1. Cristiano Ronaldo wins UEFA best player in Europe award:
- Real Madrid’s forward Cristiano Ronaldo (31-year) of Portugal has won UEFA Best Player in Europe (2015-16) for the second time after winning the Champions League and Euro 2016.
- He defeated Gareth Bale of Wales and Atletico Madrid’s France star Antoine Griezmann.
- Barcelona’s Lionel Messi was the winner of the award in 2014-15.
- Ronaldo scored 35 goals for Real Madrid in La Liga and 16 goals in Champions League competition in 2015.
2. G Satheesh Reddy wins the first IEI-IEEE award:
- Senior scientist of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) G. Satheesh Reddy has been awarded the first IEI-IEEE Award for Engineering Excellence-2015.
- The award is in recognition of his significant national contributions towards missiles and aerospace technologies.
- IEI-IEEE Award has been constituted by the Institution of Engineers (India) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Asia Pacific region to mark IEI’s 50th anniversary.
3. India to host the first BRICS Film Festival from Sept. 2:
- India will host the first five-day BRICS film festival which will begin from Sept. 2nd in New Delhi.
- The film festival will showcase an amalgamation of culture, films, song, dance and food of the 5-member countries including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Around 20 films (four from each of the countries) will be scheduled to be screened in the competition section.
2. BCCI signs MoU with TERI to promote renewable energy:
- Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) has signed an memorandum of understanding (MoU) with The Energy and Resources Institute (Teri) for promoting renewable energy.
- State Power Minister Shobandeb Chatterjee, who was present on the occasion, promised all support to the clean energy initiative by the BCCI. BCCI energy committee chairman Deb A Mukherjee said the agreement will forge an alliance between the chamber and TERI to work together in the domain of renewables and allied fields.
3. Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI Review Committee on Rio Debacle:
- The five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle has been constituted by National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
- The committee will be headed by India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra.
- Other members of the committee are former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- The committee will examine and identify causes behind shooting not securing any medals at the Rio Olympics.
- It will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks.
4. Union Minister Maneka Gandhi launches POCSO e-box:
- Union Minister of Women and Child Development Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box in New Delhi.
- POCSO e-box is a platform where a child victim of sexual abuse can report such cases online.
- It is initiative of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights for Direct online Reporting of Child Sexual Abuse.
5. SRK, Akshay, Salman & Big B amid top 20 highest-paid global actors:
- The list published by Forbes magazine considers earnings from June 2015, and featured Shah Rukh Khan and Akshay Kumar as the top two highest paid actors on 8th and 10th rank.
- The list also includes Salman Khan on 14th rank, which is followed by legend Amitabh Bachchan on 18th position.
- The list was topped by former WWE wrestler and present actor, Dwayne Johnson, who filled his pocket with as much as 64.5 million dollars through movies such as Central Intelligence and Fast & Furious 8.
6. DIPP to launch awareness campaign on IPR:
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) Secretary Ramesh Abhishek has flagged off the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) awareness campaign in New Delhi.
- It will be taken forward by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) in collaboration with the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM) and Industry Associations.
- CIPAM is a professional body under DIPP and it has already conducted a pilot round of awareness road shows across 18 states over June and July this year.
7. Rail passengers to get insurance cover worth Rs 10 lacs at a premium of only 92 paise:
- A travel insurance cover of up to Rs10 lakh can be availed while booking a train ticket online by paying less than one rupee from 31 August.
- A person booking a train ticket through the IRCTC website will be able opt for travel insurance cover for a premium of 92 paise only from 31 August.
- Indian Railways subsidiary IRCTC has assigned the task to three private firms are Shriram General Insurance, ICICI Lombard General Insurance and Royal Sundaram General Insurance.
8. Meghalaya CM Sangma inducts M M Danggo & Ronnie V:
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya Mukul Sangma has dropped deputy chief minister Rowell Lyngdoh and health minister A L Hek to accommodate former Assembly Speaker Martin Danggo and Government Chief Whip Ronnie V Lyngdoh.
- Today , their swearing-in will be held at the Raj Bhavan,Shillong.
- This is the first major reshuffle by Mr Sangma after the general elections two years ago.
9. Indian economy to grow 7.9% this fiscal: Goldman Sachs:
- US multinational banking firm Goldman Sachs says Indian economy is likely to grow 7.9% in this year 2016-17.
- The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is an American multinational banking firm that engages in global investment banking, investment management, securities, and other financial services, primarily with institutional clients.
10. RBI asks banks to provide loans to women SHGs at 7% rate:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked banks to provide loans to woman self-help groups (SHGs) up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 per cent interest rate for the current financial year.
- All women self-help groups (SHGs) will be eligible for interest subvention under the “Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana”– National Rural Livelihoods Mission in 250 districts.
- SHGs availing capital subsidy under the Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana in their existing credit outstanding will not be eligible for benefit under this scheme.
11. Five Indian companies ranked among world's 100 most innovative:
- Five Indian companies ranked among world's 100 most innovative, including Asian Paints, Hindustan Unilever, Tata Consultancy Services, Sun Pharma and Larsen & Toubro have been ranked among Forbes’s list of ‘The World’s Most Innovative Companies’.
- The list is topped by Tesla Motors for the second consecutive year.
- Indian Companies: 1. Asian Paints 18th position 2. Hindustan Unilever - 31st 3. Tata Consultancy Services - 66th 4. Sun Pharmaceutical Industries - 73rd 5. Larsen & Toubro stood at 89th spot.
12. Sri Lanka’s Tillakaratne Dilshan retires from ODIs:
- Sri Lanka’s aggressive cricketer Tillakaratne Mudiyanselage Dilshan will quit international cricket after the ongoing limited overs series against Australia.
- According to Dilshan, he has decided to retire from the One-Day Internationals (ODI) after the third match in Dambulla (on Sunday) and will play the two Twenty20s and then he retire completely.
- Dilshan made his Test and ODI debut during the Sri Lankan cricket team’s tour to Zimbabwe in 1999.
- So far, he played 329 ODIs and amassed 10,248 runs that include 22 hundred.
13. Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award will be conferred with the Jharkhand Dungdung:
- Former Olympian Silvanus Dungdung Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award will be rewarded.
- Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player, who is considered as one the greatest field hockey player of all time.