1. Kargil Vijay Diwas observed on 26th July:
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is observed on 26th July every year in honour of the Kargil War’s Heroes.
- Today, Defence minister Manohar Parikar and three service chief paid homage to Kargil martyrs at Amar Jawan Jyoti, India Gate in New Delhi.
- On this day in 1999 that the Indian Armed Forces, as part of Operation Vijay, recaptured Indian posts in Kargil which had been occupied by Pakistan’s army.
- The Kargil war was fought for more than 60 days, 527 soldiers from Indian Armed Forces sacrificed their lives during the war.
2. Policy planning dialogue meeting of BRICS has begun today in Patna:
- BRICS policy planning dialogue meeting has begun today in Patna. Delegates of BRICS countries - Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are participating in this meeting.
- The dialogue meeting is being held ahead of the 8th BRICS Summit, which is going to be held in Goa on October 15-16 under the chairmanship of India.
- This year's theme of dialogue is Building responsive, Inclusive and collective solutions. The dialogue will provide an opportunity for exchange on strategic assessments of an internal situation and the regional situation of each country.
- The dialogue will also seek to enhance sharing of best practices in foreign policy planning and assessment between the BRICS countries.
3. Budha Rashmi Mani appointed as DG of National Museum:
- Noted archaeologist Dr. Budha Rashmi Mani has been appointed as Director General (DG) of National Museum.
- He has been appointed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Mani will have tenure of three years or till attainment of age seventy.
- The National Museum was established in 1949 and is located at Janpath, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi.
4. 7th Pay Commission to be implemented from August:
- The Centre has published the implementation notification of the 7th Pay Commission, stating that central government employees will get the revised pay from August.
- As the Commission had recommended a 23.55 percent overall hike in salaries, allowances and pension involving an additional burden of Rs 1.02 lakh crore, or nearly 0.7 percent of GDP.
- The entry-level pay has been recommended to be raised to Rs 18,000 per month, from the current Rs 7,000, while the maximum pay, drawn by the Cabinet Secretary, has been fixed at Rs 2.5 lakh per month from the current Rs 90,000.
- The previous 6th Pay Commission had recommended a 20 percent hike which the government doubled while implementing it in 2008.
5. Karnataka opens dedicated start-up cell:
- The Government of Karnataka has set-up a dedicated start-up cell for speeding up the implementation of the initiatives under its start-up policy.
- This is the first time in India that a government has come up with a dedicated Start-up Cell guided by the Start-up Policy, which envisages the growth of 20,000 new start-ups, including 6,000 product start-ups, by 2020 in Karnataka.
- A portal was also launched to enable and educate start-ups on the State government’s policies and provide access to various benefits under the policy. All technology-based start-ups that fall under the criteria listed by the State government can register with the portal.
6. IRCTC offers Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for passengers:
- Booking tickets of Indian railway through the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website can avail a travel accident cover of 10 lakh rupees at a premium of one rupee from September 2016.
- According to the IRCTC Chairman-cum-Managing Director AK Manocha the insurance cover is besides the compensation given by the Railways in case of accidents to valid ticket holders.
- The insurance will provide coverage against death, injury and disabilities caused due to accidents.
7. Oldest elephant in Kerala set to enter Guinness World Records:
- Dakshayani, 86, is all set to enter the Guinness World Records as the oldest living elephant.
- The Travancore Devasom Board (TDB) - the owner of the elephant - has already written to the Guinness authorities staking claim to Dakshayani being the oldest living elephant in the world.
- The TDB claims that Dakshayani is with them since 1949.
8. Solar Impulse completes historic round-the-world trip:
- The Solar Impulse has become the first aircraft to circle the globe powered by the sun, after landing in Abu Dhabi on the last leg of its journey, where it first took off on an epic 25,000-mile (40,000-kilometer) journey that began more than a year ago.
- Since its March 2015 take off, the Swiss-engineered Solar Impulse has made 16 stops across the world without using a drop of fuel to demonstrate that using the plane's clean technologies on the ground can halve the world's energy consumption, save natural resources and improve the quality of life.
- The journey took in four continents, three seas, and two oceans. The longest leg, an 8,924km (5,545-mile) flight from Nagoya in Japan to Hawaii, US, lasted nearly 118 hours and saw Mr. Borschberg break the world record for longest uninterrupted solo flight.
9. Vodafone M-Pesa ties up with Punjab power utility:
- Vodafone M-Pesa, a mobile phone-based money transfer service, has tied up with Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) to enable consumers pay their electricity bills instantly.
- Vodafone M-Pesa offers customers a cashless, secure platform for electricity bill payments with the largest network of agents (or CashIn Points) to enable digitization of money for cash holding population.
- M-Pesa is a mobile phone-based money transfer, financing and microfinancing service, launched in 2007 by Vodafone. M-Pesa allows users to deposit, withdraw, transfer money and pay for goods and services (Lipa Na M-Pesa) easily with a mobile device.
10. Flipkart’s Myntra acquires Jabong $70 million:
- Indian e-commerce company Flipkart Ltd has acquired Jabong through its unit Myntra in a cut-price deal that values the online fashion store at $70 million.
- Jabong is an Indian fashion and lifestyle e-commerce portal founded by Praveen Sinha,Lakshmi Potluri,Arun Chandra Mohan.
- Jabong portal sells apparel, footwear, fashion accessories, beauty products, fragrances, home accessories and other fashion and lifestyle products.
- In May 2014, Myntra.com merged with Flipkart to compete against Amazon which entered the Indian market in June 2013.
11. Hinduja National Power commissions 1,040 MW thermal power project in Visakhapatnam:
- Part of the Hinduja Group, Hinduja National Power Corporation Limited (HNPCL) has commissioned its 1,040 MW coal fired thermal power project on the coast of Bay of Bengal at Palavalasa village in the Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh.
- The company has commissioned 2x520 MW thermal power plants and expects it to cater to the increasing demand for electricity in Andhra Pradesh, which has become the first southern State to become power surplus.
- Andhra Pradesh is implementing 24X7 “Power for All Scheme.” The State had initiated the power sector reforms in 1998 and now has a total installed capacity is 15,311 MW. It is aiming at achieving 29,000 megawatts installed capacity by 2019.
12. Ravichandran Ashwin becomes No 1 Test bowler:
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has become the number one Test bowler again, after taking 7 wickets in the 1st Test against West Indies.
- He has returned to the top of the charts by replacing Pakistani leg spinner Yasir Shah.
- Earlier, Yasir Shah had grabbed the number-one ranking for bowlers only last week with a 10-wicket haul in the first Test against England.
- He moved one spot to achieve 876 rating points while Yasir slipped 4 positions.