1. China successfully launches world’s first quantum satellite:
- China has successfully launched the world’s first quantum satellite which boasts of establishing hack-proof communications between space and the ground .
- It is equipped with security features to prevent wiretapping and intercepts.
- The satellite nicknamed “Micius” was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre.
- Quantum communication boasts of ultra-high security as a quantum photon can neither be separated nor duplicated.
- It is hence impossible to wiretap, intercept or crack the information transmitted through it.
2. Bihar Assembly unanimously passes GST bill:
- The Bihar state assembly has unanimously passed the crucial Goods and Services Tax Bill (GST Bill).
- With this, it has become the first non-Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled state to ratify the GST, Last week, Assam became the first state to ratify the Bill.
- The GST Bill needs to be ratified by at least 15 state legislatures before the President can notify the GST Council, which will then decide the new tax rate and other issues.
3. India extends $ 1 million grant to Zimbabwe:
- India has provided One million US Dollars grant to Zimbabwe in the wake of El Nino induced drought disaster.
- External Affairs Ministry said, last week, Indian Ambassador to Zimbabwe handed over the assistance to Zimbabwe.
- Accepting the grant, Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet Dr. Misheck Sibanda thanked for the quick response by India to an international appeal made by his country.
4. PM Modi announces 20% hike in freedom fighters’ pension:
- PM Narendra Modi has announced 20% hike in pension of freedom fighters and museums would be established in different states from Red Fort on 70th Independence Day.
- Those who are receiving Rs.25,000 will now get Rs.30,000.
- The government will built museums in several states to glorify the role of un known tribal freedom fighters among future generations.
5. UBI launched USSD based *99# Mobile Application for basic banking needs:
- The Union Bank of India (UBI) launched an Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) based *99# Mobile Application for their customers for basic banking needs.
- It was launched in partnership with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments system in the country.
6. Odia becomes Official Language in Odisha from today:
- Odia language will be used as the official language in all government offices in Odisha from today onwards.
- According to the amendment of the Orissa Official Language Act 1954, all government letters, files will be carried in Odia language.
- Chief Secretary Aditya Prasad Padhi has prepared a panel to ensure mandatory use of the Odia as the State language in all Government offices across the state.
7. Singapore ranked 6th in Global Innovation Index:
- India climbed 15 spots, from 81 last year, to 66 in the Global Innovation Index (GII) and maintained the top spot in the Central and South Asia regions, according to the rankings released by Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- Switzerland, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America and Finland have been placed ahead of Singapore as the top 5 in the index, while Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands and Germany follow, including in the top 10 most innovative economies.
8. Scientist P Shanmugam bags A P J Abdul Kalam award:
- Principal Scientist of Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) P Shanmugam has bagged the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for meritorious services in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu.
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa has presented the award comprising a certificate, Rs. 5 lakh cheque and 8-gram Gold medal.
9. China begins operating bullet trains at 350 kmph speed:
- China on Monday began operating its indigenously designed bullet trains which can clock 350 kmph speed.
- The China Railway Corporation announced that Train No G8041 departed from Dalian for Shenyang, capital of northeast China’s Liaoning.
10. Tata AutoComp to acquire TitanX:
- Tata AutoComp Systems, the Tata Group-owned auto-component conglomerate, will acquire TitanX, a leading global engine cooling supplier.
- It is currently owned by EQT Opportunity and Fourier transform.
- TitanX supplies engine and powertrain cooling solutions to the commercial vehicle industry having plants across North America, South America, Europe and China with sales of approximately $200 million.
11. L&T bags contract to convert Nagpur into integrated smart city:
- Larsen & Toubro has been identified as Implementation Partner to convert Nagpur, into the country's first large-scale integrated Smart City as per a Letter of Intent that was handed over in the auspicious presence of the Hon'ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis.
- The goal of building a smart city is to improve the quality of life by using technology to improve the efficiency of services and meet residents’ needs.
12. Retail segment of NPS grows by over 100%:
- The retail segment of National Pension Scheme (NPS) has grown by over 100% over the past one year.
- The new provision to provide tax benefits up to 40% of maturity of investment has drawn a lot of retail investors to the NPS schemes.
- Assets under management of NPS has reached 1.38 trillion rupees out of which Rs. 3 thousand crore are of retail assets.
- Total subscribers number including those who had subscribed for NPS/Swavalamban are more than the number of government employees who have subscribed for NPS.
13. First Speaker of Delhi Assembly Charti Lal Goel passes away:
- Charti Lal Goel, the first speaker of the Delhi Assembly has passed away today after prolonged illness.
- Charti Lal, 89, breathed his last at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences.
14. Usain Bolt wins gold in men’s 100 meters in Rio Olympics:
- Jamaica’s speedster Usain Bolt has won gold in the 100-metre final in Rio Olympics and retained his coveted title “Fastest man alive on the planet“.
- He became the first track athlete in Olympic history to win three gold medals in one discipline, with his win in the 100 m sprint.
- Usain won the race in 9.81 seconds, followed by USA’s Justin Gatlin (9.89 seconds) and Canada’s Andre De Grasse (9.91 seconds).
- Usain Bolt has all the sprinting world record to his name including the 100m, 200m and 4×100 m.