1. India extends $92 million line of credit to Tanzania:
- Tanzania and India signed five agreements, including one for providing a line of credit of $92 million in the water resources sector.
- Other agreements signed include an MoU on water resource management and development, MoU for establishment of vocational training centre at
- MoU on visa waiver for diplomatic/official passport holders and an agreement between National Small Industries Corporation of India and Small Industries Development Organisation Tanzania.
2. Andhra Pradesh decided to conduct 'Smart Pulse Survey':
- Andhra Pradesh government has decided to conduct a 'Smart Pulse Survey' for collecting socio-economic data of 1.48 crore households in the state.
- The survey started on 8 July 2016 will end on 30 July 2016.
- In the first phase of the survey enumerators will be collecting details of Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu at his riverfront residence at Vundavalli near to Vijayawada.
- The State Cabinet on 1 June 2016 decided to conduct the survey to determine the socio-economic status and collect all other relevant details of each household in the state.
- Since the Aadhaar database does not reflect the socio-economic data such as caste, community education, income and livelihood details of a citizen, the smart pulse survey is planned to fill in the gaps related to socio-economic details. Citizens can provide their details over the Internet as well.
3. India gives SUVs to Mozambique, completes delivery of $4.5 mn grant:
- Coinciding with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Mozambique, India has handed over 30 SUVs to Mozambique.
- With this India completed the delivery of 4.5 million US dollar grant assistance as part of supporting the institutions of this African country.
- The vehicles were handed over by Amar Sinha, Secretary (Economic Relations) in the External Affairs Ministry, to an official of Mozambique's Interior Ministry.
- Swarup handed over the SUVs in a ceremony along with the caption "supporting Mozambican institutions. Shortly before that, the Prime Minister handed over four buses to Centre for Innovation and Technological Development (CIDT) as donation from India.
4. Nimi Sunilkumar wins Gourmand World Cookbook Award:
- Cookbook author and food blogger Nimi Sunilkumar has won the Gourmand World Cookbook Award for 2015-16.
- She was bestowed with this award for her cookbook “4 o’clock Temptations of Kerala”.
- It was chosen for the award in the ‘Best Indian Cuisine Cookbook’ section. The cookbook is enriched with photos and details of 54 recipes from Kerala and each of these recipes are said to be specific to each district.
- Nimi Sunilkumar has won award for the second time and earlier in 2013, her Lip-smacking Dishes of Kerala was selected third ‘Best Local Cuisine Book in the World’ category.
5. Russian leader Putin signs ‘Big Brother’ law:
- Russian President Vladimir Putin in July 2016 signed the “anti-terrorist” legislation adopted by the lower and upper houses of parliament in June 2016.
- This anti-terror amendment is dubbed as Big Brother by US intelligence contractor turned privacy activist Edward Snowden.
- Law enforcement agencies will be granted access to any user’s messages without any judicial oversight.
- It boosts the surveillance powers for the security services by requiring communication providers to store users’ calls, messages, photographs and videos for six months, and the Metadata for up to three years.
6. Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix:
- Defending Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton reeled off his fourth win in five races Sunday to storm to victory in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
- Lewis Hamilton became the first driver in history to win three British Grands Prix in a row at Silverstone.
7. Union Cabinet approves Interest Subvention Scheme for farmers:
- The Union Cabinet on 5 July 2016 approved the Interest Subvention Scheme for farmers for the year 2016-17.
- The Government has assigned a sum of 18276 crore rupees for the purpose. This scheme will help farmers getting short term crop loan payable within one year up to 3 lakhs rupees at only 4% per annum.
- The Union Government will provide interest subvention of 5% per annum to all farmers for short term crop loan payable within one year. Therefore, farmers will have to effectively pay only 4% as interest.
- In case farmers do not repay the short term crop loan in time, then they will be eligible for interest subvention of 2% as against 5% available.
- The government will give approximately 18276 crores rupees as interest subvention for 2016-17.
8. 2nd Anti-Drug Working Group meeting of Heads of Drug Control Agencies of BRICS concluded:
- The 2nd Anti-Drug Working Group meeting of Heads of Drug Control Agencies of BRICS countries concluded on 8 July 2016 in New Delhi.
- During the meeting, the participants discussed the following issues :
• Drug trafficking situation including the illicit cultivation and production of Opium and Heroin in South West Asia and South East Asia
• Illicit cultivation of Coca bush in South America
• Illicit cultivation of Cannabis plant used for production of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, Diversion and trafficking of precursor chemicals
• Illicit financial flows from drug proceeds and financing of terrorism in certain cases
• Maritime drug trafficking.