1. International Tiger Day being observed today:
- Today, International Tiger Day (29th July) is being celebrated world wide to raise awareness for tiger conservation and to give worldwide attention to the reservation of tigers.
- International Tiger Day was created in 2010 at the St. Petersburg Tiger Summit with the aim to double the Tiger population by 2022.
- According to the World Wildlife Fund and the Global Tiger Forum, the number of wild tigers has gone up to 3,890, from the earlier 2010 estimate of 3200.
- India leads tiger population countries with an estimated population of 2,226.
2. CK Mishra Appointed New Health Secretary:
- CK Mishra, a 1983 batch IAS officer of the Bihar cadre, has been appointed the new Health Secretary.
- Mr. Mishra will replace BP Sharma, who has been appointed secretary, Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
- NS Kang, a 1983 batch IAS officer of the Punjab cadre, associated with the National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) as additional secretary, has been made Secretary and Director General of the organisation after upgradation of his post.
3. 3rd India Education fair begins in Dhaka:
- Today, two-day 3rd India Education Fair has begun in Dhaka .
- Over 35 premier Indian educational institutions including schools, colleges, and technical institutes under one roof to provide educational opportunities to Bangladeshi youth.
- The event has been Inaugurated by Indian High Commissioner Harsh Vardhan Sringla.
- In this fair Bangladeshi students can avail of free career aptitude tests, while some can avail of the scholarships offered to meritorious students by the participating institutions.
- The Fair will move on to the port city of Chittagong for a 2 day event there on August 1st.
4. Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton accepts US presidential nomination:
- Hillary Clinton ( 68-year) accepted the Democratic Party’s nomination for president with a message stressing the need to unite in order to confront the nation’s challenges.
- Clinton is the first woman ever nominated for president by a major US political party.
- She won the nomination after defeating Senator Bernie Sanders, in the state-by-state process of primary and caucus votes.
5. T Nanda Kumar resigns as NDDB chairman:
- T Nanda Kumar has resigned as chairman of Gujarat-based National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) from August 1, about 30 months ahead of the end of his tenure.
- The National Dairy Development Board's creation is rooted in the conviction that our nation's socio-economic progress lies largely on the development of rural India.
6. Railway Board Chairman A K Mittal gets 2-year extension:
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the re-appointment of A K Mittal as Chairman of Railway Board (with effect from August 1, 2016) for a period of two years.
- Mittal is a 1976-batch officer of Indian Railway Stores Service.
- He has worked as Member Staff, Railway Board and ex-officio Secretary to the Government of India.
- The Railway Board is the apex body of the Indian Railways. It reports to the Parliament of India through the Minister of Railways.
7. Government forms 'Disha' for timely implementation of Central Schemes:
- The Centre has announced the formation of District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee (DDCMC) in place of the District Vigilance and Monitoring Committee (DVMC) and to be named Disha for effective implementation of Central government schemes.
- The main purpose of this Disha committee will be to coordinate with Central and state governments and local Panchayats for successful and timely implementation of the schemes. Instruction has been issued to hold the first meeting of DISHA on 13th of next month.
- The meeting of the committee once in every Quarter has been made mandatory.
8. Four new writers get Jananpith ‘Navlekhan’ award:
- Four new writers have got the Bharatiya Jnanpith’s 11th Navlekhan award for the year 2015 .
- Amlendu Tiwari (Parityakt), Balram Kawant (Sara Morila), Om Naagar (Nib Ke Chire Se) and Tasneem Khan (Yeh Mere Rahnuma).
- All awardees were chosen by a selection panel headed by senior writer and journalist Madhusudan Anand, comprising eminent literary figures Vishnu Nagar, Govind Prasad and Om Nischal.
- Amlendu Tiwari and Om Nagar would be given a cash awards of Rs. 50,000 each along with a certificate of merit and an idol of Vagdevi.
- Besides awarding the two, the Bharatiya Jananpith will publish the works of all the four awardees.
9. India and Bangladesh agree on anti-terror cooperation:
- India and Bangladesh have agreed to enhance cooperation on anti-terror efforts with Dhaka saying that New Delhi will be "side-by-side" with it in fighting terrorists. National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrish and Director Generals of Border Security Force and Narcotics Control Bureau participated in the talks.
- Leaders from both the country concurred on the need to immediately operationalise the Agreement on Combating Terrorism and Organised Crime and Illicit Drug Trafficking between the two countries.
10. OKI installs more than 600 recycling ATMs for State Bank of India:
- Japanese payments company OKI has installed 600 ATMs with cash recycling abilities for country's largest lender State Bank of India across the country.
- The payments company OKI has manufacturing of ATM business in India which works with recyclable cash and has both cash acceptance mechanism along with cash dispensing in their teller machines.
- The Japanese company has tied up with SBI decided to procure OKI’s cash recycling ATMs in 2015 and deploy them in four of its designated regions across India.
11. West Bengal tourism department launches app:
- An android mobile app has been launched by West Bangal Tourism Department,aiming to attract the travelers across the world.
- This app is based on the theme of “Experience Bengal“. It would be loaded with facilities like maps and directions.
- The sight would be powered by information on each district of the state and the various places that can be visited and activities that can be taken up.
12. Brazilian scientists discover another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito:
- Brazilian scientists have identified another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito, responsible for over 1,700 cases of microcephaly in newborns in the South American country since October 2015.
- The public Brazilian laboratory Fundacion Oswaldo Cruz (Fiocruz) announced that researchers found the presence of the Culex quinquefasciatus mosquito infected by the Zika virus in three out of 80 groups of mosquitoes analyzed up until now.
13. New Chief Justice of Patna HC sworn in:
- Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- He had worked twice as Acting Chief Justice of Patna HC since December 2014.
- Justice Ansari, the 39th Chief Justice of the Patna HC, would retire on October 29, 2016.
14. A10 Networks acquires cloud firm Appcito:
- US-based A10 Networks, an application networking and security company has announced the acquisition of Appcito.
- Appcito is a provider of Software-As-A-Service (SaaS)-based, multi-cloud Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) solutions.
- The acquisition positions A10 Networks as a comprehensive secure application services leader.
15. Intex Ropes in Madhuri Dixit as Its Brand Ambassador:
- Intex Technologies has announced cine star Madhuri Dixit as Brand Ambassador for its new range of consumer durable products.
- Dixit will endorse the new range of Washing Machines and Refrigerators, which are the latest additions to the already diverse portfolio of Intex's consumer durable products.
- The actor has been signed for a period of two years.
16. Bastian Schweinsteiger retires from international football:
- Germany football captain Bastian Schweinsteiger (31-year) has retired from the international football.
- He plays as a midfielder for English club Manchester United and the German national team.
- He was an instrumental player for Germany when they won the World Cup in 2014 ,scored 24 goals and earned 120 caps for his nation.
- Schweinsteiger made 20 World Cup and 18 European Championship appearances, with his last coming in the Euro 2016 semifinal loss to France.