1. Union Minister launches clean cooking fuel scheme for BPL women in West Bengal:
- Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan has launched the Pradhan Mantri UjjwalaYojana (PMUY) in West Bengal, which is a scheme to provide clean cooking fuel to the women belonging to the 'Below Poverty Line' (BPL) households across the country.
- PMUY which was launched by the Prime Minister of India on May 1, 2016 at Ballia (Uttar Pradesh) aims to provide LPG connections to 5 Crore BPL households by 2019 and is a part of larger programme of adding 10 Crore new LPG connections by 2019 to achieve full coverage of connections in Indian households.
2. IISc bags maximum number of INSA Medals for Young Scientists:
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has bagged the 5 Medals for Young Scientists award 2016.
- It was awarded by the Indian National Science Academy (INSA). The winners from IISc this year are: Prabeer Barpanda, Sai Siva Gorthi, Praveen Kumar, Anshu Pandey and Chandan Saha.
- The INSA annually presents the Young Scientist Award to distinguish young scientists who have made notable research contributions in science and technology.
3. Smart Ganga City programme launched in 10 cities:
- Union Ministers M Venkaiah Naidu and Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti has jointly launched 'Smart Ganga City' programme in 10 cities located along Ganga to set up Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) and improve drainage network there on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
- Union Urban Development Minister Naidu and Water Resources Minister Bharti launched the works through video conferencing and were joined in by District Magistrates/Mayors of cities/towns.
- Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mathura, Varanasi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Patna, Sahibganj and Barrackpore are the cities/town where the programme will be implemented in the first phase. iv. These cities has been chosen by the National Mission for Clean Ganga where the programme will be established in the first phase for infrastructure development for sewage treatment on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
4. Microsoft acquires gaming startup Beam:
- Microsoft has acquired Beam, an interactive livestreaming startup that lets viewers watch and play along with game streamers in real time and did not disclose financial terms of the deal. Beam, launched in January this year, has 24 employees.
- The move will support Microsoft's growth strategy around Xbox Live, one of the world's most popular social gaming platform.
5. UBI launches USSD based mobile app for basic banking needs with NPCI:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) ties up with Union Bank of India to launch an USSD based *99# mobile application for their customers.
- This application can be downloaded in an android smartphone from the Google Play Store by the bank customers and can be used even without any internet connection as it does not require any data.
6. IRDAI Slaps Rs 35 Lakh Fine On Bharti AXA General Insurance:
- Insurance watchdog, IRDAI has imposed Rs 35 lakh fine on Bharti AXA General Insurance Co Ltd for violation of various norms including outsourcing activities and corporate governance guidelines.
- The fine is based on violation related with an inspection finding during December 2012 to March 2013.
7. Indian ace wins Australian Open squash:
- India squash queen Dipika Pallikal won the Australian Open squash title by beating Mayar Hany of Egypt by 0-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4.
- Notably, this is first Professional Squash Association (PSA) title since February 2015. Pallikal stands on 10th in ranking table and this is Dipika’s 11th PSA title.