1. Nagaland government to grant 33% reservation to women in Urban Local Bodies:
- Nagaland Government decided to grant 33 percent reservation to women in Urban Local Bodies (ULBs). The decision was taken during a cabinet meeting held in Kohima.
- The decision was announced by the Chief Minister TR Zeliang during the State Level Watershed Conference held in Kohima.
- Zeliang said the Joint Action Committee on Women Reservation of the Naga Mothers' Association was fighting in the Supreme Court for 33 percent women reservation, which has also led to withholding of the elections to the ULBs.
2. Nadda inaugurates AMRIT outlet at Safdarjung hospital:
- Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda has inaugurated an AMRIT pharmacy at the city-based Safdarjung hospital, saying similar facilities will be across the country.
- The new AMRIT (Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment) Pharmacy, the 10th such in the country, will sell drugs at highly discounted rates.
- According to the ministry, the outlets have a very comprehensive list of medicines that are available across range of products.
- The project has been floated in a tie-up with government-owned HLL Lifecare Ltd, which is mandated to establish and run the AMRIT chain of pharmacies across the country.
3. Sri Lanka and China sign tripartite agreement to construct Financial City Center in Colombo:
- Sri Lanka and China have finally signed a tripartite agreement to proceed with the construction of a Financial City Center in capital Colombo.
- However, Sri Lanka's Urban Development Authority, the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development and the China Harbor Engineering Company Ltd signed the agreement for the development of Colombo International Financial City (CIFC) formerly known as the Colombo Port City.
4. Russia's Vladimir Putin dismisses Sergei Ivanov:
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has unexpectedly dismissed his close ally and powerful Chief of Staff Sergei Ivanov, in the highest level change inside the Kremlin in several years.
- Ivanov, who served with Putin in the Soviet-era KGB spy agency, was replaced by his deputy Anton Vaino. Vaino, a 44-year old ex-diplomat, has served as his deputy since 2012.
5. BARC and SCTIMST sign MoU for joint development of Deep Brain Stimulator:
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram (an institute of national importance under DST) have agreed to join hands to develop Deep Brain Stimulator (DBS).
- DBS involves implanting electrodes within certain areas of brain and the regular electrical pulses generated by a pacemaker-like device placed under the skin in upper chest regulates the abnormal impulses of the brain.
- DBS is used in typical neurological conditions of Essential tremor, Parkinson's disease and Dystonia.
6. SBI, Korea Development Bank join hands for biz opportunities:
- The Country's largest public sector lender State bank of India and Korea Development Bank have signed a memorandum of understanding to enhance business synergies.
- The agreement outlines the plan to enhance cooperation in areas including corporate finance, project finance and asset finance.
- The agreement was signed between SBI chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya, and chairman and CEO of Korea Development Bank (KDB), Lee Dong-Geol.
- In this regards, both the banks will also set up a korea desk in India to enable a smooth cooperation and draw the full benefit from the MoU.
7. China’s Ma Long becomes fifth male Grand Slam winner at Rio Olympics:
- China’s table tennis champion Ma Long on 11 August 2016 defeated China’s Zhang Jike by 4-0 to grab the gold medal in Table Tennis at Rio Olympics.
- With the win, Long became the fifth male player to complete the Grand Slam, and the second male player ever to be the defending champion of all three majors at the same time. Jike was the first player to do so.
- Jike clinched the silver medal.