1. India, Kenya ink seven agreements:
1. MoU on Cooperation in the field of standardisation, expertise sharing and mutual trade between Bureau of Indian Standards and Bureau of Kenya Standards.
2. MoU on Cooperation in the field of National Housing Policy Development and Management.
3. The line of Credit Agreement for US $15 million (first tranche of US $30 million) to IDB Capital Limited, Kenya, for the development of various small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Kenya.
4. The line of Credit Agreement for the US $29.95 million to the Government of Kenya for the upgrade of Rift Valley Textiles Factory (RIVATEX East Africa Limited), Kenya.
5. Revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA).
6. A bilateral agreement on the exemption of Visa for holders of Diplomatic passports.
7. MoU on Defence Cooperation.
2. UP creates world record by planting over 5 cr saplings in ten hours:
- Uttar Pradesh has created a world record by planting more than five crore saplings in just ten hours.
- The forest department of the state started the largest statewide plantation drive in 24 hours from 10 AM.
- The state claimed it had achieved the target and planted 5.01 crore saplings across the state till 9 PM.
- UP’s official entry into the Guinness Book of World Records, however, will only be announced once the record keeping team verifies the claims, a process that is expected to take up to two months.
- This was the biggest plantation exercise undertaken anywhere in the world.
- Earlier, Madhya Pradesh had held the Guinness record of planting 1.43 crore saplings in 24 hours in August last year.
3. NABARD celebrates 35th foundation day:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) ,the apex banking body of micro-financing and funding is celebrating its 35th foundation day today.
- NABARD was established on the recommendations of Shivaraman Committee, (by Act 61, 1981 of Parliament) on 12 July 1982 to implement the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act 1981.
- It is the most important institution in the country which looks after the development of the cottage industry, small industry and village industry, and other rural industries.
- NABARD also reaches out to allied economies and supports and promotes integrated development.
- Its headquarters in Mumbai (Maharashtra)and other branches are all over the country.
4. Delhi govt approves proposal to continue 50 pc subsidy on electricity bills:
- Delhi govt has approved a proposal to continue 50% subsidy on electricity bills in national capital.
- The decision was taken in a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
- The Finance Department advised it to approve the subsidy proposal in the Cabinet following which it would “legally” be able to release the amount to be incurred on subsidy to the discoms in the current financial year.
- The Cabinet approved the proposal to shell out about Rs 1,600 crore on the power subsidy to be given to discoms in the current financial year.
5. President confers the 51st Jnanpith Award on Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari:
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee conferred the 51st Jnanpith Award on the renowned writer, Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari.
- The Jnanpith Award is an Indian literary award presented annually by the Bharatiya Jnanpith and is given to an author for the "outstanding contribution towards literature". Instituted in 1961.
- Dr. Chaudhari represents the fluid brilliance that characterizes Indias pluralistic literary genius. It is indeed an example of his brilliant fluidity that an author, who strove to master Hindi academically, expressed himself in Gujarati in his literary pursuit.
6. Postal payment bank to revitalize postmen:
- Union Law and Justice Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has announced to launch the postal payment bank from September this year.
- Postmen across the country will be provided 1.30 lakh hand-held devices and will function more like mobile ATMs in the rural belt of the country.
- The Postal Payments Bank will provide banking services, insurance, third party delivery and collection of EMIs in rural pockets.
7. HDFC Bank's Aditya Puri named best banking CEO in Asia:
- Aditya Puri, the chief executive and managing director (MD) of the second largest private sector lender HDFC Bank, has been ranked as the best banking CEO in Asia by the investor community.
- The bank's chief financial officer Sashi Jagdishan has been ranked as the best CFO, apart from getting ranked as the best IR company as well, thereby making it the most honoured one in the Institutional Investor magazine.
8. First woman Chief Justice of Nepal Sushila Karki takes oath:
- Sushila Karki has become the first woman Chief Justice of Nepal after taking oath of office and secrecy at a special programme organised at the Presidential Residence, Sheetal Niwas.
- She will head the judiciary till June 6, 2017.
- The oath was administered by President Bidya Devi Bhandari.
