1. India signs two MoUs with Namibia on capacity building for civil servants:
- India and Namibia signed two Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) on capacity building for civil servants of Namibia and to set up of centre of excellence in Information and Communications Technology (ICT).
- The agreements were signed after a dialogue between President Pranab Mukherjee and his Namibian counterpart Hage Geingob.
- Namibia is committed to honour the deal signed with India in 2009 to supply Uranium for civil use.
- Namibia is the fourth largest producer of uranium and assured India that it study the framework New Delhi has signed with 12 other countries including UK, US, Australia, Sri Lanka, France and South Korea besides others.
2. Kerala Tourism bags four awards at 'FilmAT' International Film Festival:
- Kerala Tourism won four awards at ‘FilmAT’ which is one of the biggest international film festivals dedicated to tourism, art and ecology in Poland.
- Three of the honours were given to a single campaign "Responsible Tourism".
- "Responsible Tourism" initiative started by Kerala Tourism won three awards under categories of the Best Promotional Social Campaign, Protection of Nature, and Eco-Food categories respectively.
- The tourism board's ad film "The Great Backwaters of Kerala" won the Best Editing Award.
3. Union Government notified 10 coastal police stations:
- Union Home Ministry on 16 June 2016 notified 10 coastal police stations extending their jurisdictional limits from the existing 12 nautical miles to 200 nautical miles. The notified 10 police stations share the coastline in eight States.
- The new coastal police stations are proposed to maintain security up to five nautical miles from the shore.
- After the 26/11 terror attacks, the Coast Guard was given responsibility to secure the territorial waters which are extending up to 12 nautical miles (about 22 kilometres) from the shore.
4. SpaceX successfully launches two commercial satellites:
- United State based private space transport service company SpaceX successfully launched two commercial satellites viz. EUTELSAT 117 West B and ABS-2A.
- They were launched using SpaceX’s reusable Falcon 9 rocket which had lifted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, US. This mission was SpaceX’s second dual-satellite launch.
- These two commercial satellites are operated by Eutelsat and ABS companies respectively.
- However in this mission, the reusable rocket was lost before it could land on a drone ship platform in the Atlantic Ocean.
5. Microsoft & AICTE signed agreement to build app for HRD ministry's SWAYAM platform:
- The platform will launch 2000 Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) for over three crore students in 2016.
- Microsoft signed a deal of 38 crore rupees with All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) to build and run the app for three years. Later, it will be taken over by AICTE.
- University Grants Commission (UGC) Regulation, 2016 was finalized in a credit framework for online learning courses through SWAYAM.
- According to the regulation, the partner institutions which are identified by the National MOOCs coordinator will make the online courses available on SWAYAM platform.
6. Rio declares financial crisis:
- Rio de Janeiro's governor declared a state of financial emergency and requested federal funds to help fulfill obligations for public services during the Olympics that start Aug. 5.
- Rio is expecting about 500,000 foreign visitors during the Olympics, which has coincided with Brazil's worst recession since the 1930s and a political crisis that last month led to the suspension of President Dilma Rousseff.
- The budget deficit expected in the state of Rio is over 19 billion reais ($5.56 billion) because the spending that was decided before the prices of the oil lowered, outran the revenue that is collapsing during the recession of Brazil.
7. First batch of three female fighter pilots commissioned:
- Creating history, the first batch of three female pilots - Avani Chaturvedi, Bhawana Kanth and Mohana Singh were inducted in Indian Air Force fighter squadron.
- On successful completion of their training, the trio were formally commissioned by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
- Ms. Avani from Satna in Madhya Pradesh, Ms. Mohana Singh from Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan and Ms. Bhawana Kanth, who hails from Darbhanga in Bihar.
8. NRIs can now join NPS online through eNPS:
- The Union Finance Ministry has announced that non-resident Indians (NRIs) can now open National Pension Savings (NPS) accounts online i.e. through eNPS if they have Aadhaar Card or Permanent Account Number (PAN) card.
- Earlier, NRIs could open NPS accounts only through paper based applications by approaching Bank offices.
- NPS are being regulated by the PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority), a regulator established by the Finance Ministry.
- Through eNPS, NRI’s will be able to open NPS accounts both on repatriable and on non-repatriable basis.
9. India, South Korea launch platform to promote investments:
- India and South Korea today launched a platform to promote and facilitate investments from the east Asian country.
- The platform 'Korea Plus' was launched by Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her South Korean counterpart Joo Hyunghwan in New Delhi.
- As per the industry ministry, it is a special initiative to promote and facilitate Korean Investments in India. Korea Plus comprises a representative each from the South Korean Ministry of Industry, Trade and Energy and Korea Trade Investment and Promotion Agency (KOTRA).