1. AIIB approves first loans for projects in four countries:
- The China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved first set of loans totalling US 509 million dollars to finance projects in four countries viz. Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia and Tajikistan.
- These loans for the four projects were approved in Board of Directors meeting of AIIB held at its headquarters in Beijing, China.
- These loans will have an interest rate of London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) plus 1.15 % and a repayment period of 25 years with 5 years in grace period.
- These projects spanning in the energy, transport and urban development sectors will help to bridge the region’s critical infrastructure financing gap. It will also help to strengthen regional connectivity.
2. India became the 35th full member of Missile Technology Control Regime:
- India has joined the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) today as a full member. This entry would be mutually beneficial to enhance global non-proliferation norms.
- The document for this has been signed by Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar in the presence of Ambassadors of France, Netherlands and Luxembourg in Seoul, South Korea.
- India's entry into the regime as its thirty-fifth member will enable India to buy high-end missile technology and also enhance its joint ventures with Russia.
- The aim of the MTCR is to restrict the proliferation of missiles, complete rocket systems, unmanned air vehicles and related technology for those systems capable of carrying a 500-kilogram payload for at least 300 kilometers, as well as systems intended for the delivery of weapons of mass destruction.
3. Expanded Panama Canal reopens after 9 years of work:
- Newly renovated and expanded Panama Canal reopened for bigger business on 26 June 2016.
- The first ship to cross the canal using the third set of locks was a modern New Panamax vessel, the Chinese-owned container ship Cosco Shipping Panama.
- The 5.25 billion US dollar project was unveiled nearly two years late after construction delays, labour strife and apparent cost overruns.
- The project is expected to create demand for ports to handle New Panamax ships.
- The Panama Canal expansion project is also called as the Third Set of Locks Project.
4. Union HM Rajnath Singh inagurates 22nd meeting of Eastern Zonal Council at Ranchi:
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the 22nd meeting of the Eastern Zonal Council at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- Chief Ministers of Jharkhand Raghuwar Das and of Bihar, Nitish Kumar, along with other Ministers and very senior officers from various Ministries of the Central Government, and governments of Jharkhand, Bihar, Odisha and West Bengal are taking part in the meeting. While the meeting is chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The meeting started with the review of the progress of implementation of the recommendations made by last year Eastern Zonal Council of 2015 that was held at Patna. In today's meeting, there are altogether 19 agenda points sponsored by participating four states, besides 10 Revised Agenda Points.
5. Union Rural Development Ministry, ISRO ink MoU for geo-tagging MGNREGA assets:
- The Union Rural Development Ministry and ISRO, Department of Space have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for geo-tagging the assets created under MGNREGA in each gram panchayat. Annually around 30 lakh assets are created under the rural job schemes across the country.
- The MoU was signed after the Ministry had decided that the geo-tagging of such assets will be done on a mission mode to monitor rural development.
- The asset created under MGNREGA and other schemes will be completely geo-tagged with photograph through Bhuvan Mobile Platform by Gram Rozgar Sahayak or Junior engineer.
- The geo-tagging of assets will help to check and curb leakages and for effective mapping of terrain for future developmental works.
- It will also help in using of modern space technology for rural development in planning and execution of projects in a transparent manner.
6. Veteran Malayalam theatre artist Kavalam Narayana Panicker has passed away:
- Veteran Malayalam theatre artist and poet Kavalam Narayana Panicker has passed away in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 88 years old.
- Mr. Narayana has started his career as a lawyer in 1955. He has written over 26 Malayalam plays, many adapted from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare such as Avanavan Kadamba, Daivathar, Kaikkuttappad, Ottayaan etc.
- In 1961, he was nominated as Secretary of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi.
- Mr. Kavalam Narayan was honored with the Padma Bhushan in 2007 and in 1983, he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction while in 2002, he was honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship.
7. N Srinivasan re-elected President of Tamil Nadu Cricket Association:
- Former BCCI chief N Srinivasan was unanimously re-elected as President of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) for a 15th consecutive term.
8. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar awarded Honorary Fellowship in UK:
- National Indian Students and Alumni Union (NISAU) have awarded Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar with an Honorary Fellowship in the UK for his contributions to world peace and culture.
- As per NISAU statement, the organization is proud to honour Sri Sri Ravi Shankar for his immense contribution to furthering world peace & working towards a violence-free society, for his social and cultural contributions to India and for furthering Yoga, Meditation and Spiritual Studies in a global context.
- National Indian Students and Alumni Union UK is the umbrella organization representing the students and alumni of Indian origin in the UK.
- NISAU was created to provide a unifying voice for students with Indian heritage and promote, educate and celebrate Indian culture with people of all communities.
9. Jitu Rai wins silver in ISSF World Cup:
- Shooter Jitu Rai on 25 June 2016 won silver in the 10 m Air Pistol event at the ISSF World Cup held in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- It is the second medal in a World Cup this season for Rai, who had won the free pistol gold in the first World Cup in Bangkok.
- Brazilian shooter Felipe Almeida Wu won the gold medal, while Korea’s Jin Jongoh bagged the bronze medal.
- He competes in the 10 metre air pistol and 50 metre pistol events.
- He became the first person to have won two medals at a single world cup for India.
10. Anju Bobby George & Pullela Gopichand taken as members of Khelo India:
- Anju Bobby George and Pullela Gopichand have been named as the members of Khelo India.
- Khelo India is a national programme launched by the Union Government for the development of sports in the country.
- George, India's lone athletics World Championship medal winner and Gopichand, the chief national badminton coach are the two sportsperson who were included in the seven-member committee of Khelo India.
- The committee will be headed by Sports Secretary Rajiv Yadav.
11. Lionel Messi retires from international football:
- Lionel Messi, the Barcelona star, announced his plans to retirement from international football.
- The announcement from the foot balling great of his generation came just hours after he missed the penalty in the Copa America final.
- Argentina lost 4-2 on penalties to Chile after a 0-0 draw in MetLife Stadium.
- He made his senior international debut in 2005, is his country's all-time top scorer, with 55 goals from 113 appearances.
- He plays as a forward for Spanish club Barcelona.
- He is the only footballer in the history to win five FIFA Ballons d'Or, four of which he won consecutively
- He is the first player to win three European Golden Shoes.
12. Chile beat Argentina to win 2016 Copa America Football tournament:
- Defending champion Chile won the 2016 Copa America Football tournament by defeating Argentina in a penalty shootout.
- This was second Copa America title for Chile in two years. Chile won the first title in 2015 after defeating Argentina 4-1 in a penalty shootout following a 0-0 scoreless draw at the end of regulation.
- With this, Chile also became the first team to win the Copa America in back to back years since Argentina in 1946 and 1947.
- Besides the Copa trophy, there were other awards to recognise both individuals and teams, and the winners in different categories are :- Golden Ball : Alexis Sanchez (Chile), Golden Boot : Eduardo Vargas (Chile), Golden Glove award : Claudio Bravo (Chile), and Fair Play Award : Argentina.