1. Kerala Government launches first ever Water Metro project in the country:
- Kerala Government has launched Kochi Water Metro project, the first ever Water Metro project in the country.
- It was launched by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan at Kochi.
- The project aims to provide water connectivity to people living between islands in the Kochi agglomeration area and the city.
- The project will implemented by the Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL). It will be built at an estimated cost of seven hundred and forty seven crores Rupees.
- The project is funded by German Development Bank (Kfw). In this regard KMRL has signed agreement with Kfw.
- The Water Metro will connect the islands spread across Kochi backwaters to main city.
2. Rs 2,048 crore approves under 'Swadesh Darshan' scheme:
- The Tourism Ministry has sanctioned 25 projects worth Rs 2,048 crore for 21 states and Union Territories under 'Swadesh Darshan' since January last year, when the scheme was launched.
- Of the sanctioned amount, about Rs 403 crore has been released to the states and UTs for projects which have been approved, an official release said.
- The states and UTs for which the projects have been sanctioned under the scheme include Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Maharashtra.
3. Lewis Hamilton wins Hungarian Grand Prix:
- Triple Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton won the Hungarian Grand Prix for Mercedes on Sunday to take the lead in the championship from team mate Nico Rosberg for the first time this season.
- Rosberg, who started on pole position but is now six points behind the Briton after 11 of the 21 races, finished second with Australian Daniel Ricciardo third for Red Bull.
- The win was Hamilton's fifth in Hungary, the most by any driver.
4. Neeraj Chopra becomes 1st Indian to set world record in Jr athletics Championship:
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra (18) has created history by becoming first Indian Junior athlete to create a World Record in Junior athletics Championship.
- He achieved this feat, by throwing javelin at a record distance of 86.48 m in his second attempt in the IAAF Under-20 World Athletics Championship held in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
- He won gold medal in this event. Besides, South African Johan Grobler (80.59m) won the silver medal and Anderson Peters (79.65m) of Granada won the bronze medal. With this, Neeraj Chopra broke the previous record of 84.69 metres held by Latvian Zigismunds Sirmais by nearly two metres.
5. Motorcycle rally ‘Ride for Accessibility’ flagged off in Delhi:
- A motorcycle rally named Ride for Accessibility was organized in the national capital today with a message to empower differently abled persons, Divyangs.
- The rally which saw 500 young men and women motorcycle riders was flagged off at India Gate by Human Resources Development Minister Prakash Javadekar, Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan and Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot.
- Accessible India Campaign also known as Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan is aimed at creating universal accessibility in built environment, public transportation and Information and Communication Technology eco-system for Divyangs.
6. Maharashtra CM launches pilot project of e-complaint system:
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has launched a pilot project of e-complaint system on an experimental basis in Pune. After the pilot project, the system will be launched across the state within 8 months.
- It has been launched during the concluding ceremony of 14th Maharashtra Police Duty Meet at SRPF ground at Ramtekdi.
- Citizens can now register a police complaint online at any city police station from anywhere. As per current laws, FIRs have to be registered at the police station only.
- Also, a new SMS gateway has been launched wherein people get an acknowledgment of the FIR on the phone through a system generated SMS, and also when accused are arrested, charge sheet/final report submitted to the court.
7. Annual electronic music festival Tomorrowland begins in Belgium:
- One of the biggest electronic music festivals Tomorrowland began on 22 July 2016 in Boom, Belgium.
- The year 2016 also marks Tomorrowland 10th edition.
- More than 350000 tickets for the festival were sold out in an hour of their opening in February 2016.
- Tomorrowland is one of the biggest electronic music festivals held in the world.
- The first edition of the festival took place on 14 August 2005, which was organised by ID&T Belgium.
8. Brahmaputra Valley Film Festival 2016 begins in Guwahati:
- The fourth edition of the Brahmaputra Valley Film Festival commenced on 22 July 2016 in Guwahati, Assam.
- The festival pays homage to the rich culture of northeast India and is dedicated to the film fraternity of the region.
- Six short films and six full-length films from northeast states like Manipur, Assam, Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh will be presented at the three-day fest.
- The festival is organised by Tattva Creations.
- The aim of the Brahmaputra Valley Film Festival is to bridge the gap by bringing engaging storytellers from within and outside the region under one roof.
9. Singer Bapi Lahiri honoured with Mahanayak award by West Bengal Govt.:
- Renowned Music Director and singer Bapi Lahiri was honoured with Mahanayak award by the West Bengal Government.
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee conferred the Mahanayak Samman upon Bapi Lahiri on the occasion of 36th death anniversary of Uttam Kumar.
- In addition, Bengali films “Bela sheshe” and “Shankhachil” were jointly awarded as the best Bengali films of the year.
10. HDFC ERGO enters into bancassurance tie-up with SVC Bank:
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company and Shamrao Vithal Co-operative (SVC) Bank have announced their bancassurance agency partnership to provide a range of non-life insurance offerings to the customers of the bank.
- The partnership combines HDFC ERGO’s experience in introducing innovative non-life insurance products with SVC Bank’s customer base across various States.
- New Delhi-headquartered SVC Bank has 194 branches in 10 States including Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Goa, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Haryana. While HDFC ERGO has headquartered in Mumbai, India and operates in 89 Indian cities with over 109 branches and 1,900 staff members across the country.
11. First green rail corridor opens in Tamil Nadu:
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has inaugurated 114-km long Rameswaram-Mana Madurai route as the country's first green rail corridor with zero toilet discharge section.
- Accordingly, 10 passenger trains consisting of 286 coaches moving in the section have been provided with bio-toilets enabling the rail corridor free from the discharge of human waste on the track.
- Stepping up the Swachh Bharat drive launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Railways have taken up a mammoth task of providing human waste discharge free bio-toilets in all its coaches and the same would be completed by September 2019.
12. DD News correspondent Sanjiv Thomas passes away:
- Eminent Journalist and Doordarshan News Correspondent , Sanjiv Thomas has passed away in Hyderabad. He was 59 years old.
- He quite his carrier as Research Associate in the ISRO, Ahmedabad in 1985 to join Doordarshan Hyderabad Kendra initially as a Research Officer. He began serving the Public Broadcaster as a News Correspondent since 1986.
- During his long stint with Doordarshan, he gave insights into it viewers about innumerable political, social and economic developments of International, national and regional importance.
- He is well known for his objective stand and unparalleled comment over the political and social developments of the region which he served for over 3 decades.