1. 6,900 km gas pipelines to connect Bangladesh, Myanmar, India:
- The government has ambitious plan to lay 6,900 km of gas pipelines linking Bangladesh, Myanmar, most north-eastern states, and West Bengal.
- As part of Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for North-eastern region, 6,900 km pipelines would be laid connecting Sitwe (Myanmar), Chittagong (Bangladesh), most north-eastern states, Siliguri and Durgapur.
2. Railway Budget set to be merged with Union Budget from next fiscal:
- Ending a 92-year-old tradition which started during the colonial era, Railway Budget will be merged with the General Budget from 2017-18 onwards.
- The move is considered to be a relief to the national transporter, which was suffering from an additional burden of about Rs 40,000 crore on account the Seventh Pay Commission and close to Rs 35,000 crore on subsidy burden.
- According to a report, the finance ministry has given a go-ahead signal to the proposal by the Railways ministry and has set up a five-member committee in this regard.
3. Manjula Chellur named new Chief Justice of the Bombay high court:
- Justice Manjula Chellur has been named the new Chief Justice of the Bombay high court.
- Justice Manjula Chellur was the first female Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
- With this appointment, she becomes second female Chief Justice of the Bombay high court.
- Justice Sujata Manohar became the first woman Chief Justice of the Bombay high court in 1994.
4. Rajasthan signs MoU with India Trade and Exhibition Centre:
- Rajasthan government led by Vasundhara Raje has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India Trade And Exhibition Centre (ITEC), Dubai for the promotion of skill development, investment and tourism sectors.
- As per the agreement, ITEC would work as a service providing agency for promotion of skill development, investment and tourism sectors in Rajasthan.
5. Times Internet & HDFC Bank join hands to launch co-branded Debit Card:
- Times Internet join hands with HDFC Bank to launch co-branded card.
- The co-branded card will called the Times Points Debit Card.
- The card marries the concept of Times Points, an online loyalty product with over 18 million users, and Times Card, a co-branded credit card currently used by 3.5 lakh customers that was launched in 2013 by Times Internet in association with HDFC Bank.
6. Manipal Technologies acquires CrossFraud detection solution from Bengaluru company:
- Manipal Technologies Ltd (MTL), which is a secure print solutions organization has announced that it has acquired CrossFraud - an advanced fraud detection and anti-money laundering solution from Bengaluru-based Saraansh Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd for an undisclosed amount.
- The acquisition comes with four international patents in risk and fraud detection area which is already implemented in two banks in Thailand and six banks in India.
7. South Indian Bank, SBI Card to launch co-branded credit card:
- South Indian Bank and SBI Card, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
- With this partnership both South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
8. Nawazuddin won best actor award at IFF Melbourne :
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui won the best actor award at Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2016.
- He won the award for his role of psycho serial killer in “Raman Raghav 2.0″.
- On other side, Sonam Kapoor won the best actress award for her performance in Neerja Bhanot’s biopic, "Neerja".
- Rishi Kapoor was honoured with the lifetime achievement award for excellence in cinema.
- The theme for this edition is ‘Women Empowerment’. “Angry India Goddesses,”.
9. Former Chief Secretary Sudhanshu Mishra passes away:
- Former Odisha chief secretary Sudhanshu Bhushan Mishra has passed away in Bhubaneswar. He was suffering from cancer. Mishra was 76 years old and a 1965 batch IAS officer.
- Mishra was the Chief Secretary of Odisha during the tenure of former Chief Minister JB Patnaik from 1995-1999.
- The former IAS officer was also a member of the Indian Red Cross Society-Odisha State Branch Working Committee. He was also actively involved in various social organisations and was an independent director of the Nalco.
10. Lionel Messi announces to continue to play for Argentina:
- Lionel Messi has announced that he will play on for Argentina, reversing his decision in June to retire from international soccer.
- The Barcelona forward Messi had announced not to play for Argentina again after the team lost to Chile in the final of the Copa America in the United States.
- A few hours later the announcement, Messi was named in new coach Edgardo Bauza's squad to face Uruguay and Venezuela in 2018 World Cup, South American qualifiers to be held in the first week of September.