1. RBI unchanged key policy rate (3rd Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2016-17):
- The Reserve Bank of India today keeps policy rates unchanged in its 3rd bi-monthly monetary policy review.
- This is the last bi-monthly monetary policy review of RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan who will retire in September 2016. The Fourth bi—monthly monetary policy will be announced on October 4.
- The Reserve Bank in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review, retained growth projection for the current fiscal at 7.6 %.
Current Rates as announced today are:
Repo Rate – 6.50% (Unchanged)
Reverse Repo Rate – 6.00% (Unchanged)
CRR (Cash Reserve ratio) – 4% (Unchanged)
Bank Rate – 7.00% (Unchanged)
MSF (Marginal Standing Facility) – 7.00% (Unchanged)
SLR (Statutory Liquidity Ratio) – 21.00% (as per RBI official website)
RBI retains growth projection at 7.6%
2. Maharastra govt launches 'Quit India 2' movement to mark its 75th anniversary:
- To mark the 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement, Maharashtra Government launched Quit India 2-from Swaraaj to Suraaj initiative.
- The initiative would emphasize on freedom from illiteracy, farmer suicide, wastage of water, addiction among youth and corruption.
3. Irom Chanu Sharmila ended her 16-year-long fast today:
- Manipur’s ‘Iron Lady’ Irom Chanu Sharmila ended her 16 – year long fast today. She wants Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) to be revoked through political means in Manipur.
- After ending her long fast, she told to media that she is going to join politics and want to be Chief Minister of Manipur.
- She was on a hunger strike for 5757 days and was being force-fed through a nasal tube to keep her alive at a prison-turned-hospital in Imphal.
About Armed Forces Special Powers Act:
- In 1958, the government of India had enacted Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act to control the disturbed’ areas in the country.
- Disturbed areas mean – those areas which are affected because of differences or disputes between members of different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities.”
- According to the Home Ministry – six more states come under the ambit of this law under various conditions.
- The following states are under AFSPA –
- Assam, Nagaland, Manipur (except the Imphal municipal area), Arunachal Pradesh (only the Tirap, Changlang and Longding districts plus a 20-km belt bordering Assam), Meghalaya (confined to a 20-km belt bordering Assam) and Jammu and Kashmir.
4. HDFC board gives green signal to HDFC Life-Max merger:
- The HDFC board has approved the merger of Max Life and Max Financial Services with its insurance arm HDFC Standard Life Insurance.
- The total premium of the merged entity of HDFC Life-Max is expected to be Rs.26,000 crore.
- It will create the biggest public sector life insurer.
5. Job portal Monster sold for USD 429 million:
- Amsterdam-based human resource consulting firm Randstad Holdings has announced that it would acquire job portal Monster Worldwide for USD 429 million in cash.
- Post acquisition, Monster will keep its brand name and will operate as a separate entity.
- Randstad Holdings expects to complete the deal in the fourth quarter of this financial year.
6. International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples observed today:
- The International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is observed on August 9 each year to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- This year’s the day is devoted to the right to education.
- The theme of this year is – “Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Education.”
7. Apple buys US machine learning startup Turi:
- Apple has confirmed that it has bought US machine learning startup Turi as Silicon Valley giants focus on a future rich with artificial intelligence.
- Turi specialises in enabling developers to imbue software applications with artificial intelligence, so the apps learn to think more the way people do.
- The move will help Apple to step up its artificial intelligence efforts to compete against rival services from Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.
8. Kalikho Pul, former Arunachal CM found dead:
- Former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul found dead in his residence in Itanagar today.
- He allegedly commits suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling fan.
- He was the acting Chief Minister of the north-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh for a brief time. He belonged to Kaman Mishmi ethnic group.
9. Renowned Yoga guru TKV Desikachar passed away:
- TKV Desikachar, a famous yoga guru, died following a brief illness in Chennai today.
- He was a son of T Krishnamacharya, popularly acknowledged as the father of modern yoga.
- He founded Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in 1976, a yoga learning institution where today about 1000 students visit every month to learn yoga.
10. MSTC joins hands with Mahindra INTERTRADE:
- Mahindra Intertrade, a part of Mahindra Group has entered into a partnership with MSTC, a Government of India enterprise, to set-up country's first integrated auto recycling facility.
- The facility will have the first-of-its-kind Greenfield auto shredding and recycling capability to dispose of end of live vehicles.
- The joint venture (JV) agreement was officially signed by Sumit Issar, Managing Director, Mahindra Intertrade, and B. B. Singh, Chairman & Managing Director, MSTC under the aegis of the Minister of Steel and Mines, Chaudhary Birender Singh. vehicles.
11. Mr. K M Hanumantharayappa New Chairman of Central Silk Board assumes charge:
- K M Hanumantharayappa has assumed charge as new Chairman of Central Silk Board, Union Ministry of Textiles, for a period of three years.
- He is the 25th Chairman of the Central Silk Board.
- He is a sericulturist and a weaver and succeeds N S Bissegowda.
12. Pawan Munjal reappointed as the CMD & CEO of Hero MotoCorp:
- Hero MotoCorp has reappointed Pawan Munjal as its chairman, managing director, and chief executive for a period of five years. His current tenure comes to an end on September 30 this year.
- While the company also elevated its head of operations and supply chain Vikram Kasbekar as a director on the company's board.
- Apart from Mr. Munjal and Kasbekar, the company has also appointed Neerja Sharma as the Company Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer.
13. Ibtihaj, the first U.S. athlete, to wear hijab at an Olympics:
- Ibtihaj Muhammad became the only American ever to compete in the Olympics wearing a hijab.
- She is a fencer for Team USA, ranked eighth in the world in sabre.
- She beat Ukranian Olena Kravatska by 15-13 in her first match and beat France’s Cecilia Berder 15-12 in the round of 16.
- She is Muslim, and she wears the traditional hijab that covers up her head. This is a common religious custom.
14. Abhijeet Gupta retains Commonwealth Chess championship crown:
- Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta has added another feather to his cap by retaining the Commonwealth Chess championship crown. As the title was also won earlier by him in 2015.
- This is the 20th Commonwealth Chess championship and was held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
15. Katie Ledecky sets world record to win gold in 400m freestyle:
- American swimmer Katie Ledecky wins gold in the 400m freestyle and set a new world record at the Rio Olympics 2016.
- She took 3 minutes 56.46 seconds to beat Britain’s Jazmin Carlin who took 4 minutes 01.23 seconds to finish the race.
- She is the current world-record holder in the 400-meter, 800-meter and 1500-meter freestyle (long course).
- During her career, she has broken twelve world records.