1. Suresh Prabhu flags off Agartala-Delhi train 'Tripura Sundari Express':
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has flagged off maiden broad-gauge train service between Agartala and Delhi, ‘Tripura Sundari Express’.
- The ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ will run weekly between Agartala and Anand Vihar in Delhi. The rail link was developed at an expense of 968 crore rupees.
- Apart from this, Prabhu along with Bangladesh Railway Minister Md. Mazibul Hoque also laid the foundation stone for Agartala-Akhaura International Rail Project. This train link would be part of the trans-Asian rail connectivity.
2. Resolution to rename Madras HC as Tamil Nadu HC passed:
- The Tamil Nadu Assembly on 1 August 2016 unanimously passed a resolution to rename the Madras High Court as the Tamil Nadu High Court.
- The resolution on the matter was moved by Chief Minister J Jayalalitha as most of the High Courts established after the formation of new states based on linguistic lines have been named after the states only.
- The resolution was presented in light of the High Courts (Alteration of Names) Bill, 2016, which was introduced in Lok Sabha on 19 July 2016.
- The demand of renaming the High Court remained dormant since the state got the name Tamil Nadu in 1967. The demand came active in the state after the introduction of the Bill in the Lok Sabha that wants to change the names of Madras, Bombay and Culcatta High Courts.
3. Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with Japan to develop food value chain:
- The Andhra Pradesh government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Japan to develop a food value chain in the state.
- Under the MoU, Japan's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MAFF) will encourage direct investments by Japanese companies in the fields of agriculture and food-related industry in Andhra Pradesh.
- Along with developing a food value chain, it will also establish food industrial parks and develop cold chains.
4. IRCTC's app tie-up with Mobikwik for e-cash payments:
- Mobile payments company MobiKwik and Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) have announced an exclusive partnership, wherein MobiKwik will power e-cash payments on IRCTC's e-catering app, Food on Track.
- The app allows passengers to book and get food from their preferred restaurants, delivered right at their train coaches. MobiKwik is also powering payments for IRCTC Connect, which allows users to book train tickets instantly.
- MobiKwik is a mobile wallet and online payment system where a user can store money to make mobile and DTH recharge, pay utility bills and shop using wallet with over 50,000 merchants.
5. Oracle India Joins SBI To Foster Digital Skills Initiative:
- Global software major, Oracle India has announced a corporate citizenship collaboration with State Bank of India (SBI) and launched the 'D-Change' programme which will support education and learning, women's empowerment and rural skills development in the country.
- The initiative will merge SBI's financial expertise and expansive reach with Oracle's technology leadership to help local communities drive substantial change and develop a skilled economy.
6. NTPC commissions NP Kunta power project:
- NTPC Ltd has commissioned a 50 MW (1X50 MW) capacity solar photovoltaic power project of NP Kunta Ultra Mega Solar Power Project Stage-I at Anantapuramu in Andhra Pradesh.
- With this, the installed capacity of NP Kunta Ultra Mega Solar Power Project Stage-I coming up at Anantapuramu has touched 250 MW and that of NTPC Group now stands at 47,228 MW.
7. ICICI Bank reduces MCLR by 0.05%:
- Country's largest private sector lender ICICI Bank has announced a 0.05% reduction in its marginal cost of funds based lending rate (MCLR).
- The overnight MCLR will be 8.90% under the revised rate structure which is effective from today.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) introduced the MCLR from April 1 this year for faster transmission of its policy actions into actual lending rates by the banks. The MCLR replaced the base rate system and so far the banks, lenders have been very quick to react to competitive forces in making marginal rate adjustments.
8. Lewis Hamilton wins 2016 German Grand Prix title of Formula One:
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has won the 2016 German Grand Prix title of Formula One. It was his fourth consecutive win in the 2016 season and overall fifth title of the 2016 season.
- Earlier in 2016 season, he had won Monaco (May 2016), Canadian (June 2016), Austrian (July 2016), British (July 2016) and Hungarian (July 2016) Grand Prix.
- Lewis Hamilton is a British Formula One racing driver from England, currently racing for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team.
9. Patna Pirates wins 4th season of Pro Kabaddi League:
- The Patna Pirates have won the fourth edition of STAR Sports-ProKabaddi League by defeating Jaipur Pink Panthers in the final match played at Gachibowli Stadium, Hyderabad (Telangana).
- With this Patna, the unit made history as they became the only team to lift the trophy twice in the tournament’s history of four editions. The Puneri Paltan was placed at the third place in this edition after they defeated Telugu Titans.
- In the women section, Storm Queens have won inaugural edition of the Women’s Challenge of Pro Kabaddi League. In the final match, they defeated Fire Birds by the 24-23 score.
10. India to host Kabaddi World Cup in October:
- International Kabaddi Federation has announced the selection of India for hosting "The 2016 Kabaddi World Cup".
- The World Cup is featuring 12 countries namely USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan, Kenya, and India. The event is scheduled to be held in October 2016 but the dates for the event will be announced later.
- Kabaddi originated from India and is one of the most popular games of Asia. It became a part of Asian Games in the year 1990 while women Kabaddi was included in Asian Games during 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou in 2010.