1. Vijay Rupani to be new Chief Minister of Gujarat while Nitin Patel his Deputy:
- BJP state President Vijay Rupani (60-year) has been named the new Chief Minister of Gujarat after a meeting of the BJP legislators at State Party headquarter “Shree Kamalam” Gandhinagar.
- Nitin Patel will be the deputy chief minister.
- Rupani was the minister for transport, water supply, labor and employment in Anandiben’s cabinet.
- He was elected an MLA for the first time in 2014, winning the Rajkot West seat vacated by Vajubhai Vala, who went on to become Karnataka Goveror.
2. Goa to implement 7th Pay Commission from Nov 1:
- Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar has stated that the 7th Pay Commission recommendations would be implemented in the state from November 1st.
- While the pending arrears from January to October 2016 would be deposited in the employee provident fund (PF) and National Pension System (NPS).
- A provision of Rs.2,553 crore has been made in the state budget towards this implementation. As the state government will have to pay Rs 272 crore per month as against Rs 213 crore per month as per the existing scale, which will be an additional burden of Rs 59 crore.
3. Nita Ambani elected as the first Indian woman member of IOC:
- Chairperson and founder of Reliance Foundation, Nita Ambani (52-year) has been elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee(IOC).
- She became the first Indian woman to join the prestigious body which governs Olympic sports in the world.
- She had been nominated for the same in June by the IOC Executive Board and was elected by IOC members in Rio de Janeiro at International Olympic Committee Session.
- Nita is the only current active individual member of the IOC from India.
- She will serve until she attains the age of 70 year.
4. First Tech Meet of Hydrocarbon Vision 2030:
- The first technology two-day meet under the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for Northeast India has begun in Guwahati and deliberate various issues regarding implementation of the document which envisages an investment of Rs 1,30,000 crore.
- The meet is a stepping stone to put the north-east region on top of Indian energy map by utilising its hydrocarbon potential in line with the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030.
- The experts from different PSUs and private sector oil firms are attending the two-day technology meet. The Technology Meet is an initiative of the sub- committee of the upstream sector led by ONGC and has members from upstream national oil companies as well as private companies.
5. Corporation Bank launches group insurance scheme for borrowers:
- Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank Jai Kumar Garg has launched “group credit life insurance scheme” of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) in Mangaluru.
- The scheme has been made available initially at all the branches of Mangaluru Zone which would later be extended to all branches.
- The Scheme is available to bank’s customers in the age group of 18 to 60 year who have taken term loans.
- It is a single premium group term insurance plan offering insurance cover to the loan availed by the customer, in the event of unfortunate death of the borrower.
6. Odisha opens 100 new multi-purpose calamity shelter units:
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has dedicated 100 multi-purpose shelter houses to the people of Odisha for use during floods and cyclones with an aim to ensure zero casualty during calamities.
- These 100 multi-purpose calamity shelter units have been inaugurated by the CM across 17 districts of the state which include Puri, Ganjam, Balasore, Bhadrak and Kenrapara, Malkangiri, Keonjhar and Cuttack, Boudh and Jajpur, besides in Bargarh, Kalahandi, Nayagarh and Subarnapur.
- Theses 100 new shelters will add to the state’s existing 526 multi-purpose shelter houses, adding people can take shelter in these places during calamities like floods and cyclones.
- The chief minister also stated that more shelter houses are already under construction and the state will have 879 multi-purpose shelter houses by end of this year.
7. RBI imposes penalty on two cooperative banks of Chhattisgarh:
- Reserve Bank of India has imposed the penalty on two cooperative banks of Chhattisgarh under the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- The Zila Sahakari Kendriya Bank Maryadit, Raipur, and Raipur Urban Mercantile Cooperative Bank Limited are the two on which RBI imposed the penalty of five lakh rupees each.
- The Zila Sahakari Kendriya Bank Maryadit was penalised for violation of the directives/guidelines of the Central Bank on 'Know Your Customer' norms. While the Raipur Urban Mercantile Cooperative Bank Ltd faced action for violation of the directives on the prohibition of grant of loans and advances to own directors or their relatives or concerns in which they are interested.
8. IBJA announces awards for Indian medal winners at Rio 2016 Olympics:
- India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA) has announced Sovereign Gold Bonds and silver to the Indian medal winners at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
- According to IBJA, Sovereign Gold Bonds of 500 gms will be awarded to the Gold Medal winners and 1 kg silver will be awarded to Silver Medal winners.
- India is scheduled to compete at the 2016 Summer Olympics from 5th to 21th August 2016.
- India Bullion and Jewellers Association Ltd. (IBJA) was established in 1919.
9. Vinod Rai steps down from IDFC Bank’s board:
- Former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India Vinod Rai has stepped down from private sector lender IDFC Bank’s board. However, he will continue to be the non-executive independent chairman of IDFC Ltd.
- The decision has been taken to avoid conflict of interest as Rai is also the chairman of Bank Board Bureau (BBB).
- The BBB will not only select board members of public sector banks but will also devise strategies for them.
- Mr. Rai was on Mumbai- headquarter IDFC Bank board since its inception in October 2015. He was appointed as the Chairman of Bank Board Bureau on 28 February 2016.
- He is also the current chairman of UN Panel of External Auditors and Honorary Advisor to the Railways as well as a member of the Railway Kaya Kalp Council. He was the 11th Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India.
10. Assamese Litterateur Mahim Bora passes away:
- Assamese litterateur Padma Shri Mahim Bora (92-year) has passed away due to old age problems.
- He had received the Sahitya Akademi award for his most popular work ‘Edhani Mahir Hanhi’ in 2001 and the Assam Valley Literary award in 1998.
11. IOC approves 271 Russian athletes to compete in Rio Games:
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has approved 271 Russian athletes to compete in the Rio Games.
- 118 Russians are still barred from competition, thus the Russians will field their smallest Olympic team since 1912.
- There will be no Russian track and field, rowing or weightlifting teams this year.
12. Rangana Herath takes maiden Test hat-trick against Australia:
- Rangana Herath claimed his maiden test hat-trick to consign Australia to their lowest total against Sri Lanka on the second test.
- A total of 11 wickets fell in the dramatic morning session and Australia were bundled for 106 runs in their first innings.
- Herath becomes only the second Sri Lankan cricketer to claim a test hat-trick after seamer Nuwan Zoysa.