1. India ranks 110th on Sustainable Development index:
- In Sustainable Development index, India has ranked 110 out of 149 nations on where they stand with regard to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- India ranks 110th on the list is followed by Lesotho on 113th position, Pakistan (115), Myanmar (117), Bangladesh (118) and Afghanistan (139).
- The index is topped by the Sweden followed by Denmark and Norway on the top three performing countries respectively. However, in the latest index the Central African Republic and Liberia are at the bottom of the Index while the US ranks 25th in the index and Russia 47th.
- The index is formed by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the Bertelsmann Stiftung. The aim of creating this index is to provide a report card for tracking Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) progress and ensuring accountability.
2. Govt. appoints Ajay Bhushan Pandey UIDAI CEO:
- Union Government has promoted director general and mission director of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) Ajay Bhushan Pandey as its chief executive officer (CEO).
- Pandey is a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service officer of Maharashtra cadre.He has been serving as Director General of the UIDAI since August 2015.
- Under Pandey’s tenure, UIDAI will have to deal with the legal cases involving privacy and parliamentary issues that Aadhaar has been embroiled in.
3. Odisha govt forms judicial panel for reforms in Jagannath temple management:
- The Odisha government has constituted a judicial commission to study the functioning of the Puri Jagannath Temple.
- The one-man commission, headed by retired Orissa High Court judge Bimal Prasad Das will recommend reforms for smooth management of the Shree Jagannath Temple and propagation of the Jagannath culture.
- The government has not set any deadline for the commission to complete its report.
- The major issues the commission will cover are temple security, behaviour of priests, streamlining of rituals and preservation of the 12th century shrine.
4. A Film festival on Mother Teresa in India and abroad:
- The Mother Teresa International Film Festival (MTIFF), a film festival focusing on Mother Teresa's life and teachings is going to be held at over 100 locations in India and around 50 other countries.
- The festival will be kicked off from Kolkata on August 26 after which it will travel all over the world for the next six months. It will be organized by the World Catholic Association for Communication.
- The objective is to spread the message of Mother Teresa before the world.
5. Centre forms panel to prepare draft bill on Ganga river:
- Centre has constituted a committee to prepare Draft Bill on Ganga to deal with all the issues related to the River.
- The Act should have provisions to ensure cleanliness and uninterrupted e-flow of Ganga.
- Justice Girdhar Malviya (Retd.) will be the Chairman of the committee.
- The committee will submit its report within three months.
- The legislation will have provisions to ensure cleanliness and uninterrupted flow of Ganga.
6. Corp Bank launches ‘Green PIN’ facility:
- Corporation Bank has launched a new facility called ‘Green PIN’.
- This is an online module for generation of Personal Identification Number (PIN) for credit card holders.
- The facility enables credit card users to generate PIN online. PIN is compulsory for all point-of-sale (POS) terminal transactions at a merchant establishment.
- SK Roy, Chairman of LIC of India, launched the facility.
7. Kerala Tourism has secured 2 Gold Awards at PATA awards:
- Kerala Tourism has secured two Gold Awards at the prestigious Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) awards in recognition of its trendsetting marketing initiatives.
- The two gold medals for ‘Marketing Media‘ are in the categories of ‘Travel Advertisement Broadcast Media‘ and ‘E-Newsletter‘, which were clinched by the successful ‘Visit Kerala‘ television commercial campaign and the popular Kerala Tourism E-Newsletter respectively.
- The awards will be presented at the PATA Gold Awards Luncheon and Presentation on September 9 in Jakarta.
- This year’s awards attracted 212 entries from 71 organizations and individuals worldwide.
- Kerala Tourism has awarded the PATA Gold in the Heritage and Culture category for the Muziris Heritage Project.
8. Kerala Government constitutes State Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation:
- The Kerala State Government has constituted a State Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (STAGI) on the lines of the National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (NTAGI).
- The Group will advise the State government on the policies and practices to be adopted and implemented under the National Immunisation Programme.
- The group will provide technical and academic inputs and leadership in the State’s immunization efforts.
- It will have the Director of Health Service as the chairman and the Director of Medical Education as co-chairman. Apart from the chairman and the co-chairman, it will have eleven members.
9. Fox News CEO Roger Ailes resigns:
- Roger Ailes, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox News Channel has resigned from his post.
- He will be succeeded by Rupert Murdoch, Head of parent company 21st Century Fox and Founder of the empire that includes Fox.
- However, Ailes will continue to serve as an informal adviser to Rupert Murdoch.
10. Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud passes away:
- French cyclist Dominique Arnaud (60-year) has passed away due to cancer in Dax, Aquitaine, France .
- He rode in eleven editions of the Tour de France, which is an annual multiple stage bicycle race primarily held in France.
- He won three stages in the Vuelta and a stage in the Midi Libr.
- He also won Tour du Limousin in 1983, which is a 4-day road bicycle race held annually in Limousin, France.
11. Sony Pictures Networks bags broadcast right of International Champions:
- Sony Pictures Networks India has acquired the exclusive broadcast rights to telecast the 2016 edition of the International Champions Cup (football) in India.
- The matches this year will be held across North America, Europe, Australia, and China, and will see 17 of the top clubs from across the world participating in the highly anticipated season opening tournament.
- The International Champions Cup will begin from July 22 and will run through August 13, 2016, and will be telecast live and exclusive on Sony Espn and Sony Espn HD channels.
- The tournament will also be streamed live on the SonyLiv app.