1. First SAARC Youth Parliamentarians Conference begins in Islamabad:
- The First SAARC Young Parliamentarians Conference begins in Islamabad, Pakistan with the key theme of “Peace & Harmony for Development“.
- The two-day ( 16-18th August 2016) intends to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016.
- The conference was hosted by the Pakistan National Assembly and was inaugurated by National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq.
- 8 parliamentary delegates from 8 SAARC member countries are participating in the conference.
- Three-member Indian Parliamentary delegation led by Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo (BJD Lok Sabha), Alok Tiwari of Samajwadi Party in the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha MP Devisingh Patel reached Islamabad to attend the conference.
2. Four states to get new Governors:
- Banwarilal Purohit has replaced Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya as the Governor of Assam.
- V.P. Singh Badnore has been appointed as Governor of Punjab.
- Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed as Governor of Andaman and Nicobar
- Former Union Minister Najma Heptulla has been appointed Governor of Manipur.
3. A R Rahman honoured with Tamil Ratna Award:
- Noted music composer A.R. Rahman has been honoured by the America Tamil Sangam with its Tamil Ratna Award.
- The award has been presented by New York based Tamil Sangam.
- Rahman was bestowed with the honour after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber.
- He was invited at the UNGA to perform a concert to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music.
4. Jharkhand Assembly convened today to ratify GST Bill:
- Jharkhand Assembly has been convened today to ratify Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill passed by both Houses of Parliament.
- Now Jharkhand became the third state to ratify the bill.
- Last week, Assam became the first state in the country to ratify the constitution amendment bill on the GST as the assembly unanimously passed the bill.
5. Gujarat govt to implement 7th Pay Commission recommendations from 1st Jan:
- Gujarat government has approved the implementation of the recommendations of 7th Pay Commission, raising salaries of over 8.5 lakh state employees and pensioners, from 1st Jan.
- The Cabinet gave its approval to a proposal to implement the recommendations at a meeting in Gandhinagar chaired by Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
6. Haryana govt to install 3050 solar water pumps:
- Haryana Government has decided to install 3050 solar water pumps of 2 HP, 5 HP and 10 Horse Power during this financial year in the state.
- The farmers will share 10% of the body of solar pump and the remaining 90% cost would be shared by the Central and State Government as financial assistance.
- This will result in solar capacity addition of 14.64 MW.
7. Uttar Pradesh cabinet approves Metro Rail for Allahabad:
- The Uttar Pradesh government has approved a Metro Rail project for Allahabad.
- The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
- The state cabinet also approved a scheme to provide free school bags and books to students till class VIII in government schools.
8. RBI imposes penalty on four cooperative banks:
- RBIThe Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed penalties of up to Rs. 5 lakh on 4 cooperative banks for violation of norms.
- A penalty of Rs 5 lakh on The Cooperative City Bank, Guwahati, for flouting KYC norms and non-adherence to requirements relating to identification and reporting of suspicious transactions.
- A penalty of Rs 2 lakh has been imposed on Indapur Urban Co-operative Bank, in Pune district of Maharashtra for violations of norms related to KYC and anti-money laundering and credit exposure norms on loans.
- A penalty of Rs 1 lakh on Shri Dadasaheb Gajmal Co-operative Bank in Pachora of Maharashtra’s district of Jalgaon for violation of norms relating to creation of floating charge on its assets without prior permission.
- A penalty of Rs 1 lakh on The Model Cooperative Urban Bank, Hyderabad, Telangana for violation directives and guidelines on loans and advances to directors and their relatives.
9. Telangana gets highest gallantry medals in country:
- Telangana State has received the highest number of gallantry medals for police personnel in the country on the eve of Independence Day.
- It was the only State unit to secure the President’s police medal for gallantry (PPMG).
- The other units to receive the award this year were Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police(ITBP), and the Intelligence Bureau(IB).
10. Eminent Punjabi writer Gurdial Singh passes away:
- Eminent Punjabi writer and novelist Gurdial Singh (83-year) passed away after a prolonged illness.
- He contributed towards the promotion of Punjabi language, literature and culture.
- One of his prominent works was ‘Marhi da Deeva’.
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 1998, Jnanpith in 1999, Sahitya Akademi Award, Nanak Singh Novelist Award (1975) among others.
11. Malayalam screenwriter TA Razaq passes away:
- Malayalam filmmaker-scriptwriter TA Razaq (58-year) passed away in Kochi.
- He began his career working as an assistant director with the film Dhwani in 1987.
- Razaq won his first state award for the film Kanakkinavu, which was directed by Sibi Malayil in 1997.
12. Union Government launched Smart Ganga City Scheme in 10 cities:
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti and Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on 13 August 2016 launched Smart Ganga City Scheme.
The scheme was launched in 10 ten important cities through video conference. These cities are:
13. India’s first Nuclear Supplier’ Insurance Policy unveiled by INIP:
- The India Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) on 12 August 2016 unveiled India’s first Nuclear Suppliers’ Insurance Policy.
- New India Assurance Company Limited and INIP will issue the policy and administer the claims on behalf of the pool.
- The INIP has become the 27th such insurance pool in the world as countries such as France, Russia, South Africa and the U.S. have put in place such similar risk transfer mechanisms.
14. Sehwag becomes MCC's honorary life member:
- Virender Sehwag, former India batsman, has been awarded the honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club.
- The 37-year-old Sehwag played 104 Tests, 251 One Day Internationals and 19 Twenty20 Internationals during his illustrious career.
- Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly among others are already members of MCC.