1. RBI announced 2nd Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement:
- Reserve Bank of India's Governor Raghuram Rajan has announced the Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement for the year 2016-17.
- Mr. Rajan, keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.5%, reverse repo rate stays at 6.0 %, and CRR remains at 4%. While, LAF will also remain unchanged at 6.0 %, and the MSF rate and the Bank Rate at 7.0 %.
- In its second bi-monthly policy review for the current fiscal, RBI maintained status quo on interest rate, while pegging economic growth at 7.6 percent and retail inflation target at 5 percent for January 2017.
- Latest official data showed India was one of the world's fastest growing economies in the March quarter, with GDP growing at a rate of 7.9%.
2. Govt, ADB sign $120 mn loan agreement for Odisha:
- The government and multilateral lending agency Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a $120 million loan agreement to improve irrigation and water management infrastructure in Odisha.
- The loan is the second tranche of a $157.5 million financing facility and will result in improved irrigation facilities in 1,00,000 hectares.
3. Dia Mirza named ambassador for "swachh saathi" programme:
- Bollywood actress and producer Dia Mirza (34-year) has been named the ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission’s youth-based Swachh Saathi (student internship) programme.
- Dia has been selected because she is a youth icon and has been an active campaigner for Swachh Bharat.
4. Kulmeet Bawa appointed Adobe MD for South Asia:
- Adobe on 6 June 2016 announced the appointment of Kulmeet Bawa as Managing Director (MD) for South Asia. He will begin his new role on 24 June 2016.
- Bawa will take over the position from Umang Bedi, who is leaving the company after five years of service.
- Adobe Systems Incorporated is an American multinational computer software company.
5. Bihar CM launches right to public grievance redressal act:
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has launched Right to Public Grievance Redressal Act.
- The act seeks disposal of peoples’ complaints or redressal of grievances from Government officials within 60-days.
- The law has strict provisions in non-compliance of applications.
- Officials not adhering to provisions of the law could be dismissed from service or face a penalty of from 500 rupees to 5000 rupees.
- All the 42 Departments of the State government will be covered under the new Act.
6. Walmart retains top position in Fortune 500 list:
- In 2016 rankings, Walmart has topped the Fortune 500 list for the fourth consecutive year.
- Rounding out the top 10 in the 62nd annual rankings, based on total revenues for their fiscal years- ExxonMobil, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway, McKesson, UnitedHealth Group, CVS Health,General Motors, Ford Motor and AT&T.
- Apple, which was the most profitable company on the list, with $53 billion in profits, was among companies making big moves this year, jumping to No. 3 from No. 5 last year.
7. Facebook Appoints Former Adobe Executive Umang Bedi As India MD:
- Facebook India has appointed Umang Bedi as managing director.
- He will take over from Kirthiga Reddy, who will be returning to the US to take on a new role at the company’s Menlo Park headquarters.
- Prior to joining Facebook, he was the managing director, South Asia, at Adobe.
8. Rajiv Gauba Committee on Decongestion of Traffic in Delhi submitted report:
- The Rajiv Gauba Committee on Decongestion of Traffic in Delhi on 5 June 2016 submitted its report to the Union Ministry of Urban Development.
- To ensure a safe, sustainable, affordable, equitable, comfortable, accessible and environmental friendly public transport system in the city, the Committee recommended a 4-pronged strategy with the components of -
ii. Promoting Road Safety and efficient Traffic Management.
iii. Setting up Unified Metropolitan Transport Authority and enhancing institutional capacity.
iv. Promotion of Transit Oriented Development through integrated land use and transportation planning.
9. Rajasthan Government launches Mobile App RajVayu on Air Quality Index:
- Rajasthan Government has launched mobile application RajVayu for sharing information about air quality index of Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodhpur.
- The app was launched by Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje on the eve of World Environment Day.
- The information provided on RajVayu app is based on the data collected by sophisticated air quality monitoring equipment and weather sensors.
- The app has been designed by Rajasthan State Pollution Control Board (RSPCB) jointly with Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM).
- With this, Rajasthan became the first state in the country to launch such app for sharing information about air quality index of cities.
10. Himachal Pradesh becomes first state to launch green-concept based State Data Centre:
- Himachal Pradesh became the first state in the country to have a State Data Centre (SDC), designed using green data centre concept to minimize power requirement and increase power utilization efficiency.
- The centre will offer 101 people-oriented services online through an integrated data base. It would help in saving time and money spent on creation of infrastructure as all services would be provided online in digital format thus, giving boost to paperless governance.
11. Guwahati declares Gangetic River Dolphin as its city animal:
- Guwahati has become the first city in the country to have its own 'city animal' with Kamrup metropolitan district administration declaring Gangetic River Dolphin as its mascot.
- Gangetic River Dolphin is locally known as 'Sihu' which remains in the River Brahmaputra along Guwahati.
- The district administration had organised online and off-line voting among three protected creatures to decide the 'city animal'.
- These three creatures are Gangetic River Dolphin, Black Softshell Turtle (Bor Kaso) and Greater Adjutant Stork (Hargila) and are on the verge of extinction.