1. Bill Gates tops Forbes richest tech tycoons list:
- With an estimated fortune of USD 78 billion Microsoft founder Bill Gates has topped the ‘100 Richest Tech Billionaires In The World 2016′.
- Only two Indian’s Wipro Chairman Azim Premji and HCL co-founder Shiv Nadar has been featured in the Forbes riches list.
- With a networth of USD 16 billion Azim Premji ranks 13th on the list, Nadar comes in on the 17th spot with USD 11.6 billion of net worth.
2. CBDT constitutes committee to review media policy:
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has constituted a new committee to "review" the existing media policy for communicating the activities of the board and the income tax department to the public.
- The 9 member committee will be headed by Mr. Gopal Mukherjee.
3. Arun Jaitley inaugurates data bank portal of MSMEs:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today launched a data bank Portal of micro, small and medium enterprises, MSME in New Delhi.
- The portal aims to gather information about micro, small and medium enterprises.
- Micro, Small and Medium enterprises Minister Kalraj Mishra said, a census of MSMEs online will be carried out for the first time through the data bank.
4. Madhya Pradesh, Puducherry join UDAY scheme:
- Madhya Pradesh and the Union Territory (UT) of Puducherry have signed the memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Power to join the Ujwal Discom Assurance scheme that will save the state Rs 17,515 crore and for the UT it is expected to be around Rs.72 crore.
- With these two MoUs being signed, the total number of states and union territories who are a part of UDAY has risen to 16.
5. NPA of commercial banks increased by around 4%:
- The Non-Performing Assets (NPA) of commercial banks has increased by around 4% in the last one year”, minister of State for Finance, Santosh Gangwar announce in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
- In March 2015, the NPA of banks was 5.43% which was risen to 9.32 percent in March this year.
- The NPA amounts are related to 417 stalled infrastructure projects where public sector banks have invested over Rs 66478 crore.
6. Extension of maternity leaves increases from 12 weeks to 26 weeks:
- The government has approved the amendments made to the Maternity Benefits Act which aims to raise maternity leave for women from 12 weeks to 26 weeks.
- The cabinet committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its approval for amendments to the Maternity Benefit Act, 1961 by introducing the Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill 2016.
- The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961, protects the employment of women during the time of maternity and entitles them of a full paid absence from work to take care for the child.
7. IRCTC signs MoU with DRDO to get ready-to-eat food straight out of packet:
- The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has signed a MoU with Defence Food Research Laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for Transfer of Technology of Retort Pouch Processed Foods so that ready-to-eat food can be warmed and eaten straight out of the packet.
- DRDO also grants a non-exclusive license to utilize the Technology by IRCTC for manufacture in India for a period of 10 years.
8. Intel buys AI startup Nervana Systems run by Indian-origin entrepreneur:
- Tech giant Intel has acquired California-based deep learning startup Nervana Systems, run by an Indian-origin entrepreneur, allowing the chip maker to foray into the world of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Nervana Systems is led by former Qualcomm researcher Naveen Rao, founded in 2014 and headquartered in San Diego, California.
- Nervana will help develop Intel's artificial intelligence portfolio and enhance the deep learning performance of Intel Xeon and Intel Xeon Phi processors.
9. Mumbai most expensive city in India:- TripAdvisor:
- Mumbai has been ranked the most expensive city in India and the second least expensive destination in the world to visit after Hanoi.
- The report was released by the TripAdvisor’s sixth edition of annual TripIndex Cities.
- New York has been ranked the most expensive city in the world.
- Capetown in South Africa has been ranked third globally least expensive city to visit followed by Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Bangkok (Thailand) and Moscow (Russia).
- In India, Pune in Maharashtra is the lowest cost destination followed by Jaipur, Chennai, Kolkata and Bangalore, the report revealed.
10. BHEL appoints Akhil Joshi as director:
- Power plant equipment manufacturer, Bharat Heavy Electricals limited (BHEL) has appointed Akhil Joshi as the Director (Power).
- Prior to this Joshi, 57, was the Executive director (ED) human resource at BHEL.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) owned by the Government of India, is a power plant equipment manufacturer and operates as an engineering and manufacturing company based in New Delhi, India.
11. Microsoft appoints Sriram Rajamani as MD of its India lab:
- Microsoft has announced the appointment of Sriram Rajamani as new managing director of its India lab.
- He will replace Chandu Thekkath, who was the managing director of the lab for two years.
- Prior to joining the India lab, Rajamani headed the Software Productivity Tools group within Microsoft’s Redmond research lab.
12. M S Subbulakshmi to be honoured at UN on Independence Day:
- Legendary Carnatic vocalist M. S. Subbulakshmi will be honoured at the United Nations on 15 August 2016, India’s 70th Independence Day.
- A.R. Rahman will pay homage to Subbulakshmi at the United Nations General Assembly.
- With this, Rahman will become only the second Indian artist after Subbulakshmi to perform at the UN after she was invited for a performance 50 years ago.
- Subbulakshmi was invited by the then UN Secretary General U Thant to perform at the UN headquarters in 1966.
- She was the first musician ever to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
- She passed away on 11 December 2004 at the age of 88.
13. Bill Maris, the CEO and founder of Google Ventures quits:
- Bill Maris, the chief executive, and founder of Alphabet Inc's , venture capital arm of GV, is leaving the company.
- Maris, who will leave on Friday, will be replaced by GV managing partner David Krane.
- GV, previously known as Google Ventures, was founded in 2009 and has invested in more than 300 companies from life science, healthcare, artificial intelligence, robotics, transportation, cyber security, and agriculture, and more.
14. Saina Nehwal is the brand ambassador for ITC's Savlon:
- ITC’s leading health & hygiene brand, Savlon, has announced the name of ace shuttler- Saina Nehwal as its brand ambassador.
- In its new campaign, Savlon seeks to inspire parents to let go of their fears and encourage children to push their limits and maximize their potential to succeed in life.