- President Bhandari has also administered oath of office and secrecy to newly appointed Chief Election Commissioner Dr Ayodhi Prasad Yadav.
- Karki has done her Masters in Political Science from Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi.
9. Maharastra Police launches 4 apps:
- Maharashtra police has launched four mobile apps for timely intervention into emergency situations.
- The four applications Pratisaad Ask, Police Mitra, Vahanchoritakrar and Railway helpline app were launched by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Nagpur.
- With the launch of these apps, dependency on police emergency number 100 would reduce substantially and citizens can reach out to police to report any emergency situation or crime like robbery or assault on women 24X7.
10. Govt launches Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight:
- The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J. P. Nadda has launched a nationwide Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF) to check child diarrhoeal deaths in New Delhi.
- It will be observed from 11th to 23rd July, 2016 across the country.
- The IDCF drive is a very cost -effective intervention to curb the risk of spread of diarrhoea which scales up during monsoon season.
- Under this initiative, government aims at covering over 80% of children affected by diarrhoea across the country.
- Diarrhoea is caused by various virus, bacteria and protozoa like rota virus, E.coli etc.
- The importance of this drive is that to make ORS available in the household when needed at the time of diarrhoea.
- ASHAs will visit all households with children below 5 years of age for pre-positioning the ORS.
11. Karnataka trade body inks pact with Sanya City:
- The Karnataka Region Economic and Trade Organisation (KRETO) and the Sanya People Municipal Government, China, signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to foster trade between Sanya City and Karnataka.
- The agreement allows for large and medium delegations from Sanya to visit Karnataka and vice-versa.
- This agreement also allows for Sanya city to be certified as an approved destination for delegation visits from Karnataka.
12. Swachh survey will be extended to 500 cities: Naidu
- According to Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu Swachh survey will be extended to 500 cities, which have population over one lakh.
- States, cities, panchayats should give awards so that it becomes a movement.
- It is the political will and administrative skill which is required for clean India.
- The first-ever cleanliness ranking of cities under Swachh Bharat Mission was released in February this year.
- Mysuru has emerged as the cleanest city among all million plus and capital cities while Dhanbad in Jharkhand has been ranked the worst.
13. Air India lowers last-minute ticket fares at AC 2-Tier Rajdhani Fare:
- Air India has decided to lower its last minute ticket fares to the level of 2-tier AC of Rajdhani trains.
- Air India will drop fares on four key routes–Delhi-Mumbai, Delhi-Chennai, Delhi-Kolkata and Delhi-Bengaluru–four hours before the departure of flights to these destinations.
- The move is aimed at providing relief to the passengers from last minute sky-rocketing fares and also to fill the vacant seats.
- Under the ‘Super Saver‘ scheme, which started from June 26 and end on September 30, passengers of the Rajdhani Express trains who have wait-listed ticket could book four hours prior to the flight departure at a fare which match with the ticket price of Ist AC Rajdhani trains.
14. Sun Pharma introduces anti-cancer product in Europe:
- Sun Pharma has announced rollout of Gemcitabine InfuSMART in Europe. InfuSMART is a technology in which oncology products are developed in a ready-to-administer (RTA) bag.
- With the introduction of Gemcitabine InfuSMART, Sun Pharma become the world’s first pharmaceutical company to manufacture and launch a licensed RTA oncology product.
- InfuSMART is a technology in which oncology products are developed in a ready-to-administer (RTA) bag after the company has received regulatory approval to produce InfuSMART in eight key SKUs (stock keeping units).
15. Jinson Johnson, Dharambir Singh, Renjith Maheshwari qualify for Rio 2016 Olympics:
- sprinter Dharambir Singh and Jinson Johnson along with Triple jumper Renjith Maheshwari were the latest athletes to join the line for representing the country at the Olympics in Brazil.
- Renjith Maheshwari and Dharambir Singh also broke two national records in Triple jump and 200-metre race event respectively.
- After P Subramaniam who represented India at Moscow Olympics in 200-metre race, Dharambhir became the first male Indian to qualify at in the event for Olympic after 36 years. The men's 4*400m relay team had secured their 4*400m relay qualification.