1. 3,049 people perform largest Karma dance in Madhya Pradesh:
- 3,049 people registered their spot in the Guinness book of world records for performing largest Karma Naach dance ever in Mandla,Madhya Pradesh.
- The people took part in the dance to celebrate the culture and history of the Gond tribes of central India. Organised by district administration association, the participants formed 61 large circles of 50 people and performed the traditional tribal dance in spectacular synchronicity.
- In accordance with the Guinness World Records guidelines, the choreographed Karma Naach dance continued for a minimum of five minutes.
2. Union Government launches Vidyanjali Mobile App:
- The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) launched the Vidyanjali Mobile App that can be used by anyone to register for volunteer work at government schools.
- Vidyanjali initiative is in line with the Union HRD Ministry's ongoing efforts under Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat.
- Vidyanjali is being launched in pilot phase across 2200 schools in 21 states by HRD Minister.
- Volunteers can easily register for Vidyanjali by logging on to the MyGov website or app @mygovindia.
3. Railways flags off 1st time-tabled freight train:
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has flagged off India's first timetabled freight train, named "Cargo Express", from Delhi to Bengaluru.
- The move aims to reduce the delay and uncertainty over the time schedule for delivery of goods.
- Earlier, passenger trains in the country used to get preference over goods trains for transportation across busy routes.
4. Russia launches most powerful nuclear icebreaker 'Arktika':
- Russia launched the new Project 22220 nuclear icebreaker dubbed 'Arktika'. It was launched from the Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg – the second largest city of Russia.
- Project 22220 is the world’s largest and most powerful vessel of its kind and it has been built at the Baltic Shipyard of the United Shipbuilding Corporation of Russia.
- The vessel is 189.5 yards long and 37.1 yards wide.
- It displaces 33540 metric tons and is fitted with two specifically designed RITM-200 nuclear power reactors.
- It is the first Russian nuclear icebreaker to be fully built in modern-day Russia.
- It will be able to escort convoys in Arctic and can break ice up to almost 10 feet (3 meter) thick.
5. Uber enters into pact with Tata group:
- Uber has entered into an agreement with Tata group to help its drivers own Indica and Indigo cars with less hassle.
- While Tata Capital Financial Services and Tata Motors Finance will offer loans at "competitive'’ interest rates, ‘affordable’ insurance would be offered by Tata AIG as a package.
- But initially, the pact will only be valid for Hyderabad city then later it will be rolled out in other cities also.
6. Anne Hathaway appointed as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador:
- The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women appointed Hollywood acto Anne Hathaway as global Goodwill Ambassador.
- The Academy Award-winning actor will advocate for the adoption and implementation of policies worldwide to bring change at both government and corporate levels.
- Hathaway has previously served as an advocate for Nike Foundation.
7. Diabetes specialist Shashank S Shah won Vivian Fonseca Scholar Award 2016:
- Pune-based diabetes specialist Shashank S Shah was conferred with the Vivian Fonseca Scholar Award 2016.
- He was selected for his research titled Gastric Bypass vs. Medical/Lifestyle Care for Type 2 Diabetes in South Asia with BMI 25-40 kg/m2 — The COSMID Randomised. It is one of the pioneering bariatric surgeons in India and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in Asia.
- He was awarded at the ADA’s 76th Scientific Sessions from 10 June to 14 June 2016 in New Orleans.
- The award was given by American Diabetes Association (ADA) for his pioneering research on diabetes in South Asia.
8. Karnataka Bank gets award:
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has bagged CFBP (Council for Fair Business Practices) Jamnalal Bajaj award for fair business practices.
- The bank has been awarded under the ‘service enterprises – large’ category.
- Mahabaleshwara MS, Chief General Manager of the bank, received the award from Ajay Piramal, Chairman of Piramal Group, in Mumbai.
9. Supriya Sahu appointed as Director General of Doordarshan:
- Senior IAS officer Supriya Sahu was appointed as Director General of Doordarshan . She will be the full-time director general of the state-run broadcaster after two year as the post was lying vacant since July 2014.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved to appoint Sahu for the post.
- She would replace Aparna Vaish who was acting head of Doordharsan. She was appointed after the board decided to appoint the senior-most additional director general (ADG) at Doordarshan.
- She is a 1991 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer.
10. Margaret Atwood awarded 2016 PEN Pinter Prize:
- Canadian poet, novelist and environmental activist Margaret Atwood was awarded the 2016 PEN Pinter Prize.
- Atwood will receive her award at a public event at the British Library on 13 October 2016.
- She was chosen by judges Vicky Featherstone, Zia Haider Rahman, Peter Stothard, Antonia Fraser and President of English PEN and Chair of Judges, Maureen Freely. She has also been shortlisted for the Booker Prize five times, winning once for her novel The Blind Assassin.
11. 'A new world' - the Official slogan for Rio Olympics:
- The Rio 2016 organising committee revealed the official slogan for the first Olympic and Paralympic Games in South America – "A new world" – while also unveiling the medals, 52 days from the start of the quadrennial extravaganza.
- For Rio 2016, the core values of the slogan and the manifesto are unity, respect for diversity and the will for change.
12. Famous TV actress Ann Morgan Guilbert Passed away:
- Famous Television actress Ann Morgan Guilbert died on 16 June 2016 after battling with cancer. She was 87.
- She was best known for her five-season run on classic sitcom Dick Van Dyke Show.