1. PM announces task force to prepare India for next three Olympics:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced to set up a task force to prepare action Plan for the next three Olympics Games (2020, 2024 and 2028).
- The task force will prepare a comprehensive action plan for effective participation of Indian sports persons in the coming Olympic Games.
- The 2020 Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo(Japan).
2. Nagaland becomes eighth State to pass GST bill:
- The Nagaland State Assembly has passed the Goods and Service Tax (GST) Constitution Amendment Bill, 8th State to ratify the tax reform.
- GST is a tax levied when a consumer buys a good or service. It is meant to be a single, comprehensive tax that will subsume all the other smaller indirect taxes on consumption like service tax, excise duty etc.
3. 22nd edition of Delhi Book Fair begins:
- Today, the 22nd edition of the Delhi Book Fair (9-day event) has begun at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi .
- It lays focus on the initiatives taken by the government for its Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan to inculcate better reading habits among the younger generation.
- National campaigns like Make in India, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Digital India and Startup India have found a place in the Theme Pavilion.
- The fair is being organised by Indian Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) in association with Federation of Indian Publishers(FIB).
4. New ED at Corporation Bank:
- The Central government has appointed Gopal Murli Bhagat as Executive Director of Corporation Bank for a period of three years. Prior to his elevation, Bhagat was General Manager with Bank of India.
- Corporation Bank is a public sector banking company headquartered in Mangalore, India.
5. Tokyo International Conference on African Development begins in Nairobi:
- Today, the 6th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) begins in Nairobi (Kenya).
- In the two-day,summit African heads of State and VIPs from around the world will participate.
- Japan Government, World Bank, the United Nations and the African Union will host the summit.
6. India at 77th, Pakistan at 72nd and Bangladesh at 5th: World Risk Report 2016:
- The World Risk Report 2016, published by the UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) and Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft, analyses the role that infrastructure plays in shaping a country’s disaster risk.
- India has been ranked 77th, Pakistan at 72nd, Bangladesh at 5th and topped by Island state of Vanuatu.
7. World’s first self-driving taxis launched in Singapore:
- World’s first self-driving taxi service has launched by Singapore-based nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup in Singapore.
- With this, nuTonomy has become an entity in the world first to offer self-driving taxi rides to the public.
- Earlier, The Singapore government had given its approval nuTonomy to conduct the self-driving taxi trial for the public.
8. Finance Ministry set up a committee for digitalizing incentive payments:
- The Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has set up a committee to consider incentives such as cash back schemes and tax rebates for promoting card and digital payments in a step towards discouraging cash transactions.
- The 11-member committee, headed by former Finance Secretary Ratan P Watal.
9. Japanese scientists detect rare deep-Earth tremor:
- Japanese Scientists studying earthquakes for the first time have detected a rare deep-Earth tremor, known as an S wave (secondary wave) microseism.
- National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention in Japan has announced scientists successfully detected not only P wave microseisms triggered by a severe and distant North Atlantic storm, known as a weather bomb, but also S wave microseisms.
- S waves are slow and move only through rock, not liquid.
10. P Kumaran appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Qatar:
- Shri P Kumaran Indian Foreign Service, presently Joint secretary in the Ministry, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Qatar.
- He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
11. Karnataka Bank launches UPI app KBL-SMATRz:
- Karnataka Bank MD and CEO P Jayarama Bhat has launched a mobile application KBL-SMARTz built on the unified payments interface (UPI) platform of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Unified payments interface (UPI) interface is designed to enable customers across UPI member banks to pay and collect money from their smartphones without entering any bank account information.
12. Bengaluru to host the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2017:
- IT capital of the country, Bengaluru, will host the 2017 Bharatiya Pravasi Divas.
- It is scheduled to take place on February 7, 8 and 9 of 2017.
13. BCCI submits 1st Compliance Report to Lodha Panel panel:
- The BCCI Secretary Ajay Shirke has submitted the first Compliance Report to the Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha Panel in regards to the implementation of reforms as per the apex court verdict.
- The Lodha Panel wants 11 reforms to be implemented by the 15th October.
- Earlier, BCCI has filed a Review Petition with the Supreme Court seeking recusal of Chief Justice of India TS Thakur from the case.
14. Indian Super League season 3 to begin from October 1:
- Season-3 of the Indian Super League (ISL) football would be held from October 1 to December 18, with the opening game scheduled in Guwahati.
- The Indian Super League is a men's professional football league in India.