief Executive Officer of the company. He will be inducted as a whole time director of the board and as CEO later this quarter.
- He will take over from "Tiger" TG Ramesh, the current CEO who now transitions to a strategic advisor role as a non-executive director on the board.
- Mr. Manish is an IIT Kanpur alumnus, and a Gold Medalist from IIM Bangalore. He is currently the head of Healthcare & Life Sciences, Insurance and High-Tech Manufacturing businesses at Infosys.
13. New head for BHEL Corporate R&D:
- KK Khurana, General Manager in-charge, has taken over as Head of BHEL Corporate R&D with effect from August 4, 2016.
- Prior to the elevation as GM I/C of Corporate R&D, he was involved in Project Engineering Management (PEM), Technical service among other areas in the company.
- He has wide experience in thermal power plant projects.
14. ‘Vietnam Veedu' Sundaram passes away:
- Veteran South Indian film director and scriptwriter “Vietnam Veedu’ Sundaram has passed away in Chennai. He was 76 years old.
- Sundaram was born in Tiruchi and 'Vietnam Veedu' became part of his name after he wrote the script, first for theatre and then for the film, starring Sivaji Ganesan.
- He also acted in a few films and directed a lot of teleserials.