1. 2nd BRICS Youth Summit concludes in Guwahati:
- The second BRICS Youth Summit was held in Guwahati, Assam from 1st July 2016 to 3rd July 2016.
- The theme of the summit was “Youth as bridge for intra-BRICS exchanges“. The summit was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in presence of Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh.
- The summit focused on enhancing people-to-people contacts of BRICS member states viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- It also adopted the ‘Guwahati BRICS Youth Summit 2016 Call to Action’ and urged the youth from the five member nations to come together for working towards this goal.
2. 1st meeting of BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency begins in Visakhapatnam:
- The first meeting of the BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency began in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The two day conference will be attended by all 5 member BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries. India being BRICS chair for 2016 has organised this event in order to shape and steer the BRICS agenda.
- The Union Power Ministry is hosting the meeting of the Working Group.
- The meeting will deliberate a work plan on development of cooperation in energy saving and energy efficiency with BRICS.
3. Haryana to develop new Industrial Township:
- The Haryana Government announced that it would develop an industrial township in the state at an expense of 5 billion dollar.
- The new industrial township will spread in over 1500 acres of land in Sohna and Manesar areas of Gurgaon.
- For this purpose, the Haryana Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation (HSIIDC) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with China Fortune Land Development (CFLD) Company in New Delhi.
- Under the agreement, HSIIDC and CFLD Company would execute the project as a joint venture (JV).
- The CFLD would develop infrastructural facilities, industrial units and residential and commercial projects in the township.
4. Linda Burney becomes first Indigenous woman elected to Australia's lower house:
- Linda Burney, a former teacher, became the first Indigenous woman elected to the House of Representatives (lower house) of the Parliament of Australia.
- She achieved the fete after claiming victory in the marginal seat of Barton.
- She won the seat as a candidate of the centre-left Labour Party in the national polls.
- With this, she joins first Aboriginal MP Ken Wyatt of the conservative Liberal Party who was elected in 2010. Olympian Nova Peris was the first indigenous woman in the upper house of the Parliament.
- In 2003, Burney (59) became the first woman Aboriginal to enter the New South Wales state parliament.
5. India’s first Commercial Court and Commercial Disputes Resolution Centre inaugurated in Chattisgarh:
- India’s first Commercial Court and Commercial Disputes Resolution Centre was inaugurated at Raipur, capital of Chhattisgarh.
- It was inaugurated by State Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh along with Supreme Court judge Madan B. Lokur.
- The first Commercial Court and Commercial Disputes Resolution Centre complex has ultra-modern facilities like e-Court, e-Library, e-Filing, Video-conferencing and e-Summons.
- It will help in improving the judicial system and the investors and business world.
- It will also facilitate the investors in their commercial dealings.
6. President inaugurates smart village pilot project at Rashtrapati Bhavan:
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated a smart model village pilot project at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- Initially, this initiative will be implemented in five selected villages in Haryana than later on will be spread to the entire country.
- The five villages which will be developed into the smart villages under this pilot project are Dhaula, Alipur, Harichandpur and Taj Nagar from Gurgaon district and Rojka Meo from Mewat district of Haryana.
7. China fits final piece on world's largest radio telescope:
- China has hoisted the final piece into position on what will be the world’s largest radio telescope, which it will use to explore space and help in the hunt for extraterrestrial life.
- The Five Hundred Metre Aperture Spherical Telescope, or Fast, is the size of 30 football fields and has been cut out of a mountain in the south-western province of Guizhou.
- The telescope, which has taken about five years to build, is expected to begin operations in September.
- Advancing China’s space programme is a priority for Beijing, with President Xi Jinping calling for the country to establish itself as a space power.
8. Cyprus set to sign the new tax treaty with India:
- India and Cyprus have agreed to revise their tax treaty under which capital gains tax will be levied on the sale of shares of investments made after April 1, 2017.
- The new Cyprus Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA), which has been agreed upon by both the countries, would provide for source-based taxation of capital gains on transfer of shares.
- The completion of the negotiation on avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion will also pave the way for the removal of Cyprus from the list of ‘Notified Jurisdictional Areas’ retrospectively from November 2013.
9. India set to host South Asian Basketball Qualifiers:
- The South Asian Basketball Association (SABA) Zone Qualifying Round of the FIBA Asia Challenge 2016 will be held from July 6 to 8 at the Sree Kanteerava Indoor Stadium, Bangalore.
- The detailed announcements regarding this regional competition were made by BFI President K Govindaraj at a press conference held at the Karnataka Olympic Association building.
- The three-day competition will be played on a round robin league format. Four South Asian teams - defending champions and hosts India, Nepal, Bangladesh and the island nation of Maldives are in the fray.
10. India to host world’s first MMA League:
- India will be hosting the world’s first Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) ‘Super Fight League’ from August 26 to October 1.
- The franchise-based league will feature eight teams – Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Mumbai, Haryana, Bangalore, Punjab, Pune and Goa.
- The league will be a platform for Indian MMA players like Anup Kumar, CJ Singh, Amit Roy, Dhruv Chaudhary to showcase their skills.
- Each team will constitute nine Indian fighters and three international ones.
11. Michael Cimino, director of film The Deer Hunter, died:
- Michael Cimino, the director of the Vietnam War classic The Deer Hunter, died on 2 July 2016 at his Los Angeles home. He was 77.
- Cimino was best known for directing, producing and co-writing the 1978 Academy Award-winning film The Deer Hunter. The film won five Oscars, including Best Director and Best Picture for Cimino.
- He was also remembered for writing and directing Heaven's Gate, which proved to be a financial failure.
12. Former French Prime Minister Michel Rocard dies:
- Michel Rocard, former Prime Minister of France, passed away on 2 July 2016 in Paris, France. He was 85.
- Rocard served as Prime Minister under President Francois Mitterrand from 1988 to 1991.
13. Lewis Hamilton wins 2016 Austrian Grand Prix:
- Lewis Hamilton won the 2016 Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria.
- It was his third title of the 2016 season after Monaco Grand Prix (May 2016) and Canadian Grand Prix (June 2016).
- Austrian Grand Prix was the ninth race of the 2016 season and was held at the Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria.
14. B Sai Praneeth wins 2016 Canada Open Grand Prix:
- Indian shuttler B Sai Praneeth on 3 July 2016 clinched the Canada Open Grand Prix Badminton Men’s Singles title at Calgary.
- Praneeth defeated Lee Hyun II of Korea 21-12, 21-10.
- On the other hand, men's doubles pair of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy also grabbed Men’s doubles title at the tournament.
- Top seed doubles pair Attri and Reddy defeated Adrian Liu and Toby Ng 21-8 21-14 in a lop-sided final.
- The pair of Attri and Reddy is the first Indian men's doubles pair to qualify for the Rio Olympics.