1. Sikkim becomes India’s first State to launch open government data portal:
- Sikkim became the first state in India to have an open government data portal linked "sikkim.data.gov.in".
- The portal was launched by Lok Sabha MP, P D Rai and also launched Open Government Data Platform (Sikkim).
- The portal has been developed by Government of Sikkim’s Information Technology Department and NIC team from Delhi.
- The open government data portal facilitates free use, reuse and redistribution of data produced or commissioned by the government or government controlled entities by anyone.
2. Saina Nehwal clinches second Australian Open title:
- Indian ace Saina Nehwal clinched her second Australian Open title after defeating China's Sun Yu in a thrilling three-game final of the Super Series badminton tournament here today.
- The 26-year-old from Hyderabad eked out a 11-21 21-14 21-19 over the World No. 12 Sun in a fighting summit clash that lasted an hour and 11 minutes here.
- It is Saina's second Australian Open victory, having clinched the title in 2014 as well.
3. SBI, CaixaBank ink pact to fund Indo-Spanish joint ventures:
- State Bank of India (SBI) and Spain's CaixaBank have inked pact to provide loans to Indo-Spanish joint ventures and local enterprises. Both have signed the Mou to enhance business synergies. The banks also cooperate through an introduction of business opportunities and partnering on possible infrastructure funds.
- The agreement was signed by CaixaBank's Executive Vice-President, International Banking, Victoria Matia and SBI's Chief General Manager Sujit Kumar Varma.
- Under this JV, the banks will collaborate in areas of mutual interest such as syndicated loan business, guarantee transactions, trade finance and export credit agency finance, infrastructure finance and networking services, among others. Besides, Both bank's clients will be able to use the vast combined network to expand their businesses abroad and through this agreement, both SBI and CaixaBank will gain direct access to their respective markets of operation.
4. Satya Pal Jain appointed as Law Commission member:
- Additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian Satya Pal Jain was appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
- The appointment will be in addition to his charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
- He is a noted constitution lawyer and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader.
- He has been the Dean of the Law Faculty of Panjab University and is a Member of the Panjab University Senate for the last 40 years.
5. Union Ministry of Power launches Surya Mitra Mobile App:
- The Union Ministry of Power has launched Surya Mitra mobile App to serve customers in the field of renewable energy.
- The app was launched by Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal at National Workshop on Rooftop Solar Power held in New Delhi.
- The App will serve customers at their doorsteps with quality installation, repair, and Observations and Measurements (O&M) in the field of renewable energy.
- Surya Mitra Mobile App has been developed by National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), an autonomous institution of Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- Using this app, customers can avail services like maintenance, serving and repairing at the click of a button on their mobiles.
6. Karnataka Bank former chairman MS Krishna Bhat passes away:
- The former Chairman of Karnataka Bank Mr. M.S. Krishna Bhat has passed away in Mangaluru. He was 78 years old.
- He had joined the bank in 1970 and was elevated to the position of General Manager in 1989. He became the Chief General Manager of the bank in 1994 and took over as Chairman on July 12, 1995, for a period of two years, which was extended for another three years up to July 2000.
- He was known for his straightforwardness, foresight, and quick decision-taking capacity.