1. Urjit Patel appointed as new RBI Governor:
- Urjit Patel (53-year) has been appointed as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) after Raghuram Rajan demits office on September 4.
- Patel’s appointment has been made on the recommendation of the Financial Sector Regulatory Appointments Search Committee (FSRASC), headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
- Mr. Patel has been serving as Deputy Governor of the central bank for more than three years.
- He has worked with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) between 1990 and 1995 covering the US, India, Bahamas and Myanmar desks.
2. Usain Bolt wins gold in 4×100 relay:
- Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt bagged his third Gold in Rio Olympics 2016.
- Usain won the 4×100 meters relay and bid farewell to Olympics with 9 sprint Gold medals to his name.
- He combined with Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashmeade to lift gold in a time of 37.27 seconds.
- Earlier,Bolt has won the 100 meters, 200 meters and 4×100 meters in Beijing 2008, London 2012 and now in Rio 2016.
3. P V Sindhu wins silver in women’s singles badminton:
- Ace shuttler of India Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (21-year) has won a silver medal in women’s singles badminton event at Rio Olympics, 2016.
- World No-1 Spain’s Carolina Marin (23-year) beat Sindhu 21-19, 21-12, 21-15 at the badminton final to take Gold medal.
- Sindhu is the first Indian female and first ever Indian shuttler to win an Olympic silver medal .
4. PM Modi to be new brand ambassador of Incredible India:
- Indian government’s Tourism Ministry has decided that instead of getting a brand ambassador for the Incredible India campaign, it will make Prime Minister Narendra Modi the face of the campaign.
- But his face will be used for the advertisements and promotional films. Even Gujarat Tourism’s prosperity will also be mentioned.
5. BRICS women Parliamentarian’s forum begins in Jaipur:
- Today, a two-day meeting of BRICS women parliamentarian’s forum began in Jaipur,Rajasthan.Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has inaugurated the meeting which will have different plenary sessions.
- Total 43 Parliamentarians from BRICS countries including 28 MPs from Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha are participating in the meeting .where sustainable development goals are being discussed.
- BRICS is the grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
6. PM Modi's monogrammed suit enters Guinness Records as 'most expensive suit sold':
- The monogrammed suit worn by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his meeting with American President Barack Obama last year, which created huge controversy, entered Guinness Book of World Records as ‘the most expensive suit sold’.
- The suit was sold at an auction for Rs 4.31 crore.
7. DTC passengers will be able to pay bus fares using metro smart card:
- From October this year,Delhiites will be able to pay Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus fares using their metro smart card .
- Passengers will be required to swipe their metro smart card through E-Ticketing Machines (ETM)to be installed inside the DTC buses.
- The corporation has conducted a successful trial using the smart card through ETM installed in a bus.
- A common mobility card will be introduced this year which passengers can use to travel on both the Metro and DTC buses.
8. Indian-American inducted in Texas Women's Hall of Fame:
- Renu Khator, Indian-American woman academic, will be inducted into the Texas Women's Hall of Fame for making significant contribution for the benefit of the US' second largest state.
- Dr. Renu Khator – Public Service is the chancellor of the University of Houston System and president of the University of Houston.
9. Pt Shiv Kumar Sharma to get lifetime achievement award:
- Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana has announced that Santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma will be conferred upon with the annual Sangeet Martand Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award 2016.
- The society has been felicitating stalwarts of Indian classical music and dance with the award since 1986 to recognize their contribution towards enriching the art forms.
- Last year,the honour was conferred upon Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj.
- The award carries a cash prize of 50000 rupees, a memento and a citation.
10. BEL head bags top award:
- SK Sharma, Chairman and MD, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), has been awarded as the Most Enterprising CEO in Electronics Sector by the Indo Global Business Council (IGBC), a policy think-tank based in New Delhi.
- M M Joshi, Executive Director (National Marketing), BEL, received the award on behalf of CMD.
11. Forex reserve at record high of USD 365.82 billion:
- India’s foreign exchange reserves surged by USD 73.2 million to touch a life-time high of USD 365.82 billion in the last week ended.
- According to RBI press release, foreign currency assets increased by USD 81.6 million to USD 340.36 billion.
- Last year,the reserves had increased by USD 253.6 million to touch USD 365.75 billion.
- Gold reserves remained unchanged at USD 21.58 billion in the week.
12. Cipla, Godrej recognized in Fortune ‘Change the World’ list:
- India’s pharmaceutical giant Cipla Ltd and consumer goods conglomerate Godrej have been recognized by Fortune magazine in a list of global firms changing the world for the good and having a positive social impact through their activities.
- Cipla is ranked 46th in the list of 50 followed by Godrej on the 48th spot, the only Indian companies in the list.
- The list has been topped by British pharma giant GlaxoSmithKline and includes Swiss food products major Nestlé (5), India-born Ajay Banga-led Mastercard (7), First Solar(10).