1. Kerala government bans e-cigarettes:
- Kerala Government has banned e-cigarettes following study reports that the use of e-cigarettes could lead to cancer and heart diseases.
- Kerala becomes second state in India to ban e-cigarette.
- Punjab was the first state to ban e-cigarettes in November 2014 under the provisions of Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA), 2003.
- Orders have been issued banning manufacture, sale, marketing and advertising of e-cigarettes in the State.
- e-cigarettes are handy battery-powered devices that emit doses of vaporised nicotine.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi's address 'Mann Ki Baat' to be broadcast in Bangladesh:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi radio programme ‘Mann Ki Baat’ will now also be telecast to Bangladesh. The programme which reaches crores of people in real time featuring PM Modi talking on various subjects related to social, economic and political which have international audience soon.
- Mann Ki Baat will be broadcast in Bangladesh on All India Radio's upcoming Bangla language service channel Akashvani Maitree, for which AIR has made arrangements to receive comments and voice messages from Bangladeshi citizens.
- The purpose behind this soft diplomacy is to strengthen bilateral ties and break the stranglehold of Pakistani and Chinese radio channels in the neighbouring country.
3. Nitin Gadkari kick-starts national green highways mission:
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has launched the plantation drive on 1,500 kilometers of National Highways at a cost of about 300 crore rupees under the National Green Highways Mission in New Delhi.
- The launch has been announced at a workshop yesterday orgnized by the National Green Highways Mission on the theme Green Highways Projects: Way Ahead.
- The project has a huge potential to generate jobs and can prove to be a game-changer for agriculture and rural economy.
- Green cover of one kilometer of highway will provide employment to ten people.
4. Maharashtra target of planting 2 crore trees in state crossed:
- Maharashtra government started an initiative for plantation of about 2 crores trees.
- The initiative was flagged off by Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis along with Finance and Forest Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar.
- The campaign will benefit the environment as well as also counter problem of soil-erosion, help the wild animals in their growth.
5. Sports Ministry grants recognition to Paralympic Committee of India:
- The Union Sports Ministry has granted recognition to Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) after the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced temporary lifting of suspension on it.
- This recognition gives a huge confidence boost to the several para-athletes who have qualified for 2016 Rio Paralympics.
- The IPC had suspended PCI in April 2015 due to internal conflicts between different groups and persons, which were undermining the development of Paralympic Movement in India.
- Indian para-athletes were not allowed to participate in any IPC-sanctioned competition, including 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
6. RIL, SBI sign shareholder agreement for payments bank JV:
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has signed a shareholder agreement with State Bank of India (SBI) have signed Subscription and Shareholders Agreement to set up payments bank.
- According to the agreement, Reliance Industries will be the promoter with a 70 % equity contribution in the payments bank and SBI as joint venture will have 30 % equity contribution.
- Payments banks are small deposit-taking institutions that can accept deposits (initially up to 1 lakh rupees per individual).
- The minimum capital requirement is Rs. 100 crore. For the first five years, the stake of the promoter should be 40% minimum.
7. President presents BC Roy National Awards for 2008, 2009 & 2010:
- President Pranab Mukherjee has presented the Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy national awards for 2008, 2009 and 2010 at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- These awards were presented on the occasion of National Doctors’ Day observed on July 1 to pay honour and tribute to India’s most famous physician Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy.
- Awardees 2010: Nikhil C. Munshi, O.P. Kalra, Tejinder Singh, Subash Gupta, Amrinder Jit Kanwar, Rajendra Prasad and Glory Alexander.
- Awardees 2009: H. Sancheti, Renu Saxena, Atul Kumar, A.K. Kriplani, Kanan A. Yelikar, H.S. Bhanushali, G.V. Rao, Moti Lal Singh, C.N. Purandare and C.V. Hari Narayan.
- Awardees 2008: Rajeshwar Dayal, Mammen Chandy, Neelam Mohan, Rohit V. Bhatt, Mohan Kameswaran, Harsha Jauhari, Gopal H. Badlani and Yash Gulati.
8. India jumps 19 places on World Bank Logistics Performance Index; moves to 35th rank:
- India improved its ranking in the World Bank group's (WBG) bi-annual "Logistics Performance Index 2016", jumping from 54th in 2014 to 35th in 2016. This was announced by the World Bank Group in its recent launch of the report.
- In the latest ranking India has gone past countries like New Zealand, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Iceland, Latvia and Indonesia who were ahead of it in the index.
- India's jump of 19 positions in the ranking demonstrates the commitment of various Ministries and agencies of Government of India to make it easy to do business in India.
9. Rapid Rural Police Response System launched in Punjab:
- A Rapid Rural Police Response System was launched across Punjab to ensure prompt and effective police response in the state's over 12,000 villages.
- Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who launched the scheme, also flagged off 400 new motorcycles and 220 new Bolero jeeps under the new system.
- Under the system, police will respond to any crime or law and order situation within 20 minutes of it being reported.
10. India Post payments bank proposal gets Cabinet nod:
- The Union Cabinet has granted its approval to set up India Post’s payments bank, 650 branches of which will be made operational by September 2017.
- The payments bank will be managed with a professional setup, headed a chief executive officer, and will have representations from various other government departments including the Department of Posts, Department of Expenditure and Department of Economic Services among others.
- Total architecture of postal payments bank is of Rs 800 crore which will have Rs 400 crore equity and Rs 400 crore grant.
- By September 2017, all 650 branches of postal payments bank will become operational.
11. Radha Mohan Singh launches a web-based App CMRS:
- The Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh has launched Crop Manager for Rice-based Systems (CMRS) a web-based App for better crop and Nutrient management released for Bihar farmers in a program organised at ICAR-RCER in Patna.
- Crop Manager for Rice-based Systems (CMRS) is a web-based App which can be used with computer, mobile and tablet and aims to increase farmer's net income and sustain the productivity for rice-based cropping systems in Bihar, India.
- CMRS provides irrigated and rainfed farmers with rice-based cropping systems in Bihar with a crop and nutrient management guideline customized to the needs of an individual farmer.
12. Ravi Shastri resigns from ICC post:
- Former India captain and Team Director Ravi Shastri has resigned from his post as media representative in ICC’s prestigious Cricket Committee.
- The chairman of ICC Cricket Committee is current Team India coach Anil Kumble, who pipped Shastri to the job after getting nod from high profile Cricket Advisory Committee.
- The official reason is his busy media commitments as commentator, TV expert and columnist.