1. Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale sworn in as Chief Justice of Allahabad HC:
- Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court.
- He succeeds Justice D.Y. Chandrachud who was appointed judge of Supreme Court.
- He was administered oath of office was administered by Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik in Allahabad as per Article 219 of Constitution.
- Prior to his appointment as Chief Justice of Allahabad HC, he was serving as acting chief justice of High Court of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
2. World Day against Trafficking in Persons observes Today:
- The World Day against Trafficking in Persons is observed across the world on 30 July to raise awareness of the plight of victims of human trafficking and to protect their rights.
- Human trafficking is the trade of humans, most commonly for the purpose of forced labour, sexual slavery or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others.
- In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had designated July 30 as the World Day against Trafficking in Persons by adopting resolution A/RES/68/192.
3. Joint Indo-Thailand Military Exercise ‘Maitree’ culminates:
- The Indo-Thailand Military Exercise Maitree concluded on 29 July 2016 at Krabi, Thailand. The exercise had commenced on 15 July 2016 under the aegis of the Royal Thailand Army.
- The aim of the joint exercise was to train contingents of both the armies on conduct of counter terrorist operations in an urban environment.
- The exercise included combined training, familiarization with weapons & equipment used by both the countries.
4. Syed Nayeemuddin conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna:
- The Mohun Bagan FC has conferred club’s highest decoration Mohun Bagan Ratna (jewel) on legendary Indian Footballer Syed Nayeemuddin.
- With this, he became 16th recipient of the prestigious award which is bestowed upon person for making seminal contribution to the success of the club.
- Syed Nayeemuddin is former football player and Indian football team coach.
- The Mohun Bagan Ratna is the highest decoration of Mohun Bagan FC.
- It is awarded annually to respect and laud indispensable contribution of football players to the club.
5. TVSN Prasad committee formed for exploring possible alternatives to Pellet Guns:
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh constituted a seven-member expert committee for exploring possible alternatives to pellet guns as non-lethal weapons.
- The committee will be chaired by Joint Secretary (Police Modernisation) TVSN Prasad. It has been asked to submit its report within two months.
- The committee was constituted to rethink on the use of pellet guns after its use by CRPF for crowd control in Kashmir was blamed for causing fatal injuries and blindness among protestors during the recent unrest.
6. Adman Srinivasan Swamy conferred with AAAI Lifetime Achievement Award:
- The Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI) conferred its Lifetime Achievement Award on famous adman Srinivasan K.Swamy.
- Mr. Swamy is popularly known as Sundar. He is a veteran in the advertising industry and has almost four decades of rich experience.
- Swamy is Chairman of R.K. Swamy Hansa, a diversified marketing communications group.
- He is also the Vice Chairman of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) and a Board Member of the Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- AAAI is the official, national organisation of advertising agencies to promote their interests. It was formed in 1945.
7. Pashudhan Bima Yojana launched in Haryana:
- Haryana Government on 29 July 2016 launched Pashudhan Bima Yojana in Jhajjar. The Yojna was launched by the state’s Animal Husbandry and Dairying Minister, O P Dhankar.
- The Yojna was started in accordance to the recommendations made in Swaminathan Report.
- It will provide insurance cover to cattle breeders in the state at different premium rates for different animals.
- Insurance cover will be provided at a premium of 100 rupees for cows, buffaloes, bulls, camels.
- Insurance cover will be provided at a premium of 25 rupees for sheep, goat and pig for a period of three years.
- The scheme is free of cost for cattle breeders from the scheduled castes.
8. First BRICS Employment Working Group meeting held in Hyderabad:
- The first-ever meeting of BRICS Employment Working Group (BEWG) was held in Hyderabad, Telangana from July 27 to 28, 2016.
- The agenda of the two day meeting was to shape the agenda for labour and employment track in BRICS countries.
- BRICS member countries were able to reach a consensus on employment generation, social security agreement and networking of labour institutes.
- The meeting set the agenda to promote decent work and promote job creation between BRICS countries.
- Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has launched 'Mission Harita Andhra Pradesh'., with the theme 'green cover for a happy living', by planting saplings at Sunkollu village under Nuzividu mandal in Krishna district.
- The objective of the mission is to increase the green cover in the state to 50 % by the year 2029.
- Centre has sanctioned nearly Rs. 620 crore to Uttar Pradesh as assistance for the recent drought situation in the state.
- It also approved almost 80 crores for Rajasthan which was affected by hailstorm and 15 crores to Manipur affected by earthquake.
- A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting in New Delhi chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- An 18-year-old Indian-American girl has become the youngest delegate at the Democratic National Convention which has nominated Hillary Clinton as the party's presidential candidate.
- Sruthi Palaniappan from Cedar Rapids and a student of Harvard University is a strong supporter of Clinton, the first woman to be nominated as a presidential candidate by a major political party.
- Sruthi Palaniapan is a student of the prestigious Harvard University and an ardent supporter of Hilary Clinton, to make her as the first ever woman president of the United States.
- International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has formally suspended an 8-member Russian team from next month's Rio Olympics due to doping offences.
- Last month, IWF Executive Board had decided to suspend for a year national federations that produced three or more doping violations in re-tests from the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games - made possible by improved detection techniques.