1. PM Narendra Modi launches Smart city Mission Projects in Pune:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ‘Smart City Mission’ involving 83 projects from 20 different cities in the country.
- The ambitious mission of Union Government was launched at function held at Pune’s Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex one year after it was announced.
- The Smart City Mission’ projects launched included 14 projects of Pune (Maharashtra) and 69 projects from 20 different shortlisted cities in the country to be implemented at a cost of 1,770 crore rupees.
- PM Modi also inaugurated ‘Make Your City SMART’ contest, aimed at involving citizens’ participation in designing smart cities.
- ‘Smart Net Portal’ was also inaugurated by PM Modi. The portal enables the cities under different urban missions to share solutions and ideas for various issues during the implementation of various missions.
2. First flight of BrahMos missile from SU-30 MKI aircraft successfully conducted:
- BrahMos Aerospace for the first time successfully demonstrated integration of the world’s most formidable supersonic cruise missile system BrahMos on the Sukhoi SU-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s (HAL) Nasik division conducted a test flight of a 2,500 kg supersonic BrahMos missile integrated with SU-30 MKI aircraft at its Nasik airport.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) became the first air force in the world in procession of a supersonic cruise missile system with a long range fighter aircraft.
- IAF also moved few steps closer towards actual test firing when a 2.5 tonnes supersonic BrahMos air-to-ground missile from the Su-30 MKI.
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile has been designed and developed by BrahMos Aerospace, a joint venture of India and Russia.
- It has top supersonic speed of Mach 2.8 and is capable of carrying a warhead of 300 kilogram. It is two-stage missile, the first one being solid and the second one ramjet liquid propellant. It can strike a target at maximum range of 290 km.
3. Union Defence Ministry gives nod for purchase of 145 Ultra Light Howitzers guns from the US:
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has given its approval to for the purchase of 145 Ultra-Light Howitzers (ULH) guns from the US.
- The procurement of ULH will be through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route from the US and it will cost around 750 million dollars.
- As part of this deal, 25 ULH guns will come to India directly from US in a fly away condition. Rest will be assembled in India at the proposed Assembly Integration and Test facility (AITF) for the weapon system in partnership with Mahindra and Mahindra Company.
- It is being manufactured by BAE Systems’ Global Combat Systems division. It is smaller and lighter. It weighs 4,100 kg and can be easily transported by helicopters. It has effective firing range of 24 km.
- It will be deployed in high altitude areas in Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh, bordering China under the Mountain Strike Corps (raised in 2013).
4. Food Security Act to be implemented in all states by next month:
- Union Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan today said the National Food Security Act will be implemented in the remaining states in next month to bring the whole country under its the ambit.
- "National Food Security Act is in force in 33 States/UTs, and in states of Tamil Nadu and Nagaland it will be implemented in next month,".
5. Asian Paints to invest Rs 4,000 crore in new units at Karnataka:
- Asian Paints Ltd is investing around Rs 4,000 crore on setting up two manufacturing plants in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, although it has cautioned that demand conditions in the current fiscal "still remain uncertain" on account of the global economic situation.
- The report said the company will be set up a paint manufacturing plant with a maximum capacity of 4,00,000 kilolitres (KL) in phases at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh at an approximate investment of Rs 1,750 crore.
6. Sprinter Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics:
- Indian sprinter Dutee Chand on 25 June 2016 qualified for Rio Olympics in the women’s 100metre event. She qualified in the games after meeting the qualification mark at 26th International Meeting G. Kosanov Memorial in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Dutee clocked 11.30 seconds beating the Rio Olympics qualification mark of 11.32 secs.
7. Social entrepreneur Zubaida Bai bags UN honour for corporate sustainability initiative:
- Zubaida Bai, an Indian social entrepreneur, has been named among the ten ‘2016 Global Compact SDG Pioneers’, an initiative launched by UN.
- The list of ten SDG Pioneers was announced by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at the 2016 UN Global Compact (UNGC) Leaders Summit in New York, United States.
- Zubaida is the founder of ‘ayzh’, a for-profit social venture providing health and livelihood solutions and technology solutions to impoverished women worldwide.
- Global Compact SDG Pioneers seeks to provide local business leaders a global stage to inspire transformational action on the SDGs.
- The UNGC is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative that supports companies to do business responsibly by aligning their operations and strategies with the ten principles of labour, environment, human rights and anti-corruption.