1. Andhra Pradesh becomes first state to launch DNA profiling of criminals:
- Andhra Pradesh became the first state in the country to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA (Deoxyribonucleac acid) profiling of criminals.
- The system uses the latest DNA technology tool (also known as RapidHIT DNA System) developed by IntegenX of United States.
- The DNA Index System (DIS) allows generation of DNA profiles from live samples like buccal swabs, saliva and blood stains etc.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee launches Akashvani Maitree channel:
- India state radio broadcaster's Akashvani Maitree Channel, a special Bengali channel targeted at the Bengali-speaking audience of India, Bangladesh and in other countries, was launched by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- The initiative will provide a platform for blending content both from India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali culture. It will be broadcast from a state-of-the-art brand new high power 1000Kw DRM transmitter.
3. India is 7th wealthiest country:
- The New World Wealth, India is ranked 7th among the wealthiest countries in the world in terms of private wealth held by individuals. The New World Wealth is a research consultancy that tracks the global wealth sector.
- The value of total individual wealth in India – which includes property, cash, equities and business interests – is pegged at $3,492 billion in 2015.
- The Top 5 Counties are: 1. US 2. China 3. Japan 4. UK 5. Germany.
4. Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh & Gujarat Assembly Ratifies GST Bill:
- The Chhattisgarh, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh state Assembly passed the Goods and Service Tax (GST) Constitution Amendment Bill, becoming the fifth, sixth and seventh state to pass the bill respectively.
- Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Gujarat governments ratified the Constitution 122 Amendment Bill (GST) after Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand and Himachal Pradesh.
- In Madhya Pradesh, the state legislative assembly today ratified GST Amendment Bill.
5. Union Government, Maharashtra Government and AAI sign MoU on Regional Connectivity Scheme:
- The Maharashtra State government, Civil Aviation Ministry and Airports Authority of India signed a tri-partite Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on 23-August-2016 at Mumbai.
- The MOU pave the way for collaborative process of these agencies together for successful launch of the Regional Connectivity Scheme.
- It was signed by Chairman, Airports Authority of India, Principal Secretary Civil Aviation (Maharashtra) and Joint Secretary (Ministry of Civil Aviation).
6. India, Germany sign pact on vocational training:
- India and Germany today signed an agreement that aims to foster conditions that will help create and improve workplace-based vocational training in India's industrial clusters.
- Under the pact, German technical assistance will be used to enhance industry institute partnerships between Indian and German organizations, build capacity of local training institutions and foster industry linkages which will help adapt elements of the German dual system into the Indian context.
7. Reliance Cement becomes subsidiary of Birla Corporation Limited:
- Reliance Infrastructure Ltd (RInfra) announced that it completed 100 percent sale of Reliance Cement Company Private Limited (RCCPL) to Birla Corporation Limited.
- While RInfra is an entity of the Anil Ambani-headed Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (Reliance ADAG), Birla Corp is the flagship Company of the M P Birla Group.
- It was valued at 4800 crore rupees or 140 US dollars per tonne and the proceeds will utilised by RInfra towards debt reduction.
8. India's Oscar entry for 2017 to be picked by Ketan Mehta:
- The Film Federation of India (FFI) has kickstarted the process to cherry pick the film, which will officially represent India at the 89th Academy Awards next year.
- And the deadline for submitting entries for the foreign film category Oscar is October 1.
- Ketan Mehta has been approached to head the 17-member jury which comprises technicians and artists within the film industry.
9. Odisha cabinet approves Startup Policy 2016:
- Odisha Cabinet has approved the “Odisha Startup Policy 2016” to promote entrepreneurship for start-up ventures with provision of government incentives.
- The policy will chart out a roadmap to place Odisha among the top three investment destinations in the country by 2020.
10. Delhi To Get All-New Aerospace Museum:
- Delhi will soon have a sprawling new Aerospace Museum close to the international airport focused mainly on Nation's rich aviation history.
- New Aerospace Museum is not only meant to preserve the glorious tradition of the IAF but also to create awareness in general public about India's rich Aerospace heritage.
- After the approval, the new museum would be ready for the tourists within 3-5 years.
11. China's unmanned submersible sets new national record:
- China's unmanned submersible has dived to a depth of 10,767 metres at the world's deepest ocean point, setting a new record for the country to enable it to explore ocean beds for minerals and other natural resources.
- This dive created a new record for China that also helps the country to enable it to explore ocean beds for minerals and other natural resources.
12. Airtel and Vodafone unveils e-KYC solution to use Aadhar number for SIM activation:
- Bharti Airtel and Vodafone has started rolling out Aadhaar based e-KYC solution following the notification by the Department of Telecom, Government of India.
- Telecom operator Vodafone will roll out e-KYC facility across 4,500 stores in India that will quickly activate SIMs of its customers with an Aadhaar number.
13. North Korea test fires new ballistic missile:
- North Korea today test fired a new ballistic missile. South Korea's military said, it was launched from a submarine in the Sea of Japan, off North Korea's eastern coast.
- The test comes one day after the United States and South Korea launched joint military exercises on the peninsula.
14. Mathrubhumi former editor K K Sreedharan Nair passes away:
- Mathrubhumi former editor K K Sreedharan Nair passed away at a private hospital in Kochi. He was 86.
- He started his carrer in Journalism as a sub-editor in Mathrubhumi in 1953, Nair had an illustrious career in various capacities including Chief Sub-Beginning his journalism career as a sub-editor in Mathrubhumi in 1953, Nair had an illustrious career in various capacities including Chief Sub-Editor, News Editor and Deputy Editor.