1. World’s largest charkha unveiled at Delhi airport:
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Kalraj Mishra has unveiled the world’s largest Charkha at Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport, IGI in New Delhi.
- The idea behind displaying the Charkha at the airport is to highlight India’s quest to foster an egalitarian society as demonstrated by Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation.
- Charkha represents Swadeshi, self-sufficiency and at the same time interdependence, because the wheel is at the center of a network of cotton growers, weavers, distributors and users.
- The four-tones Charkha made from high-quality Burma teak wood is estimated to last for over 50 years.
- It is 9 feet wide, 17 feet tall and 30 feet long.
2. World famous Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath begins at Puri:
- The world famous Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath has begun today in Puri, Odisha as well as in different parts of the country.
- Rath Yatra marks is an annual celebration of the journey of Lord Jagannath ,his brother Lord Balbhadra and sister Subhadra to the Gundicha temple.
- The Yatra which starts from the Puri temple, will conclude at Shree Gundicha temple, covering nearly 2.5 km distance.
- The celebration ends nine days later with Bahuda Yatra or returns journey to their temple which will take place on the 14th of this month.
- Rath Yatra is the only day in the whole year when devotees of all the religion can have an opportunity to see the Gods and Goddess of the Jagannath Puri temple.
3. SC-appointed green panel recommends high pollution cess:
- The Supreme Court-appointed green panel Environment Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) has recommended high pollution cess of up to 25% on the cost of diesel cars above 2,000 cc.
- EPCA reasoned that imposition of steep cess was imperative to control air pollution in the national capital by making diesel vehicles cost prohibitive.
- The EPCA suggested that an environment compensation charge of 10 per cent of the vehicle’s cost be imposed on diesel cars with engines up to 1200cc.
- According to EPCA the environment compensation charge for cars with engines up to 2000cc should be 20% and 25% for those above 2000cc.
4. President of India inaugurates swami Vivekanand Sabhagar:
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated Swami Vivekanand Sabhagar at Kathak Kendra of Sangeet Natak Akademi in New Delhi.
- The President dedicated The Swami Vivekanand Sabhagar to all the gurus, students and disciples of Kathak and hoped that Swami Vivekananda will forever bless us with his vision of excellence.
5. Rajasthan becomes first state to introduce minimum wages for part time workers:
- Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to introduce minimum wages for part time workers.
- According to notification of Labour Department it is now mandatory to pay 50% of the prescribed a day minimum wage to a person who works for less than four hours in a day.
- With this notification, part time workers now come under the Minimum Wages Act 1948.
- Government has also increased minimum wages in all categories of scheduled employments by Rs 104 per month.
6. TRAI launches “Myspeed app to track mobile data speed:
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) will start a consultation process to fix ‘quality of service’ rules for mobile data, including the average data speed for operators.
- The regulator also launched a mobile app for measuring real-time internet speeds that consumers get.
- The data will be made available on the Trai Analytics Portal.
- The Myspeed App will give TRAI real time data from customers and show the mobile data speed of each operator in a given area on real time basis
7. Union Cabinet approves setting up a Major port at Enayam near Colachel in Tamil Nadu:
- The Union Cabinet has given its in-principle approval for setting up a Major port at Enayam near Colachel in Tamil Nadu. On completion the port will become country’s 13th major port.
- The Enayam Major Port project seeks to make India a trans-shipment hub for the global East-West maritime trade route.
8. Nation pays homage to Babu Jagjivan Ram on his death anniversary:
- Nation pays homage to the veteran leader and great freedom fighter and administrator Babu Jagjivan Ram on his death anniversary today at Samta Sthal near Rajghat in New Delhi.
- His political legacy reminds us of the fervor, idealism and indomitable spirit of India's political leadership that not only fought and won freedom for the country but also led the firm foundation for a modern democratic polity.
9. Veteran communist leader Romesh Chandra passed away:
- Veteran communist leader and former World Peace Council president Romesh Chandra (94 year) has passed away in Mumbai.
- He was a recipient of Lenin Peace Award and had also worked as the editor of CPI’s central organ New Age.
- Chandra had taken part in freedom struggle as a student leader and later joined CPI and went on to become its national executive.
- He had also addressed United Nations’ General Assembly as peace body’s leader many a times, the highest number of times as an Indian.
10. Aditya Birla Fashion acquires global clothing brand Forever 21:
- Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail (ABFRL) has stated that it will acquire global clothing brand ’Forever 21’ in the Indian market for USD 26 million (around Rs. 175.52 Crore).
- Forever 21 has a network of more than 700 stores worldwide. Its India operations reported a turnover of 262 crore rupees in 2015-16.
- Birla Fashion executed a business transfer agreement with Diana Retail, Franchise of Forever 21, and DLF Brands for an acquisition of the business undertaking of Diana Retail under the Forever 21 brand. With this, Forever 21 business will form part of ABFRL’s Madura Fashion & Lifestyle division.
11. Annu Rani sets national mark at National Inter-state Athletics Championships:
- Javeline thrower Annu Rani has bettered her national record with a 59.87m throw at the 56th National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championships in Hyderabad.
- She improved her previous meet mark with 59.06m at G.M.C. Balayogi Stadium.
- Earlier, At the 2014 National Inter-State Championship in Lucknow she broke the national record held by Gurmeet Kaur with a throw of 58.83 metres.
12. Bengali actor Jeet acquires Kolkata team of PFL:
- Bengali cine star Jeet has acquired the Kolkata franchise of the first-ever multi-nation Premier Futsal League (PFL), which is scheduled to start on July 15.
- The team will be known as 'Kolkata 5s' as each franchise will be similarly named in the inaugural season.
- The owners will be allowed to rebrand their respective teams from season two.