1. Manipur’s Karang is India’s first cashless island:
- Karang, a small lake island in Manipur, has become the India’s first cashless island.
- The Union ministry of electronics and information technology under its Digital India program announced Karang as the first cashless island in India.
- The Karang island is located in the middle of Loktak, the largest freshwater lake in Northeast India.
2. 58th India International Garment Fair begins in New Delhi:
- Textiles Minister Smriti Zubin Irani has inaugurated three-days 58th edition of India International Garment Fair (IIGF) at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- It has been organized by the Apparel Export Promotion Council India.
- The event is one of the largest and most popular platforms in Asia, from which overseas garment buyers can source products and forge business relationships with India’s finest players in the apparel and fashion accessories domain.
- The India International Garment Fair (IIGF) was started in 1988.
3. Petroleum Conservation Campaign ‘Saksham 2017’ Inaugurated in Nagaland:
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP & NG) inaugurated one month long oil and gas conservation campaign Saksham-2017 at a function in Unity College Dimapur in Nagaland on January 16, 2017.
- The mass awareness campaign was inaugurated by chief guest Ramongo Lotha, secretary Food and Civil Supplies.
- The main aim of such campaign is to spread the awareness on fuel conservation so as to minimize the wastage of petroleum products as the demand for it remains high.
4. Karnataka allows sale of white kerosene in open market:
- The Karnataka government allowed to the sale of white kerosene in open market.
- State Food and Civil Supplies Minister UT Khader stated that the government has issued an order this effect.
- Those interested in selling white kerosene in open market can approach the office of the Food and Civil Supplies in their districts.
5. 3-day Pratibha-Parva being observed in Madhya Pradesh:
- Three-day Pratibha-Parva is being observed in all the government middle schools in Madhya Pradesh.
- The evaluation of academic achievements of 78 lakh students pursuing studies in class I to VIII is being made during the Parv.
- Subject-based evaluation will be made of students in one lakh 14 thousand government schools in the first two days.
- The progress in basic capabilities and subject based capabilities will be evaluated with cooperation of UNICEF.
6. India & Mauritius Sign MoU for Cooperation in the field of Cooperatives:
- India and Mauritius signed a MoU for cooperation in the field of cooperatives and related areas.
- The MoU was signed between Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh, and the Indian Ocean island country's Business, Enterprise and Cooperatives Minister Soomilduth Bholah.
- The MoU will enable the two countries to collaborate in this vital sector and can significantly benefit thousands of Mauritians.
- India offered to exchange its expertise and technology with Mauritius in agro industry, fisheries and dairy sector.
7. India ranked 78th in global ‘Passport Index’:
- Indian passport has been ranked 78 in a global ranking of the world’s most powerful passports which was topped by Germany.
- Germany stands at the top with a visa-free score of 157, while Singapore overtakes South Korea and becomes the highest ranked Asian passport with a visa-free score of 156.
8. Antonio Tajani is the new president of the European Parliament:
- Italian conservative Antonio Tajani has been elected as the new President of the European Parliament.
- He defeated his centre-left compatriot Gianni Pittella by 351 votes to 282.
- Mr. Tajani is a former spokesman for Italy's Silvio Berlusconi and an ex-European commissioner.
9. NASA approves mission to explore iron-rich asteroid 16 Psyche:
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has approved a mission to explore 16 Psyche, an iron-rich asteroid.
- As part of the mission, NASA craft will be launched in 2023, and will arrive at Psyche in 2030.
- The mineral contents on the asteroids are worth over 100-thousand times the value of the entire world economy.
- Psyche asteroid has diameter in excess of 125 miles and is almost entirely composed of iron and nickel.
10. World’s lightest watch unveiled in Geneva:
- The world’s ultralight high-performance mechanical watch RM 50-03 was inaugurated on January 16, 2017 at the 27th edition of the Salon International De La Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) in Geneva.
- The watch made up of graphene composite has been developed by the University ofLightest Watch of the World made Using Graphene Launched Manchester, UK in collaboration with the watchmaking brand Richard Mille and McLaren F1.
- The overall weight of the ultralight watch is 40 grams only and is extremely durable.
11. Jacob Polley wins 2016 T S Eliot Prize for Poetry:
- British Poet "Jacob Polley" has won the 2016 T.S. Eliot prize for his collection "Jackself".
- The award ceremony was organized at the Wallace Collection Gallery in London(UK).
- Jackself is a sequence of narrative poems partly inspired by his childhood in Cumbria, England.
- The coveted award was founded by T.S. Eliot's widow Valerie in 1993 and is now run by the TS Eliot Foundation.
12. Kolkata’s Sitalpati Gets place in UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage:
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) has registered Sitalpati or cool mat from the Cooch Behar district, West Bengal as an Sitlapati "intangible cultural heritage".
- The Sitalpati are the mats that are used for siting or hanging on the doors or windows during summer season.
- They are made up of weaved green cane slips of murta plants widely found in the region.
13. BSNL launches mobile TV service Ditto TV:
- State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) announced mobile TV service ‘Ditto TV’.
- BSNL also launched limited fixed mobile telephony, an app that virtually turns mobiles into cordless phone working in sync with landline phones.
14. Yes Bank Launches Business Accelerator Program Yes Fintech:
- Private sector lender YES BANK in collaboration with T-Hub, Anthill and Lets Talk Payments launched a unique business accelerator program YES FINTECH to provide start-ups a platform for creating sustainable and market ready products as well as provide innovative banking solutions to the customers.
15. Yes Bank Launches India’s First Customisable Savings Account:
- YES Bank has launched a first of its kind unique Customizable Savings Account to enable the customers to design an account as per their convenience.
- YES bank has become the first bank in India to launch such type of account that enables the customer to choose various features of a savings accounts that suits one’s own lifestyle.
16. Kapil Dev inducted into Legends Club Hall of Fame:
- Former Indian cricketer, Kapil Dev Ramlal Nikhanj (Kapil Dev) has been inducted into Legends Club "Hall of Fame" in presence of former India captains Ajit Wadekar, Sunil Gavaskar and Nari Contractor at the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai.
- Country's greatest all-rounder Kapil Dev led India to the emphatic World Cup victory in 1983.
17. Farrukh Amonatov wins Delhi International Open chess tournament:
- Top seeded Grandmaster Farrukh Amonatov has won the 15th edition of the Delhi International Chess tournament.
- Amanotov scored 8.5 points out of a ten and stayed a half point ahead of Ghosh and Dzhumaev Marat of Uzbekistan.
- Ghosh was declared the runner-up based on his better tiebreak.