1. Mission Bhagiratha: Safe drinking water scheme, launched in Telangana:
- With an outlay of 42000 crore rupees, Telangana government introduces a new scheme i.e. “Mission Bhagiratha”. The objective of the scheme is to provide safe drinking water to everyone.
- The scheme was launched by Prime Minister at Komatibanda Village, Gajwel in Medak District of Telangana.
- Under the scheme, 100 liters of clean drinking water per person will be provided in rural households and 150 liters per person will be provided in urban households.
- It has planned to provide water to about 25,000 rural habitations and 67 urban habitations by March 2018.
2. Over 1000 Dancing Robots Set Guinness Record In China:
- A new Guinness World Record for the most robots dancing simultaneously has been set in China where 1,007 robots shimmied in unison, nearly double the previous record.
- The attempt was organised by Qingdao-based Ever Win Company which almost doubled the previous record of 540 dancing robots which was achieved earlier this year by Chinese company UBTECH Robotics Corp.
- A few robots were disqualified because they did not dance or fell over, but the majority of the mechanical dance troupe completed the 60 second routine in perfect unison.
- Each of the 43.8 cm tall dancing machines at the Qingdao Beer Festival were controlled using just one mobile phone and they had to dance for a full minute in order to count towards the record.
3. First-ever 'Pizza ATM' opens in the US:
- The first-ever 'Pizza ATM' has been installed at a university campus of US by French- based company Paline, which developed the ATM.
- The pizza vending machine on the campus of Xavier University (XU) in Ohio can hold seventy 12-inch pizzas and dispense them fresh and hot in just three minutes. The cost of each pizza is around $10, with the ATM accepting credit and debit cards, as well as a student card.
- Customers can select what kind of pizza they want using the 24-hour machine's touchscreen. The pizza ATM, which opens for public on August 10.
4. Uttarakhand leads chart in industry, service sectors growth: Assocham:
- According to the Assocham reports, Uttarakhand state leads the chart of the states in the country in terms of growth in the industry and service sectors in the last ten years. The report covers data of ten years from 2004-05 to 2014-15.
- Uttarakhand has ranked at the first position by attaining the highest compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.5 per cent and 12.3 per cent in industry and services sectors during the period among states across India.
- Assocham National Secretary General D S Rawat said, the state contribution to Indias economy has also marginally increased from just about 0.8 per cent in 2004-2005 to 1.2 per cent in 2013-14.
5. Former RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha joins IDFC Bank board:
- IDFC Bank has appointed former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) deputy governor Anand Sinha to the bank's board.
- His appointment comes into effect from August 1.
- This comes after Vinod Rai, the former comptroller and auditor general (CAG) of India, who served as a nominee director representing IDFC Limited on the board of IDFC Bank, stepped down after serving on the board for a year.
6. Syndicate Bank launches new products:
- Arun Shrivastava, MD & CEO of Syndicate Bank has launched new products to ease customer transactions.
- The first products launched by the bank was the fund transfer based on ‘Aadhaar Number through NUUP’, using an ordinary mobile phone without internet connection.
- While the other one was ‘Fund Transfer through IMPS’ at any branch for instantaneous credit to any bank account.
7. Bernard Farrelly, Australian surfing champion passed away:
- Bernard Farrelly an Australian surfing champion passed away at the age of 71. He was known as Midget for his slight size.
- In 1964, he won the first official surfing World Championship at Sydney’s Manly Beach.
- He was inducted into the Australia Hall of Fame in 1985.
8. Odisha Government launches special assistance scheme for elderly weavers:
- The Odisha government launched a special assistance scheme- ‘Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana’ for elderly weavers to mark the National Handlooms Day (7th August).
- It has been launched by the state Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik with an aim to improve the financial condition of over 8,000 weavers, who have been working in this field for the last 20 years.
- The Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana is for all senior weavers who are above the age of 60 years. Under this scheme all weavers who are above 60 years they will get a monthly pension of 500 rupees, and those above 80 years would get 700 rupees.
9. Union Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Chhattisgarh’s first IIT:
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) - Raipur at the Government Engineering College campus.
- The IIT will have its own campus by the time its first batch of students pass out.
10. Dipa Karmakar becomes first Indian to qualify for final of artistic Gymnastics:
- Dipa Karmakar becomes the first Indian to qualify for final of artistic Gymnastics at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
- She qualifies vault apparatus with average score of 14.850 and grabbed the 8th position to enter into the finals.
- The finals of the artistic Gymnastics will be held on August 14, 2016.
- The 22-year-old from Tripura is the first ever Indian female gymnast to qualify for the Olympics after 52 years.