1. International Yoga Day observed on 21st June:
- India and the whole world are celebrating the International Day of Yoga on 21st June.
- The year 2016 it is 2nd edition of the International Day of Yoga.
- The main event in India was held at the Capitol Complex in Chandigarh where PM Narendra Modi joined the mass yoga demonstration.
- Over 96 thousand people had registered themselves to take part in the event.Over 30 thousand were picked, including 10 thousand each from Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana.
- The theme for 2016 International Day of Yoga is "Connect the Youth".
2. Govt approves proposal for Greenfield Electronic Park in Odisha:
- The department of electronics and information technology , government of India has given its final approval for setting up of a greenfield electronic park within the Infovally complex, a dedicated IT hub, on the outskirt of Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The park, to be set up under Electronic Manufacturing Cluster (EMC) scheme of the Centre, will come up on 203 acres of land at a cost of Rs. 205 crore.
- Government of India will give a grant of Rs 95 crore with the rest being contributed by the state government.
- The money will be spent on creating the common infrastructure for about 100 units to be housed within the park.
3. Virginia Raggi became first female mayor of Rome:
- Virginia Raggi, a leading member of the populist anti-corruption Five Star Movement (M5S) was elected as Rome’s first female mayor.
- She is also the first candidate from that party, M5S to be elected to Rome's mayoralty. Raggi, who will turn 38 in July 2016, is also the youngest mayor in Rome's history.
- A lawyer and local councilor, Raggi was elected to the post in the Italian capital after winning 67% of the vote in a runoff ballot against the Democratic Party’s (PD) Roberto Giachetti.
- Apart from her, Chiara Appendino another M5S candidate won the mayoral elections in Turin.
4. Jaitley releases silver coin to mark Martyrdom Day of Banda Singh Bahadur:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has released a commemorative silver coin on the occasion of 300th Martyrdom Day of Sikh General Banda Singh Bahadur.
- Bahadur is considered to be first sovereign ruler of Punjab.
- Banda Singh Bahadur was born on 1670, at Rajouri in present day Jammu and Kashmir.
- He came in contact with Guru Gobind Singh who later conferred him the title of Banda Singh Bahadur.
- He was appointed by Guru Gobind Singh as his deputy and military lieutenant.
- Banda Singh Bahadur abolished the zamindari system and granted property rights to the tillers of the land.
- He was captured by the Mughals and tortured to death in 1716.
5. Assam Government launches Maitree Ek Gyan Yatra:
- he Assam Government has launched a unique initiative "Maitree Ek Gyan Yatra" to link primary schools to high schools to colleges.
- The purpose of the programme is to change the mindset of the teachers, as in some places in states teachers of a school considered it below their dignity to teach the lower level students.
- College teachers will take classes in high schools and high schools teachers will teach in primary schools voluntarily.
- The basic idea of implementing the initiative is to improve quality of school students and create better synergy in education sector.
- Initially it will be launched at in Sivsagar district of state and later will be implemented across the state.
6. HAL unveils indigenous basic trainer aircraft HTT-40:
- Public sector aerospace Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has unveiled indigenous Basic Trainer Aircraft (BTA) HTT-40 in Bengaluru.
- The aircraft made its maiden flight at HAL Airport in Bengaluru and was flown by Group Captain C Subramaniam and Group Captain Venugopal for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Hindustan Turbo Trainer-40 (HTT-40) is two-seater aircraft designed and developed indigenously by the HAL. HTT-40 will be used for the first-stage training for all flying cadets of the three services. The programme aims to achieve its operational clearance by 2018.
7. Govt bans cancer causing chemical potassium bromate as food additive:
- The government has banned use of potassium bromate as a food additive.
- Earlier, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) had recommended to the Health Ministry about removal of potassium bromate from the list of permissible food additives after a study by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE).
- The study had found that 84% of 38 commonly available brands of pre-packaged breads, including pav and buns, tested positive for potassium bromate and potassium iodate.
8. China’s Sunway TaihuLight declared world’s fastest supercomputer:
- Chinese supercomputer "Sunway TaihuLight" with 93 petaflop/second speed was declared as the world’s fastest supercomputer.
- It was revealed in the TOP500 list of supercomputers released at the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) in Frankfurt, Germany.
- The list further revealed that the USA is not home to the largest number of systems.
- With a surge in industrial and research installations registered over the last few years, China leads with 167 systems and the USA is second with 165. The Asian share of 218 systems, up from 173 in November 2015, includes 8 supercomputers owned by Indian-based organizations.
9. South India Bank launches Remit2 India Service:
- South India Bank has announced the launch of its Remit2India Service.
- It is a secure online money transfer service for NRIs.
- The new arrangement facilitates faster, cost -effective remittance from the US to SIB accounts in India.
- Currently, south Indian Bank’s facilitity is available for remmittance from Europe, Australia, UAE and Singapore.
10. Tata-Boeing joint venture establishes an aerospace facility in Hyderabad:
- Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) and Boeing have celebrated the foundation laying of a new facility in Hyderabad for its joint venture named Tata Boeing Aerospace (TBAL).
- The joint venture has been established to co-produce Boeing AH-64 Apache helicopter fuselages and other aerostructures, as well as to pursue integrated systems in aerospace.
- The facility has been under development in pursuance of a framework agreement signed between the two companies in July 2015.