1. NASA ends year-long Mars simulation on Hawaii:
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has ended its year-long Mars simulation on Hawaii.
- Since 29th August 2015, Six people team lived in close quarters in a dome, without fresh air, fresh food or privacy.
- The team consisted of a French astrobiologist, a German physicist and four Americans – a pilot, an architect, a journalist and a soil scientist.
- The researchers are looking forward to getting in the ocean and eating fresh produce and other foods that were not available in the dome.
2. GST bill unanimously passed in Maharashtra Assembly:
- The Maharashtra Assembly's has unanimously passed the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Constitutional Amendment Bill.
- GST is a tax levied when a consumer buys a good or service. It is meant to be a single, comprehensive tax that will subsume all the other smaller indirect taxes on consumption like service tax, excise duty etc.
3. West Bengal passes a resolution to rename the state:
- The West Bengal Assembly has passed a resolution for renaming the state as ‘Bangla’ (Bengali) and ‘Bengal‘ (English).
- Earlier, in 2011 the state government had sent a proposal to the Centre for renaming West Bengal as “Paschim Bango“, but that never got the green signal.
4. Aug 29 is Sports Day to mark Dhyan Chand's b'day:
- National Sports Day in India is celebrated on August 29 to mark hockey legend Dhyan Chand's birthday.
- Dhyan Chand, considered as the greatest player in hockey, played a key role in India's three consecutive Olympic triumphs in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
- Notably, the government gives away awards such as Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna and Dronacharya Awards on this day.
5. Mehbooba Mufti launches Ujala Scheme in Jammu and Kashmir:
- Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Mehbooba Mufti has launched the central government’s Ujala Scheme in the state with the distribution of LED bulbs among people in Jammu.
- According to CM Mufti, it is an essential commodity and everyone has the equal right to energy.
- The scheme will be implemented in the state by Jammu and Kashmir Power Development Department (JKPDD) in collaboration with Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
6. Mukesh Mehta appointed as President of India Bullion and Jewellers Association:
- Mukesh Mehta was on 28 August 2016 appointed as the President of India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA).
- He is also a Director on the Board of IBJA.
- Mehta succeeds Mohit Kamboj, who resigned in the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of IBJA on 24 August 2016.
7. Union Government inaugurates IIT in Dharwad:
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javdekar has launched Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
- The institute has already started functioning from this academic year from a temporary structure.
- Two thousand students with Science and Maths background have been invited to the inaugural function.
- Earlier, both the houses (in 3rd August report) had passed the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill which states that Jammu, Tirupati, Palakkad, Goa, Dharward and Bhilai are set to get IITs.
8. Amazon launches dedicated online Telugu book store:
- E-commerce portal Amazon.in has announced the launch of a dedicated online Telugu book store with a wide-range of over 10,000 Telugu titles.
- Readers can get Telugu translations of English bestsellers in the store.
- Currently, Amazon caters to Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, Marathi, Malayalam, Gujarati and Bengali languages.
9. Wipro’s chief learning officer Abhijit Bhaduri quits:
- Abhijit Bhaduri, chief learning officer of Wipro has resigned. Bhaduri will start his own executive coaching company.
- Bhaduri is the man behind many of Wipro's initiatives like global 100 program.He has been with Wipro for 7 years.
10. AM Naik names SN Subrahmanyan as next Larsen & Toubro chief:
- Indian multi-national conglomerate Larsen & Toubro’s group named S N Subrahmanyan as the Managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of India’s largest infrastructure engineering company from October first.
- The appointment of Subrahmanyan had then come with the then chief executive and managing director KV Venkataramanan retiring.
11. Eminent Odisha painter, writer Dinanath Pathy passes away:
- Eminent painter, writer and art historian Dinanath Pathy (74-year) passed away due to cardiac arrest in Bhubaneswar.
- Pathy was former secretary of Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi and Bhubaneswarm and regarded as the pioneer of the art movement in Odisha.
- He was also the founder principal of the BK College of Art and Crafts in Bhubaneswar.
- He published over 60 books on classical, traditional, tribal, folk, rural and contemporary art of Odisha in Odia, English and German languages.
12. Doha Bank opens branch in Kerala:
- Qatar's based Doha Bank has opened a branch, the Kerala’s Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the branch.
- Doha Bank is one of the largest commercial banks in the State of Qatar.
13. Western Railway wins all India railway athletic championship:
- Western Railway has won the overall team championship, in the 82nd All India Railway athletic Championship (AIRAC) at Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
- Central railway stood second and Southern Railway third in the overall team category.
- In men’s category best athlete award has been given to Jasdeep Singh (Northern Railway) and best women athlete award to Dutee Chand (Northern Railway).
14. Nico Rosberg wins 2016 Belgian Grand Prix:
- German Formula One driver for Mercedes Nico Rosberg has won the Belgian Grand Prix 2016 of Formula One.
- It was his overall 10th championship title of F1 in his career and the sixth win in the 2016 season.
- Belgian Grand Prix was the thirteenth race of the 2016 season of Formula One in which total 11 teams had participated.