1. SBI board approves merger of 5 associate banks, BMB with itself:
- State Bank of India (SBI) board has approved merger of its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) with itself to create a global-sized bank with assets worth over Rs 37 lakh crore.
- These five associate banks are State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Travancore and Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- The board has also finalised the share swap ratio for three of the listed subsidiaries and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB).
- It will make SBI one of the top 50 global financial powerhouses in the world.
- The merged entity will have 22,500 branches and 58,000 ATMs serving a customer base of over 50 crore.
- SBI has close to 16,500 branches, including 191 foreign offices across 36 countries while the five subsidiary banks have nearly 6,000 branches.
2. Doha Bank set to open branch in Kerala:
- Doha Bank QSC is formally inaugurating its 1st branch in Kerala on August 27 by the State Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- The branch is located at first floor of Lulu Mall in Edappally (Kochi) Kerala.The branch offers all banking products to corporate and retail customers.
- The Bank has its other two branches in Mumbai.
- Doha Bank is one of the largest commercial banks in the State of Qatar.
3. Sachin Tendulkar adopts drought-affected village under SAGY:
- Cricket icon and Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar has selected Donja village in Osmanabad district of Maharashtra for development under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY).
- Under SAGY,each member of parliament needs to choose one village from their constituency and develop it as a model village.
- The programme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the birth anniversary of Jayaprakash Narayan, on 11 October 2014.
4. NMCG and IOC sign MoU for industrial use of treated water:
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOC) sign MoU for industrial use of treated water.
- This MoU helps in the establishment of STP in Mathura which will provide treated water for industrial use.
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti lays foundation of Rs. 40 crore sewage treatment plants (STP) in Vrindavan, which is estimated at a cost of Rs. 40 crore and a nine kilometer pipeline from Laxmi nagar to Gokul barrage will carry the treated water to Mathura refinery.
5. Maharashtra launches India’s first Crime Criminal Tracking Network System:
- The Maharashtra Government has become first state in the country to launch comprehensive ‘Crime Criminal Tracking Network System’ (CCTNS) in Mumbai.
- It was launched through the operationalisation of 34 cyber laboratories across the state in order to combat growing cybercrimes.
- All police stations in the state will be linked with one another for sharing information about crimes in their respective jurisdictions.
- The CCTNS has been developed by Pune based Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC).
6. 7 Indian companies among top 200 carbon clean firms:
- Seven Indian companies have made it to a carbon-clean list of 200 largest companies worldwide ranked by their total clean-energy revenues.
- The list is topped by Japan's Toyota Motor.
- Indian companies are: 1. Suzlon Energy at 68 rank for its wind farms. 2. Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd at 106 for its wind electric generators and solar cells. 3. Tata Chemicals at 114 for chemicals for biodiesel, solar energy, and fuel cells. 4. Thermax Ltd is at 139. 5. Exide Indus at 153 for electric storage batteries. 6. IDFC Ltd is at 155 for its green infrastructure financing. 7. Havells India at 166 for energy meters.
7. Hindi author Sunita Jain conferred Vyas Samman award:
- Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain was awarded the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015 for her poetry collection "Kshama".
- West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi conferred the award on the scholar.
- The award instituted by the K K Birla Foundation carries a cash prize of Rs 2.50 lakh. It is given annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored by an Indian citizen.
8. IIT-Kanpur adopts five villages under Namami Gange:
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur has adopted 5 villages (Katri Ladhva Khera, Ramel Nagar, Khoyra Katree, Pratapur and Hari Hindpur) in Uttar Pradesh under the Namami Gange programme.
- Civil engineering department of IIT-Kanpur will use its expertise to restrict the flow of sewage into the River Ganga.
- IIT-Kanpur is one of the 13 educational institutes directed by the Union Government to adopt villages and turn them into role models in sanitation for others to replicate.
- Namami Gange is an ambitious integrated Ganga Conservation Mission launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May 2015.
9. Federal Bank to use Chillr app:
- Federal Bank has partnered with Chillr, a mobile banking application that connects directly to a person’s bank account and enables instant money transfers, bill payments, phone recharge and e-commerce payments in a very secure environment.
- As India’s first and only multi-bank mobile application, Chillr allows users to connect seamlessly with multiple bank accounts and manage all their banking needs on a single platform, making money transfer between bank accounts easier, faster and safer than sending a text message.
10. World’s highest & longest glass bottomed bridge to open this weekend:
- Much heralded world’s highest and longest glass bottomed bridge in China will open this weekend to visitors
- It connects two mountain cliffs in what are known as the Avatar mountains in Zhangjiajie, Hunan province.
- The 430 meters long bridge costed 3.4 million dollars to build and stands 300 meters above ground.
- It has been paved with 99 panes of three layered transparent glass.
- The 6 meters wide bridge, designed by Israeli architect Haim Dotan has already set world records for its architecture and construction.
11. Alibaba Group launches ‘million books’ donation drive:
- Online and mobile commerce major The Alibaba Group, along with Crossword and Ratna Nidhi Charitable Trust has launched ‘Mission Million Books’, a pan-India initiative inviting Indian citizens to donate textbooks and educational material for the underprivileged.
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited is a Chinese e-commerce company that provides consumer-to-consumer, business-to-consumer and business-to-business sales services via web portals.
12. Odia actor and director Gobind Tej passes away:
- Veteran filmmaker and Odia actor Gobind Tej (88-year) passed away in a private hospital at Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- He has contributed in many Odia feature films either as an actor, director or producer in his career.
- Tej had received Odisha State Film Award for best actor for “Bandhu Mohanty” in 1977.
- Gobind Tej has showcased his acting talent in films like Bandhan, Krushna Sudama, Bandhu Mohanty, Dharitri, Gouri, Mana Akasha and Schoolmaster.
13. Narsingh Yadav’s Olympic dream over as CAS hands him 4 years ban:
- Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s (74-kg) hopes of participating in the Rio Olympics have been dashed .
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has denied him permission to take part and handed him a four-year doping ban.
- He was scheduled to take on Frenchman Zelimkhan Khadjiev in qualification round.
- Earlier,CAS was hearing into the WADA’s (World Anti-Doping Agency) appeal against the clean chit given to Narsingh by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) in a dope scandal.
14. Usain Bolt wins 3rd consecutive 200m Gold:
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt retained the 200 metres Gold for the second time.
- Bolt clocked 19.78 seconds to finish at the top of the podium.
- Earlier, he had won the 100 metres Gold, is eyeing an unprecedented treble.
- He had bagged the 100 metres, 200 metres and 4×100 metres races in the last two Olympics.