1. Gujarat becomes first state to distribute 2 Cr. LED bulbs:
- Gujarat has become the first Indian state to distribute two crore LED bulbs under the Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for all (UJALA) scheme.
- Gujarat has reached this milestone in just 96 days and over 42 lakh households have already benefitted from the scheme.
- Under the administration of the Power Ministry, Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is distributing about 2 lakh bulbs daily in Gujarat.
- Over 15 crore LED bulbs have already been distributed across India under UJALA Scheme.
2. Govt. approves 16 highway projects in 11 states:
- The Union Government has approved 16 highway projects in 11 states to be executed at a cost of 7,457 crore rupees.
- According to Road Transport and Highways Secretary Sanjay Mitra,the standing Finance Committee has cleared these projects for 622 kilometre.
- Two of the projects pertain to Char Dham yatra connectivity in Uttarakhand.
- The projects are in Maharashtra, Odisha, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Sikkim.
3. NPCI launches Bharat Bill Payment System pilot project:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched a pilot project for Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) with 26 Bharat Bill Payment Operating Units (BBPOUs).
- In the first phase, BBPS will cover repetitive payments for everyday utility services such as electricity, water, gas, telephone and Direct-to-Home (DTH).
4. State Bank of Travancore appoints new Chief GM Ashok Kumar Pradhan:
- Ashok Kumar Pradhan has taken over as its Chief General Manager of State Bank Of Travancore.He succeeds S Adikesavan.
- Pradhan has started his banking career in 1985 as a Probationary Officer in State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur.
5. India jumps 19 places in Logistics Performance Index: World Bank
- India jumped 19 places in the Logistics Performance Index to rank 35th in this year’s list.
- The World Bank has recently released a Logistics Performance Index (LPI) 2016 report titled ‘Connecting to Complete 2016’.
- The logistics' list was topped by Germany.
6. Vice President to launch Vidyadhanam educational scholarship:
- Vice President Md. Hamid Ansari will launch the Vidyadhanam educational scholarship at St.Teresa’s College in Kochi.
- The scholarship instituted with the support of the State Bank of India and is implemented by the K.V. Thomas Vidyadhanam Trust.
- The scheme will benefit students (948 – this year) of government and aided schools in Ernakulam Lok Sabha constituency.
7. Goa Assembly ratifies GST Bill:
- The Goa Legislative Assembly today unanimously passed a resolution ratifying the amendments to the Constitution to pave way for the presidential assent to the Goods and Services (GST) Bill, 2016.
- Goa is the 15th State Assembly to ratify the Bill. With this, 50% of States have passed the Bill paving way for the presidential assent.
8. Goa govt signs MoU with Google India:
- The Goa government has signed a memorandum of understanding with Google India to promote digital literacy and drive the digital transformation in the state.
- Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar and Vice President, Google South East Asia and India Rajan Anandan signed the MoU.
9. Majuli in Assam to become India’s first island district:
- Majuli in Assam is all set to become the first island district of the country.
- It will be upgraded to a district from sub-division on 8th September.
- Majuli covers an area of around 340 miles and is one of the prime tourist destinations of North East.
- Nearly 1 lakh 60 thousand people reside in the island.
10. Jharkhand becomes first state to implement PFMS:
- Jharkhand is the first state in the country to have implemented Public Fund Management System (PFMS).
- Development Commissioner Amit Khare said Union Finance Secretary Ashok Lavasa appreciated the implementation of Jharkhand's public fund management system.
11. Union Minister JP Nadda unveiled Mera Aspatal – My Hospital initiative:
- Union Health and Family Welfare Minister JP Nadda launched the ‘Mera Aspataal’ (my hospital) initiative.
- This move seeks to empower the patients by seeking their views on the quality of experience in a public healthcare facility.
12. Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sand art ‘world peace’ wins award in Russia:
- Noted artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won people’s choice award for his sand sculpture ‘Mahatma Gandhi sculpture for non-violence and peace‘ made during an international championship in Russia.
- Pattnaik’s art has got 60 thousand votes out of the total 80 thousand votes from the visitors to the exhibition.
- Pattnaik was honoured with the country’s fourth highest civilian award Padma Shri in 2014.
13. Mobikwik joins hand with 12 state electricity boards:
- India's largest digital payment company in India, MobiKwik has announced coalition with 12 state electricity boards.
- The MobiKwik took this initiative ahead of its expansion plan to set up a national base for utility payments.
14. Ten Sports sold to Sony Pictures for Rs 2,600 crore:
- Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) and ZEE have entered into definitive agreements to acquire TEN Sports Network and its subsidiaries for $385 million.
- The acquisition will add five sports channels, TEN 1, TEN 1 HD, TEN 2, TEN 3, TEN Golf HD to SPN's existing portfolio of channels.
15. Bhutan set to host Asian Tennis Tour event next month:
- Bhutan is all set to become the fourth Asian country (after India, Thailand and Iran) to host a tournament on the Asian Tennis Tour (ATT) scheduled from 16th to 18th September.
- It will be country’s first ever international tennis tournament.
- More than 30 ATT tournaments set to be held at various cities in Asia this year between September and December.
16. England beat Pakistan in 3rd one-day after scoring record 444 in ODI:
- England struck a world record one-day international (ODI) total of 444 for three as they crushed Pakistan by 169 runs at Trent Bridge.
- Chasing the mammoth target of 445 runs to win the match, Pakistan were all out for 275 in 42.4 overs.
- England’s total surpassed the previous record of 443 for nine by Sri Lanka against the Netherlands at Amstelveen in 2006.
- Alex Hales (England) scored 171 off 122 balls while Jos Buttler hit an unbeaten 90 off just 51 balls.