1. India and Fiji join hands for Air Services agreement:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the PM Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of new Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Fiji.
- The Agreement is for updating of the existing Air Services Agreement (ASA) between the two countries which was signed on 28th January, 1974.
- The update is as per latest ICAO template keeping in view the latest developments in civil aviation sector and with an objective to improve the air connectivity between the two countries.
2. Madhya Pradesh, Delhi Assembly passes GST Bill:
- Delhi Assembly has ratified the Goods and Service Tax Constitution Amendment Bill.
- It is the third non-BJP-ruled state and overall the 8th to clear the proposed tax regime.
- GST is a tax levied when a consumer buys a good or service. It is meant to be a single, comprehensive tax that will subsume all the other smaller indirect taxes on consumption like service tax, excise duty etc.
3. Telangana gets its first children’s court in Hyderabad:
- Telangana has become the third state (after, Goa and Delhi) to have child-friendly court.
- The Court room was jointly inaugurated by acting HC chief justice Ramesh Ranganathan and Telangana State director general of police (DGP) Anurag Sharma at the Nampally Criminal Courts Complex in Hyderabad.
- The judge and the police personnel will be in plain clothes in the children’s court and unlike a normal court set-up.
- The child will not be allowed to come face to face with the alleged offenders to make sure he/she is not intimidated while the court proceedings are on.
4. Sakshi Malik will be brand ambassador of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign:
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar has announced that Sakshi Malik, India’s bronze medalist at the Rio Olympics, will be the brand ambassador of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign in the state.
- The programme aims to empower the girl child and reduce rates of female foeticide in districts with low child sex ratio.
5. Union govt launches online library “Sugamya Pustakalaya”:
- Government has launched accessible E-Library “Sugamya Pustakalaya” for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan in New Delhi.
- Sugamya Pustakalaya is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages in multiple accessible formats.
- Over 2 lakhs books are available in Accessible formats for people with visual impairment and other print disabilities.
6. Naqvi launches websites for Ministry of Minority Affairs:
- The Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched new Hindi website and updated and revamped English website of the Minority Affairs Ministry.
- The new improved and revamped website http://www.minorityaffairs.gov.in is very user-friendly and provides easy navigation.
7. Pink colour envelop launches in Jharkhand to expedite judicial process:
- A special pink colour envelop under speed post has been launched by the Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court Justice Virender Singh with a purpose to expedite judicial process.
- All the notice and summons of the High Court will be served through this envelop, which would be a special category of Speed Post.
- Now, the entire process of the service could be tracked online.
8. Union Cabinet approves introduction of Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the draft Surrogacy Bill 2016, aimed at regulating commissioning of surrogacy in the country in a proper manner.
- It will ensure effective regulation of surrogacy, prohibit commercial surrogacy and allow ethical surrogacy to the needy infertile couples.
9. Deepika Padukone is world’s 10th highest paid actress:
- Forbes magazine ranked out the world’s highest paid actresses and Hunger games star Jennifer Lawrence has topped the list for the second time in a row. Indian star Deepika Padukone is also among the top 10 highest-paid actresses in the world.
- The Top 5 List :- 1. Jennifer Lawrence 2. Mellissa Mccarthy 3. Scarlett Johansson 4. Jennifer Aniston 5. Fan bingbing.
10. Deepika Padukone: Indian Psychiatric Society’s new Bran Ambassador:
- Deepika Padukone has also joined hands with the Indian Psychiatric Society as its brand ambassador to spread awareness about mental health and help reduce the stigma associated with its ailments.
11. Scientists discovered Earth-sized planet orbiting star nearest to Sun:
- Scientists have discovered an Earth-sized planet orbiting the star nearest to the Sun.
- According to a team of European scientists the planet known as Proxima b is located just four light-years away from the Earth.
- Proxima b could be within the habitable zone, where it is neither too hot nor too cold to support life and where temperatures could allow the presence of liquid water.
12. Telangana Aarogyasri Trust bags FICCI award:
- Mobile app of Telangana Aarogyasri Healthcare Trust has bagged Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)’s healthcare excellence award of this year.
- It is the second award for the app having secured the “Elite Smart Healthcare Conclave” for being the most important mobile app in the nation.
- Aarogyasri CEO Dr. M. Chandrasekhar will receive the award from Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda at a function to be held in Delhi on 31th August.
- Three months ago this mobile app was launched by Mr. Laxma Reddy.
13. JNPT signs agreement with SBI, Bank of Singapore for ECB of $400mn:
- India’s Jawaharlal Nehru Port has signed 400 Million US Dollar agreement with State Bank of India and Development Bank of Singapore for External Commercial Borrowing (ECB) in Navi Mumbai.
- The agreement has been signed by JNPT Chairman Anil Diggikar.
- The ECB of 400 Million Dollar will be primarily utilised for expansion of JNPT’s existing road network connecting to its port project.
- It will help JNPT to double its existing capacity.
14. Former Bihar, West Bengal and Haryana Governor A R Kidwai passes away:
- Former Governor of Bihar,West Bengal and Haryana Akhlaq Ur Rahman Kidwai (96-year) passed away after a brief illness.
- Kidwai served as the Governor of several states for a record period of 17 years.
- He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan for his outstanding contribution towards public affairs.
15. Singapore’s longest serving president Sellapan Ramanathan passes away:
- Indian-origin Former President of Singapore Sellapan Ramanathan (92-year) passed away.
- He was the sixth and longest-serving (1999 to 2011) President of Singapore.
- Ramanathan was closely associated with the founding leader of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew.
- He was born in 1924 in the family of Indian Tamil descent in Straits Settlements of Singapore.