1. World Oceans Day observed on 8th June:
- World Oceans Day is annually observed on June 8 to raise awareness of the challenges humanity faces to protect the world’s oceans.
- The theme of this year is “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet”.
- The theme highlights main urgent need to curb the plastic pollution.
- The United Nations General Assembly had designated 8 June as the World Oceans Day in 2008.
2. SBI, ICICI Bank chiefs among four Indians in Forbes’ new list:
- Four Indian women are in the new list of Forbes’ world’s 100 most powerful women.
- The Forbes '100 Most Powerful Women' in the world list 2016, topped by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- The Forbes most powerful women list is the list of smartest and toughest female business leaders, entrepreneurs, investors, scientists, philanthropists and CEOs making their mark on the whole world.
- SBI Managing director Arundhati Bhattacharya ranked 25th on the list, while Chanda Kochhar comes in at the 40th spot. However, Mazumdar-Shaw is ranked 77th on the list and Bhartia is ranked 93rd on the list.
- PepsiCo Chief Indra Nooyi is ranked 14th on the list.
3. Mirza Imtiyaz Judicial Commission constituted to probe Mathura violence:
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has appointed a judicial commission to probe into the recent Mathura violence.
- The Judicial commission will be headed by retired Allahabad High Court judge Justice Mirza Imtiyaz Murtaza.
- It has been asked to submit its report in two months.
4. Shahid Rasool takes charge as Director of CEMCA:
- Shahid Rasool, a communication technology specialist, took charge as the Director of the Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA).
- Rasool will guide CEMCA in its mission to ensure effective utilisation of educational media resources for distance education.
- CEMCA is an arm of the Vancouver-based Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
- CEMCA was set up in 1994 in response to calls by Asian Commonwealth countries for a greater focus on distance education and Headquartered in New Delhi.
5. Tintu Luka won silver at Josef Odlozil Memorial Athletics Meet in Prague:
- Rio Olympics-bound Tintu Luka (27-year) has won a silver medal in 800 metres in the Josef Odlozil Memorial Athletics Meet in Czech Republic.
- Luka covered the distance with her season’s best timing of 2 minutes point Six one seconds(2:00:61).
- She is placed at 30th spot among the season’s top list.
- She is the national record holder in the women’s 800-metre race.
6. Indian-origin professor by Queen Elizabeth II:
- Eminent Indian-origin professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya has been awarded the prestigious Regius Professorship in Manufacturing by Queen Elizabeth II for his outstanding contribution in manufacturing.
- Bhattacharyya has founded Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG), at the University of Warwick in 1980 to invigorate UK manufacturing.
7. Airbus Presents 3D-Printed Mini Aircraft:
- Aerospace company Airbus has displayed the world's first 3D-printed aircraft THOR at the International Aerospace Exhibition in Schoenefe.
- The drone THOR is short for Test of High-tech Objectives in Reality and it resembles a large, white model airplane.
- THOR Is the world's first 3D-printed aircraft with just 3 parts.
- The new 3D printers can make pieces up to 40 centimetres (15 inches) long and is of most use in particularly complex designs.
8. Lucknow to host Men’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016:
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced that men’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016 will be played in the Indian city of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The men’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016 will be played between 8 December and 18 December 2016.
9. Chess grandmaster Viktor Korchnoi passes away:
- Professional Chess grandmaster Victor Korchnoi (85-year) has passed away in Wohlen, Switzerland.
- He was also a four-time USSR chess champion, a five-time member of Soviet teams that won the European championship, and a six-time member of Soviet teams that won the Chess Olympiad.
- In September 2006, he won the World Senior Chess Championship.
- Korchnoi continued to play into old age, was still ranked in the top 100 in the world at the age of 75 and was Swiss chess champion as recently as 2011.
10. Govt. to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme:
- Union Government has decided to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme with a view to promote yoga.
- It is working on the scheme and will start giving the award from 2017.
- The theme of the conference is Yoga for Holistic Health – Recent Researches.
- A conference has been organised by Ministry of AYUSH in association with Press Information Bureau and is a part of the series of planned events leading to the International Day of Yoga – 2016 which will be celebrated on 21st of June.