1. Kamal Haasan gets prestigious French honor:
- Prominent film actor Kamal Haasan (birth name- Parthasarathy) will be awarded the prestigious Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres(The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) by the French Government.
- The order is a part of France’s premier award, the Legion of Honor.
- He will be the second Tamil actor after the legendary Sivaji Ganesan to be chosen for the honor.
- The other recipients of the Chevalier Order from India include actors Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai,Nandita Das and Shah Rukh Khan.
2. Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay HC:
- Justice Manjula Chellur on Monday took oath as the Chief Justice of the Bombay HC.
- Chelluar, who was the Chief Justice of Calcutta HC, was transferred following the retirement of DH Waghela on August 10.
- Chellur is 2nd woman to hold the post, after Sujata Manohar in 1994.
3. Telangana CM Announces Rs 50 Lakh Reward to Dipa Karmakar:
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has announced cash prize of Rs. 50 lakh to Dipa Karmakar (from Tripura), who finished fourth in women’s gymnastics at Rio Olympics.
- Mr. Rao took the decision recognizing the need to encourage girls in all disciplines.
- Deepa created a record as the lone Indian woman to qualify for a gymnastic event in Olympics after 52 years.
- Earlier,The Telangana government had decided gave cash reward of Rs. 1 crore to Sakshi Malik (bronze at Rio Olympics).
4. IOA chief Ramachandran awarded the Olympic Order:
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President N. Ramachandran has been awarded the Olympic Order(established in May 1975) for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
- Olympic Order is the highest award of the Olympic Movement and is awarded for distinguished contributions to the Olympic Movement.
- The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach presented the award to Ramachandran.
- Ramachandran was the President of the Indian Triathlon Federation and later he was Secretary General of the Squash Rackets Federation of India.
5. Guruvayur included in PRASAD scheme:
- The famous Sreekrishna temple in Guruvayur has been included in the Union Tourism Ministry’s Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spirituality Augmentation Drive (PRASAD).
- Under this PRASAD scheme Development of roads, new streetlights and improvement of drinking water supply will also be taken up. Protection of the monument, toilet facilities, rest rooms, watchtower, open-air theatres, rain shelters and primary health centers are other priorities.
6. P D Gupta appointed VC of Homi Bhabha National Institute:
- Eminent scientist P D Gupta has been appointed as Vice-Chancellor (VC) of Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai.
- He has been appointed to the post for five years.
- The HBNI is an aided institution of the Department of Atomic Energy and is a deemed university under the UGC Act.
7. 'Shankhachil' selected for Montreal Film Festival:
- Director Goutam Ghosh's National award-winning film "Shankhachil", an Indo-Bangla joint production, has been selected for the coveted 40th Montreal World Film Festival.
- This movie narrates the pain and anguish of people living on both sides of the border following the partition of Bengal and this starring Prosenjit Chatterjee.
8. Maneka Gandhi Inaugurate Animal Birth Control Centre in Dehradun:
- Union Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Maneka Gandhi has inaugurated the Uttarakhand’s first animal birth control center (ABC) at Dehradun.
- It will take up birth control measures with stray dogs the population of which has been rising in the city and the state.
- The centers will be set up in Nainital and Mussoorie and other five municipal corporations in Haridwar, Haldwani, Kashipur, Haldwani and Roorkee.
9. Sunil Mittal re-appointed Chairman of Bharti Airtel:
- Sunil Bharti Mittal has been re-appointed as the Chairman of Bharti Airtel for next 5 years with effect from October 1st ,2016.
- Bharti Airtel Limited is an Indian global telecommunications services company based in New Delhi, India.
- It operates in 18 countries across South Asia, Africa, and the Channel Islands.
- Mittal was awarded India’s third highest civilian honor the Padma Bhushan in 2007.
- On June 15, 2016, he was elected as Chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce.
10. BSNL and Microsoft India join hands for effective connectivity and telecom solutions:
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) inked pact with Microsoft India to offer telecom and IT solutions for big businesses promoting the demand for IT and cloud services.
- MoU will assist audio and video needs of the BSNL's enterprise customers and government organizations.
- The agreement was signed and exchanged by BSNL chairman and managing director Anupam Shrivastava and Microsoft India chairman Bhaskar Pramanik.
11. Railways to partner with Google for showcasing its heritage:
- Google has agreed to partner with Railways to digitise its heritage assets and help create a digital repository for universal online access free of cost.
- Indian Railway has a huge list of heritage assets including bridges, steam locos, buildings, artefacts and museums which can be showcased for global audience.
12. Indo-Canadian Sikh MP becomes Canada’s 1st woman House leader:
- Indo-Canadian Sikh MP Bardish Chagger has been named as the new Leader of the government in Canada’s House of Commons, becoming the first woman to hold the post in the country’s history.
- Ms. Chagger, the 36-year-old Waterloo MP and Minister of Small Business and Tourism, was among 19 Indian-origin candidates who won in last year’s general election.
13. Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee dies:
- Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee (71-year) passed away in Kolkata.
- Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
- He officiated in men’s and women’s international matches as well as in age group tournaments and stood in a women’s Test match.
14. Prize-winning author Joyce Carol Thomas dead at 78:
- Joyce Carol Thomas, a prize-winning children’s author and champion of multiculturalism, has died at the age of 78.
- Joyce Carol Thomas was anAfrican-American poet, playwright, motivational speaker, and author of more than 30 children’s books.
15. Scientists for first time develop laser from fluorescent jellyfish proteins:
- First-time Scientists have developed LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria.
- It represents a major advance breakthrough in so-called polariton lasers operating at room temperature.
- Polariton laser works by passing photons back and forth between excited molecules.
16. Vistara appoints Deepika Padukone as brand ambassador:
- Vistara, is an Indian domestic airline based in Gurgaon has announced that Bollywood actor Deepika Padukone will be their new brand ambassador.
- The airline will launch a new campaign featuring Deepika they will be broadcast on TV channels across India starting August 22, 2016.
- Through this campaign, Vistara wishes to reach out to its core audience of corporate and frequent flyers, who value a seamless, reliable, and consistent service experience above everything else, and are willing to pay a reasonable premium for the unique offerings provided by a world-class full service airline.
17. Sania Mirza gets No 1 spot in women's doubles by defeating Martina Hingis:
- Sania Mirza, paired with Barbora Strycova from the Czech Republic, defeated Martina Hingis and her partner Coco Vandeweghe 7-5, 6-4.
- This is the first win for Indo-Czech pair.
- With the win, Sania retained her number one status on the women's doubles ranking as Hingis slipped to 2nd spot.
18. Brazil defeats Germany, wins first Olympic soccer gold:
- Brazil has beaten Germany to bag their Olympic Men’s Football gold for the first time in its history.
- The pulsating Final ended 1-1 at the end of regulation time.
- In the shootout, Brazil defeated Germany 5-4.