1. World Hepatitis Day being observed today:
- Today, World Hepatitis Day is being observed world wide to raise global awareness of Hepatitis and encourage prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- The theme of this year is ‘Elimination‘.
- This year sees the first ever World Health Organization’s Global Strategy for Viral Hepatitis, which sets a goal of eliminating viral hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030.
- World Hepatitis Day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the WHO.
- Hepatitis is a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E.
2. Union Cabinet approves Bilateral Investment Treaty between India and Cambodia:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) between India and Cambodia to boost trade and business.
- The Treaty seeks to promote and protect investments in either country with the objective of increasing bilateral investment flows.
- It also seeks to encourage each country to create favorable conditions (climate) for investors of the other country to make investments in its territory and also to admit investments in accordance with its laws.
- This Treaty is the first Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) signed between both countries in accordance with the text of the Indian Model BIT which was approved by the Union Cabinet in December 2015.
3. Haryana govt to set up de-addiction centres in Jails:
- Haryana Government has decided to set up de-addiction centres in the premises of Jails of the State.
- In first phase, such centres would be set up at Central Jail in Hisar and District Jail Rohtak .
- A proposal to this effect has been approved by Chief Minister Manohar Lal.
- The proposal to create 26 new posts of different categories for these two de-addiction centres have also been approved.
4. India signs $1 billion deal with the US for procuring four Poseidon-8I aircraft:
- India has signed a 1 billion dollar deal with US defense and aerospace major Boeing for procuring four long-range maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft, Poseidon-8I.
- The four new P-8I aircraft, with the first to be delivered in 50 months, will join the first eight such aircraft inducted by the Navy from May 2013 to October 2015 under a $2.1 billion deal inked in 2009.
- The contract was inked during the visit of the US Under Secretary for Defence on Acquisition Frank Kendall.
5. RBI imposes Rs 27 crore penalty on 13 banks for FEMA violations:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed 27 crore rupees penalty on 13 public and private sector banks including PNB and HDFC Bank for Foreign Exchange Management (FEMA) Act violations and Know your customer (KYC) lapses.
- RBI asked banks to ensure strict compliance with the guidelines.
- RBI had undertaken a scrutiny on advance import remittances in 21 banks in October and November last year.
- The scrutiny examined the alleged irregularities in opening and monitoring of accounts including violations under FEMA provisions.
6. Lok Sabha passes an amendment to Lokpal Act:
- The Lok Sabha has cleared an amendment to the Lokpal Act giving an indefinite extension to the deadline for assets and liabilities' disclosure by central government employees and management personnel of NGOs.
- A Parliamentary Standing Committee will examine the Act's clause which requires disclosure by such public servants receiving foreign donations over rs. 10 lakh or government aid over rs. 1 crore.
7. ‘East Bengal’ to honour Milkha Singh with Bharat Gaurav award:
- Kolkata’s football club ‘East Bengal‘ has announced, this year’s Bharat Gaurav award to legendary athlete Milkha Singh.
- Singh will be honored with the prestigious award on the East Bengal Foundation Day, 1st of August.
- Along with the award, a cheque of 2 lakh rupees will be presented to him.
- A special awards along with a cash prize of 1 lakh rupees each will be given to East Bengal players Shyam Thapa and Shyamal Ghosh.
- Best footballer of the year award will be given to South Korean midfielder Do Dong Hyun who will receive fifty thousand rupeees.
8. Union Cabinet approves setting up of new AIIMS in Bhatinda:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of a new AIIMS at Bhatinda, Punjab under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
- The new AIIMS at Bhatinda will provide super specialty health care to the population while creating a large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region.
- Besides, the institute will also conduct research on prevalent regional diseases and other health issues and provide for better control and cure of such diseases.
9. Two Ministers inducted in Uttarakhand Cabinet:
- Chief Minister Harish Rawat has inducted two ministers from Garhwal into the State Cabinet of Uttarakhand.
- The new Ministers Nav Prabhat (Vikasnagar) and Rajender Bhandari (Badrinath) were administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor Krishna Kant Paul at a simple function at the Raj Bhawan.
10. Bengaluru to host International Transgender Arts Fest:
- The International Transgender Arts Festival, a performing arts festival for transgenders, is being organized at the National Gallery for Modern Arts in Bengaluru from July 29 to July 31.
- The festival, which is being referred to as "India’s first ever international performing arts festival by artistes from the transgender community", aims to showcase the talent of people from the community.
11. SBI launches debit card-less instant money transfer facility:
- Today, State Bank of India (SBI) has launched a payment system at its ATMs which will allow the account holders to transfer the money by using the mobile phone number as an identifier.
- This payment facility system works on instant money transfer (IMT) platform.
- The IMT is a unique payment system launched by Eempays Payment Systems Pvt Ltd.
- It will enable a payment of up to Rs 10,000 from any SBI bank account and the recipient of this payment can withdraw funds instantly from an IMT-enabled ATM without using a debit card.
12. Union Cabinet increases limit for foreign investment in Stock Exchanges from 5% to 15%:
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for raising foreign shareholding limit from current 5% to 15% in Indian Stock Exchanges.
- The decision brings the investment limit of foreign entities at par with that of domestic institutions. This enhanced limit is for a stock exchange, depository, banking company, insurance company and commodity derivative exchange.
- Additionally, the Union Cabinet also gave its approval for foreign portfolio investors to acquire shares through initial allotment, besides secondary market, in the stock exchanges.
13. The European Union appoints chief Brexit negotiator:
- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has appointed Michel Barnier, a former EU Commissioner for internal markets, to lead negotiations with Britain to leave the European Union.
- Barnier will take up his post on October 1.
- Michel Barnier is a French Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) politician and Vice President of the European People's Party (EPP).
14. Father of Hybrid Sorghum Neelamraju Ganga Prasada Rao passes away:
- Agricultural scientist Neelamraju Ganga Prasada Rao (89-year) has passed away in Hyderabad following a brief illness.
- Rao was well-known for basic and applied research in breeding and agronomy of several dry land crops .
- He earned the title of ‘Father of Hybrid Sorghum’ in India.
- Rao was awarded with the SS Bhatnagar Prize for Biological Sciences for his efforts.
15. Mahasweta Devi passes away:
- Eminent writer and social activist Mahasweta Devi (90-year) has passed away at a private hospital in Kolkata.
- She was a recipient of the Sahitya Akademi Award, Padma Vibhushan, Jnanpith and Magsaysay Award among several others.
- Mahasweta Devi was born in 1926 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. She survived by her daughter-in-law and grandchild.
16. International Olympic Committee to launch Olympic Channel:
- The International Olympic Committee’s new television channel (IOC) will launch after the end of Rio Olympics, 21st August.
- According to the IOC President Thomas Bach the launch of the channel is the start of an exciting new journey to connect the worldwide audience with the Olympic Movement all year round.
- The Olympic Channel platform will be available worldwide via an app for iOS devices and Android as well as on YouTube and social media.
- The Olympic Channel will first be offered in English with an option of subtitles in nine different languages.